Dumbledore is gay.

by Priest73 34 Replies latest jw friends

• valkyrie
    valkyrie
    I thought this was interesting from the BBC news: "But I am disappointed that she did not make Dumbledore's sexuality explicit in the Harry Potter book. Making it obvious would have sent a much more powerful message of understanding and acceptance." She didn't make anyone else's sexuality explicit, it wasn't that kind of book, so why make Dumbledore's sexuality explicit? It would have changed the nature of the book which was about the hero's journey, not about sexuality.

Funny, that. Overt references to heterosexuality are so commonplace and integral to public life and culture that long-running themes based on that topic are blithely overlooked.

Embedded in the storylines of the Harry Potter books are workups of the heterosexual relationships of: Harry's aunt and uncle (Vernon and Petunia - a married couple, whose sexuality resulted in one offshoot, Dudley); Mr. and Mrs. Arthur and Molly Weasley and their resultant offspring [their fertile coupling produced 7 named children - including Harry's closest friend, Ron]; Lucius Malfoy and Narcissa Black (evidently - at one time, anyway - a heterosexual pairing, resulting in Harry's tormentor, Draco Malfoy); the half-giant Magical Creatures instructor, Hagrid, and the half-giantess Olympe (headmistress of another magical arts school); and, the many students of Hogwarts who dated, hinted at crushes, fell in love, kissed, pined and moped in a simmering stew of adolescent sexual tension whilst in the confines of a co-educational boarding school.

Why, the books are rampant with explict references to characters' sexuality! When does bombardment become subliminal?

-V

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Of all the kinds of religious prejudice, the one against gays is one of the hardest to understand. Why does anyone care, or want to control, who people have sex with?
    "Christian Fundamentalism: The doctrine that there is an absolutely powerful, infinitely knowledgeable, universe spanning entity that is deeply and personally concerned about my sex life." Andrew Lias

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Gretchen956:

1. bfd who cares, the actor that portrays him is gay, which is, I think the first role in a mainstream of a gay character that actually got to be played by a gay male. Wow - progress.

Michael Gambon is not gay, nor was Richard Harris. You must be thinking of that other wizard.

And on gay actors playing gay characters, what about Stephen Fry as Oscar Wilde in Wilde?

• James Free
    James Free

"Of all the kinds of religious prejudice, the one against gays is one of the hardest to understand."

Exactly, so if a Wizard is gay, so what? However, it it was Rawling's intention to do more than sensationalize her book, why doesn't he have a partner in the book? Outing a character in this way sounds more like a publicity stunt than a serious attempt to encourage tolerance.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Ghandalf - Ian Mc.???spelling??

And on gay actors playing gay characters, what about Stephen Fry as Oscar Wilde in Wilde?

Oh yeah, good one.

I read on the net that someone writing or otherwise working on the movie was trying to write in a past female love interest for him and she stepped in and say 'No, he's gay.' I don't think she was trying to make a deal of it, I think she was pushed into a corner where she had to clarify.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit