On sending money and flowers to posters in loss . . .

by Happy Harvester 26 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I don't know about ALL cases... but personally, I feel that if someone needs a bit of assistance - even if it is financially - and I am able to do so - AND I know the person (even if only through the forum) - then I will assist them.

I guess I missed all of the 'Trevor' and 'Linda' fiasco - just learned about it through the last few days.

I just hope those that need assistance do not feel the need to not ask for it, although my experience is that they usually do not - and one usually has to almost 'force' them to accept it.

Just my .02 worth. (I hope this makes sense.)

Regards,

Jim TX

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I just hope those that need assistance do not feel the need to not ask for it, although my experience is that they usually do not - and one usually has to almost 'force' them to accept it.

I know in my case, it made me very uncomfortable for anyone to suggest I might need financial assistance. If it had not been that two little boys were involved in my situation, I probably wouldn't have accepted help. I am very, very grateful for the help we have received from JWD and from St. Mark's and other sources. Andy, Julian and Mickey (though he is really too young to understand and has been out of my care since June) are grateful, too. And what you all have done speaks volumes for the fact that our siblinghood continues in an unconditional way outside the org. I know that if you find yourself in the circumstances we did, while still inside, you might end up in a committee meeting, rather than receiving help and encouragement.

• Happy Harvester
    Happy Harvester

I did not intend to start an argument at all on the merits of helping anyone, just to say that I'd rather be sure I know who I am helping, than get involved in a scam.

Obviously, I do care about it; otherwise, I would not have brought it up.

I am so glad that help was available to all who have needed it, sincerely!

And one day, when I am able, I will get to an apostafest.

Rabbit, you have a PM that I'm also posting here because it applies to anyone else who might, understandably, feel as you do. I am making some major changes in my approach and attitudes about things and I am familiar with this forum, as many of you are also familiar with me:

I just wanted to respond to your reply to me at the thread on trvorgate.I actually have been posting at JWD for a couple of years, but have changed my screen name due to anonymity issues.I have exposed too many details about myself and my family here (particularly while drinking), and prefer to remain anonymous. I also asked Skully to please delete my original account because of this.If you have any questions, feel free to ask her about it, although I still prefer to remain anonymous.I will forward this PM to her, just in case you (or anybody else) cares to pursue it.I do not care to associate my new screen name with my old one for the reasons outlined above.

• restrangled
    restrangled

It is up to each individual to reply to requests for help. They can decide to contribute in some way, whether it be financial or of other means, ....or not....no one is twisting anyones arm.

I never contributed or a sent a card to the T and L scenerio, although I did respond to threads. Somehow it never rang true to me. Too perfect, too, too too. He struck me as a phoney from the beginning but I wasn't sure and so did not invest my emotions or anything else for that matter.

On the other hand there have been people in true need here. I would have never started the thread had I not been very sure of who I was asking for. This person was sent some not so nice PMs.

Shame on all who did that.

If you feel confortable and are able to help, do it. If you are uncomfortable, don't bother and don't respond to the requests for help.

r.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I want to say that I personally never received any ugly PM's, thank goodness. I did receive a call of concern from a spouse of someone who helped and I completely understood her concern. She wasn't ugly to me and was actually very helpful with kind and wise advice.

I'd rather give someone the benefit of the doubt than to go off on him/her. When people experience tragedy and loss of the magnetude that we have this year, it would have be devastating to be constantly second guessed and berated. Fear of that would be a huge reason why people who are truly in need might refuse desperately needed help.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Happy Harvester,

I'll take your word, because, it sounds true. I'm not the sort to hound people, especially on a discussion board.

I completely understand 'saying too much' and wishing to start over...and I'm glad you were able to do that. Thank you for explaining that you weren't really a 'newbie'. The things you did say legitimately raised a lot of red flags in several people's minds. But, as far as I'm concerned, now that you've explained how you know so much about the goings on here...Welcome Back !

I apologize if my questions caused you any grief. And, I hope this time 'round will be better for you.

Hi, I'm Rabbit

• Happy Harvester
    Happy Harvester

Thank you for the response, Rabbit. Nice to meet you!

Also, I wish to reiterate that I was not suggesting we never help each other in times of trouble - just that we all need to be circumspect - as you have been, Rabbit, and as I have at times failed to be - on discussion boards.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit