Bill Cosby, seems to be right.

by free2beme 47 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I work for a telecommunications company and in so doing, I deal with a lot of fraud. Now, what I am about to say could come across as racist and I hope people read the whole thing to get what I am saying and know I am not racist (... to add though, I really am past caring what people think).

In the state of North Carolina, you can run up your phone bill to $1000's and $1000's and by law you only have to pay basic local service to keep services on. Meaning, you can call your phone company and pay $25 on your phone bill and still keep services, even though your bill is like $1600. This was probably put in place to prevent people from losing there services for 911 and other medical needs. Yet it has become something else. People set up service, accept about $1000 in collect calls from their friends and relatives in prison and then never pay it. Which is fraud! So how is this racist in some possible way? Because the people we know do this the most in North Carolina, are African American. Don't ask me how I know, I know. I get so angry by this, as I think this is another example of what Bill Cosby has been preaching about in his older years.

If you do not follow what I am saying, then I will highlight it a little. Bill Cosby has been coming down on the African Americans in this country, to use the opportunities created for them by those like Martin Luther King and so on, to make their future better. Stop teen pregnancy, reliance on government assistance and turning to a life of crime. He is frustrated, as it is not happening nearly enough and a lot are filling prisons and basically feeding the stereotype that should be coming to an end, with all the legal battles and social battles that have been fought and won. Some one has to say it, and who better then Bill Cosby. Yet many in the African American community are angry he has said these things, even though statics do not lie.

So why is it, in a phone company of thousands of employees. Is this thought I mentioned so noticeable that I could speak to anyone in the company and have them go, "Yes, I see that all the time!" It makes me mad, for one it is illegal. For another, I think it shows a waste of what was created to make things better. A waste of people who spent their time and even cost their lives to make things better. Yet, with 100% certainty, I will deal with this over and over each day of the coming work weak.

In my opinion, racist thinking and behavior is something that has to be cured both ways and I applaud Bill Cosby for his thoughts and think it is worth noting.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I always loved what Dave Chapelle said about the Bill Cosby, "people forget Bill Cosby's a n*gg** from the streets and he says some real shit...he's a brother from South Philly and he tells it like it is sometimes." Just paraphrasing but in your case I think it is more class then race. Good thing to know though as I live in NC

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I admire Bill Cosby for telling the truth even when it is unpopular. I watched a couple of graduation speeches he has given (on CSPAN) and agreed with everything he said.

I also appreciate him because his show was the only clue I ever had about how families could be and it gave me hope.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I applaud Cosby's stance on this issue. We need to actually raise our kids instead of letting them raise themselves.

BUT

the same can be said of us white folks or the native population or _____ (you fill it in)

We live in a society where if there are 2 parents they are often both working. So who is minding the kids?

Or the single parents have to work and raise kids. If mom or dad has a job that goes until 5 then who looks after the kids until the parents get home?

Extended family that helps to care for the children are in most cities a thing of the past. People grow up and move away to other parts of the country and then have no safety net but to rely on the few resources there are.

Many people grew up as welfare kids and just have no idea how to parent because no one parented them.

My mother had 4 kids to care for and no money. When she went to work I was taking care of the kids. At 8 or 18 I should not have been raising her kids. Only one of her kids (my sister) graduated from high school -- and that was because she was living in a group home after my mother was deemed unfit to care for her. I quit high school to care for my siblings but later (post JW) went to college and later university. I'm the only one who did go further in getting an education.

Cosby gets to rant about the black parents and kids and because he is black maybe someone will listen. I commend him for his attempt to wake people up.

But you could go to any place in any country and find the same could be said about any poplulation - usually a minority group

• yknot
    yknot

I have to say that I have read many things by Dr. Poissant. I recently caught both he and Cosby on Tim Russet, their argument is sincere. The level of expectation needs to rise.

That said many have risen, and are not recognized , to those CHEERS!

Y

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Bill doesn't practice everything he preaches.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I never look to men to be perfect, but I appreciate a good thought and message. Even if Hitler were to say it!!!

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

I disagree with Bill.

What would make me more likely to be right than Bill?

How about Bill quit cheating on Camille, and quit speaking for me.

• watson
    watson

Probably not worth listening to then. Give me a break.

• changeling
    changeling

Bill Cosby's new motto is: "It's not what they are doing to you, it's what you are not doing".

In other words, don't focus on the injustices perpetrated on you and your race, rather, focus on what you can do; things like, checking your kids homework, knowing who your kids friends are, setting a good example for your kids...

I think he makes a lot of sense. All in all, good advice for people of all races.

changeling

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit