This is the argument my dad used to justify "new light"

by marmot 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Couple thoughts, first, scientific new light rarely completely contradicts previous light. For example the sky is blue is rarely replaced with the sky is now fluorescent tan! The theory of gravity is STILL discussed and debated as new understandings of how objects in space interact, however I DON'T expect to hear any time soon that gravity doesn't exist and any one who talks about gravity will be shunned and their families won't talk to them!

Thats another thing is that science even NOW discusses many of the ideas that are now known to be incorrect. Try talking to the JW's about old light. THAT is the difference.

• oompa
    oompa
    mkr: Couple thoughts, first, scientific new light rarely completely contradicts previous light. For example the sky is blue is rarely replaced with the sky is now fluorescent tan!

Oh Contrair MKR!! WT can change the color of the sky if God reveals it to them.....everyone else is just seeing it without the benefit of Cabled in Holy Spirit. Lookie what I found just last week:

BROOKLYN., NY., JANUARY 15, 1918 Could everyone please read this goodie I just found!...oompa..it is short

ARE THE ADVERSARIES INCREASING IN POWER (article)

TIlE DIVINE PLAN (sub-heading)

Jehovah foreknew that Adam would disobey him and that

all of hls progeny would suffer sickness sorrow and death.

In the exercise of his loving kindness and perfect wisdom,

Go,1 provided redemption of mankind from death through tim

blood of Jesus, his beloved Son. He further foreordained

and provided that because of his full obedience to the, d.ivine

will and program, Jesus should be exalted above all other

Hot Damn that was bad lighting back then! When the strobe fired next, there has never been ANYTHING EVER foreordained! SEEEEEEE MKR the sky really is flouresent tan.....oompa

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

You know, the more I think about it, the story of Noah's Flood sounds more and more like a fable. When I think about from both a logistics and humanitarian standpoint, it doesn't add up. Think about it...and "then he gave a the rainbow as a reminder". Something about that event definitely got lost in translation.

• Carl_Hernz
    Carl_Hernz

The Witness are not only lying to themselves and others that they are taught via this “new light,”
    they are quite ignorant of “old light” as well.

While the Witnesses believe that the Genesis account of the flood should be considered as strictly
    historical, this is a very ancient exegete stand. Religious and historical scholarship agrees that
    the purpose of Genesis is not to be found in its details, but in the meanings behind the stories.
    Some are of the opinion that these chapters are mere legendary tales, while according to others they
    preserve a historical tradition under poetic expression. The Witnesses’ doctrine that every detail
    of the narration should be literally interpreted and trusted in as scientific fact does dishonor to
    the writer’s original intent who is attempting to teach a moral lesson, not provide dry, dead
    analysis of a past event.

Truths are rarely expressed in literal terms, even in modern days. Illustrations get points across
    better, and even if a story is totally fiction (take many of Jesus’ parables for example), this
    doesn’t make the truths expressed therein any less valuable. However the Witnesses have no real
    experience in ancient textual scholarship or Biblical analysis, and they are not interested in any
    real light from sources that do not serve their own narrow purposes. If the Witnesses are truly open
    to truth they would do well to learn the ancient Christian art of apologetics which follows the
    scientific method to prove its reasoning, which like all other sciences is open to independent
    review and confirmation.

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

Tell your Dad that scientists don't claim to be inspired by God, so it's understandable if they make errors. Can the same be said of the Watchtower Society? What CD-ROM references did he provide you to "prove" the Flood was real? I have been in correspondence with the Society about their misuse of secular sources...maybe your Dad would like to see the original source material?

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Also in science you learn about the mistakes of the past. You learn about the science blunders and how they were fixed or how the problems were identified. Do the witnoids do that?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

The Scientific Method is a structured method of discovery which encourages (in fact, insists on) independent research, testing, and verification of ideas subjected to its rigors. Rational opposed arguments and alternate explanations are also sought out and encouraged. There is no conflict in science if four dominant theories coexist explaining the same set of phenomena.

The JW "New Light" doctrine is a method of informing a religion's adherents by one-way communication of a changed understanding. It is forbidden to subject "New Light" to independent research, testing, or verification of ideas thus communicated on pain of disfellowshipping. Conformance is required; rational opposed arguments are harshly silenced. Unanimity is guarded at all costs; in the name of unity.

The JW method of revelation is the encyclopaedic textbook definition of "Propaganda" and the Scientific Method employs education.

There is no justification for the "New Light" doctrine.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

There was an interesting show about the flood on the History channel. I don't remember all of it, but the gist of the show was that the Holy Bibley account was probably based on other stories from that time and that it was probably about an Assyrian (I'm not sure that that was the nationality though) merchant who rode out a local flood in a sea south of Mt. Arrarat. It was very interesting. I hope they show it again soon. Sorry I don't have more details...I didn't take notes!

• IT Support
    IT Support
    Plus, ... I should consider how science doesn't have the same position on certain subjects compared to the past and that it's based on progressive understanding.

Your dad's right: science is based on progressive understanding. (Sir Isaac Newton: "standing on the shoulders of giants," etc.)

The difference is the status of the present "understanding":

• WT claims to be "God's sole channel of communication with mankind" and will disfellowship you and require your friends and family to shun you and will rip your family apart if you dare disagree with or question their conclusions. In other words, JWs are required to accept changing WT doctrines as if each is the word of god.
    • Science encourages questioning and open debate. You will not be disfellowshipped or have your family ripped from you if you question their conclusions. (Though you may be thought a fool if you do so without sound evidence.)
  • dawg
    dawg

I wanted to say what Carl Heintz said... Science doesn't claim that God is instructing them-and I can question science without my family disfellowshipping me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit