Getting your car ready for winter

by noni1974 15 Replies latest jw friends

• noni1974
    noni1974

Any sugestions??I just got a car in March and this will be my first winter driving it.I know I need a snow brush but those are pretty common around here.

Anything I should do to the car it's self??

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

Did you buy a brand new car or a used car?

If you bought a new car, this first winter your car should not need anything but routine maintenance. If you bought a used car, you should have the coolant checked and have your cooling system flushed and refilled, if necessary. Also check your tires. Driving on icy roads is hard enough, even with good tires.

CyrusThePersian

• noni1974
    noni1974

I bought a used car with 50,000 miles on it.It's 13 years old but has very low milage.I only paid 350.00 for it and it runs like a charm.

I know it needs a flush and fill of the cooliant.It also needs the tires rotated and checked for presure.MY brakes are good because they are completely brand new.

What about a tune up?? Should I get one?

• blondie
  • CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

I wouldn't worry about the tune up so much. Today's cars with their electronically controlled ignition systems can run for ages between tune ups. See your owners' manual. It may have some guidelines.

The thing I would consider is your tires. On a car with 50,000 miles, it's a strong possibility that your tires are original. If so, they are worn out-even if they don't appear to be. Radial tires can still have what appears to be good tread and still be worn out.

Also on a car that old in Ohio, you may also want to check your car for rust-through. This could be potentially dangerous, especially in the event of an accident. A friend of mine had a Datsun B210 that unknown to him had rusted out. He hit a guard rail on an icy road and his car practically disintegrated! He said afterward that he couldn't even tell that it was his car.

Mainly though, check those tires and get your coolant flushed.

CyrusThePersian

• noni1974
    noni1974

Ok I looked at those links (thanks Blondie) and it looks like I need the radiator flushed and filled.I also need a tune up and I know my serpintine belt need replaced because I know it has tiny little cracks in it due to the car sitting for a long time.

I got a complete brake system replaced in March when I bought the car.I also bought a new battery for it this summer.I had the coolant checked before I went on a trip last month but I need a flush and fill for sure.

Thank goodness my Dad will do the work for me.

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

In your part of the country, I'd make sure I had studded tires, maybe even install an engine heater, make sure the spark plugs are all good and if you're in a hurry in the mornings, get yourself a can of de-Icer for the windshield (if you have no covered parking). Keep a blanket in your car, booster cables, flashlight and CHAINS, just in case.

LINDA

Good luck with your car.

• noni1974
    noni1974

I actually used to sell tires.I've checked my tires and all they need is rotated.I also need to keep and eye on the PSI.Other then that I will be fine.

The reason I want a tune up is because the car sat for a while before I bought it.It used to belong to an old guy who never drove it.He got too sick to drive it and it sat till he sold it to another guy.The guy I bought it from also let it sit for a while after the brake system went out.It had the factory brakes on it and I've already replaced everything.Caliper Rotors Hoses Pads Wheel Cylinders Drums and Shoes are all new.

The winters around here don't get bad enough for studs or chains.My car is front wheel drive so it will be easy to drive on the snow with all season tire that I already have.

I am planning on having a blanket or two in the car with me as well as a shovel.

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

Shovel? Good idea. How about a bag of kitty litter (the cheap one). Glad you don't need chains or studs, I just thought Ohio was like upstate NY when it comes to the snow and BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR cold temps.

LINDA

• noni1974
    noni1974

HE HE no Upstate NY get snowed on in feet.We get snowed on in inches.

Actually lake effect snow can get pretty bad but I live on the west side of Cleveland and the lake effect seems to really only affect the east side.The far east side at that.Like about 45 or 50 miles from where I live.I also live with in a mile of Lake Erie.It's usually warmer in the winter near the lake and cooler in the heat.

Don't get me wrong it can snow a foot or more in one day but they keep the roads pretty clear during the storms and it's usually cleaned up totaly by the morning.I don't drive in snow that bad anyway.I stick to the area where I live if I have to leave the house while it's snowing.No cross town expiditions for me while it's bad out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit