by purplesofa 15 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I can't post the link sorry........

[URL blocked]

Former church elder guilty of sex offence

Betty Ann Adam, The StarPhoenix

Published: Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A former elder of the Jehovah's Witnesses Lakeview church pleaded guilty Wednesday to sexual exploitation of a teenage girl who was a member of the same congregation.

Wendell Willick, 47, changed his plea and admitted he touched the teenager with his hands and penis over a three-year period between January 1996 and November 1999. He will be sentenced Oct. 5.

The complainant, now 25, was 14 when the offences began and 17 when they ended.

View Larger Image View Larger Image

Wendell Willick arrives at Queen's Bench Court Tuesday
    Gord Waldner, The StarPhoenix

Her identity is protected by a publication ban.

"Through the temple and his relationship with the complainant's family, he took a special interest in the complainant, who was experiencing difficulties in her life at the time," Crown prosecutor Sandeep Bains said in an interview after the hearing at Court of Queen's Bench.

"The families were friendly and socialized together extensively. He would have met her when she was 13."

Willick's lawyer Daryl Labach said his client voluntarily gave up his role as an elder in the church several years ago, in part because of the allegations, and left the church entirely in 2004.

The woman went to police with allegations concerning Willick in 2004.

"This whole situation with the complainant had nothing to do with his being an elder at the church," Labach said. "He said the church had absolutely nothing to do with this. The fault's all his.

"He was counselling her as a friend of the family. They were all good friends because they all happened to go to the same church. That's just where they met. He was just trying to help her out in the context of being a good family friend because she had so many problems. Things just ended up going to another level, which he says they shouldn't have."

Bains said the guilty plea represents closure to a lengthy ordeal for the complainant.

"She has had this hanging over her life for over 10 years. There's some relief from this burden that has been there for so long," Bains said.

Willick also resigned this week as CEO of Point 2 Technologies, a Saskatoon-based Internet commerce software company for Realtors and heavy equipment sellers. Willick, his brother and a group of private investors founded the company in 1996 and it has since grown to employ about 100 people here and in Vancouver, said company spokesperson Roger Novjeim.

Willick submitted his resignation last week and the company's board accepted it at a meeting Tuesday, Novjeim said.

"Mr. Willick and the board wanted to separate his personal matter from the company," he said.

Willick pleaded guilty after Justice Martin Popescul rejected his application earlier this week to have the charge stayed.

Labach argued Tuesday the complainant violated a court order to give the judge a diary she referred to in her original, written complaint to the police.

Labach was not satisfied the diary the woman handed over was the only one in existence. While no one but the judge was allowed to see the diary, Labach relied on the judge's finding that the diary he received did not contain any relevant information.

The woman's complaint had stated, "I kept a diary especially during this time." The one she handed in began in March 1999, leading Labach to argue there must have been at least one volume written during the earlier months and years of the sexual offences.

Labach had hoped to convince the judge the woman's refusal to co-operate violated Willick's Charter rights in a way that could only be remedied by throwing the case out of court.

"We always felt there were other diaries which had not been turned over. If a person's not going to turn it over, it affects my client's ability to make full answer and defence," Labach said.

Popescul said he believed the woman, who testified Tuesday that the diary she produced was the only one referred to in her statement and about which she was questioned at the preliminary hearing.

Willick was allowed to remain free pending sentencing, but was ordered to turn over his passport.

He was originally also charged with sexual assault, but was committed to stand trial only on the sexual exploitation charge following a preliminary hearing in 2005.

[email protected]

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

blocked?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Ok, maybe this has already been posted and even the sentence as I had not noticed the date before I posted it. Just recieved it in an email this morning.

purps

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Reading the lawyer's comments, one can't help but wonder if the lawyer is a witness or has the WT Society as a client. He seems unusually interested in separating his client's actions from the church.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    Reading the lawyer's comments, one can't help but wonder if the lawyer is a witness or has the WT Society as a client. He seems unusually interested in separating his client's actions from the church.

I wondered that too, but seems the reporter did not buy it!!

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

cool....it's all coming out of the woodwork, even faster than anyone would have dreamed.

Thanks for the post.

LINDA

• anewme
    anewme

Wow.

Good.

• dawg
    dawg

Everyday now we read these things; nice to be protected by church hiarchy isn't it?

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

I emailed a link to this story to my good friend who is still a loyal JW. She and I lived within a few hours of the place where the abuse took place during the time when it was occuring. Her son was abused and nothing was done so I thought maybe this would get her to see the corruption in the organization.

This is part of the email I got back from her.

There is a lot wrong with how things are still done, but I have two lines of reasoning about this: Jehovah allows things to happen for reasons we may never know, or not find out until later. Sometimes, he gives someone enough rope to hang themselves, so that the proof becomes irrefutable. These pedophiles are master manipulators, and I know of two cases where if it hadn't played out like it did, the truth would've stayed hidden, and we would've all been fooled to this day. And, the other line of reasoning I have is that the elders are not doctors, or counsellors, or cops. They're a bunch of imperfect men who are supposed to look after our spiritual needs. That's it. I think many people attributed too much power to them, and many of them used it. Even now, there are people in the congregation who want the elders to make their decisions for them, and then whine and complain when it doesn't turn out right!

Now the elders are told that they have to report ALL cases of child abuse as soon as it is reported, whether they think it is true or not, and leave it up to the authorities to deal with. Perhaps that is why there are more cases coming out? I think the pressure is coming from all sides now, but I'll tell you something. I think the internet is a tool of the Devil. That may sound crazy, but it's full of so much poison, the little good that it does do is not worth it. I don't trust anything I read online in any shape or form, because I can verify so little of it. Just look at the faster pace of moral and societal decay ever since the World Wide Web became a household name. There is just too much temptation, and even if you don't get onto something sick and debased, you spend hours and hours on it that do nothing but turn your brain into mush. I use the internet for 2 reasons and only 2 reasons: To do business, like ordering for my customers, and to stay in touch with the few friends and family I have.

This subject is very close to home for me. There isn't a day that goes by that we don't have to deal with what that low life did to our son, and our family. I resent him for the fact he stole so much from us, and he went his merry way without giving us a thought. But, if I dwell on that, I start to spiral down into a deep abyss. I can get suicidal over it. I have. I know I am frequently homocidal- I'm afraid of what I would do to him if I ever saw him again. But I know where the blame lies. If he had never done what he did- this would not even be an issue. It's his fault alone. Even if he would've been dealt with as the scum he is, it wouldn't have changed the fact that our son lost his childhood because of him. I've thought that I wished he were dead, but even that brings no peace. Then, he might be resurrected. I'd rather he die at Armageddon. One can only hope.

I know that you said you have been having issues with the organization. I won't try and preach to you, because I have issues of my own. But I truly believe that everybody does the best they can, and leave it at that. Even when I go to the hall, I don't go because other people say I should, or because I want to make friends anymore, or because I need direction. I go because I feel that I need to maintain a measure of a relationship with Jehovah, and to do that, I need to be fed spiritually. I tried to do that on my own, and I starved. There is nowhere else to go, and baby, it's cold outside! You just do what you feel comfortable with, but don't let what somebody else says affect your decisions. Be true to yourself, and Jehovah. Those are the only 2 people that matter.

I'm glad you sent me that article, and that you feel such outrage. That's a good sign. It shows that you're a caring, thinking person. Don't let it bring you down, too much, though. Punishment comes in more than one way, or from one source. Any sick mother _____ who would do such things doesn't come off unscathed in the end- what goes around comes around eventually. Love you

It breaks my heart.
    Bobbi

• emy the infidel
    emy the infidel

That sounds vaguely familiar, but I got away thank goodness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit