Italian JWs growing up with the belt! Can you relate?

by Frank.L 29 Replies latest jw friends

• James Free
    James Free

I'm English and I was beaten all the time. I have had a sweeping brush pole broken over my back and my father used his leather belt at almost every 'family bible study'. One time my mother swung a cricket bat at my legs. I sidestepped and she got the full force of the swing right back at her. That was funny! Though I payed for it later. I don't know so much about beatings, but in Wales it is still commonplace to see a mother or father hitting their children at the meetings, even though it is not socially acceptable in public places anymore.

• Mincan
    Mincan

My mother is a quarter Italian. I'm an 8th.

Wooden spoons, plastic spoons, folded belt, straight belt, fly swatter, spatula, toys, sticks, open palm hand, close fist hand, anger, yelling, pleading, crying, whimpering, panting, frustration, confusion.

Putting on 5 or 6 pairs of underwear before the beating and praying it would be a simply pants-up experience. Got caught doing that once, she thought it was funny so I didn't get another "proper" one.

Grandpa was the worst, when he had a headache and the children continued to laugh and enjoy themselves. Bend over the bed, pull down your pants and underwear, get 3 of the hardest welts with a leather belt ever. Thank god my balls weren't fully developed and hanging out behind...

Frank.L can tell you all about my beatings... haha, was I in the back more than the auditorium at the hall?

• Gregor
    Gregor

Thank god my balls weren't fully developed and hanging out behind...

Mincan, are you a baboon? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

We never stepped out of line and thats the truth. My dad is 6 foot 3 in. and his paws are the biggest I have ever seen wihout being a giant. The weird thing is he is the smallest of his family. I have an uncle who does have the hands of a giant. They are all huge. They come from an area in Holland where 6 ft 3 is puny. They are called cloggies over there. Our abuse was always mental, and it was all ingenious and weird enough to make you scream. The religion was simply an exentsion of his long arm of the law.

• Frank.L
    Frank.L
    My father always used his hands and also had a sort of code where he'd never hit us in the face, but a slap to the head was fair game

MidgetSasquatch..i can so relate to what u said....when my father was hitting us my mom would be screaming in the background "not in the face, not in the face.!!!"....

Mincan..yup!! I think there was an invisible sign that said "Mincan's" room in the back of the hall...lol......i still get goosbumps thinking of how loud u were screaming through the walls..omg...

But I find it amazing that after all the talk about putting on the "new personality" and "making your mind over" into that stupid cult like religion all the programming did Nothing to stop the hitting and abuse. Absolutely nothing. What all the abuse did was decrease the few social skills that I aquired in school..(thank God for bad association ..the only friends i ever made...lol..)

• Gregor
    Gregor

Funny thing is, even though I grew up with spankings, my wife and I almost never spanked any of our five kids and they were fiesty little rats. They have all turned out just fine as adults. Ironically, they are very strict with their own kids!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Beating children is counter-productive, though I must admit that the very regular thrashings (most of them deserved) that I took at school made me a sort of local hero which tended to attract blondes.

One teacher (hello Mr Hall) once wacked me three times with a desk lid that had become loose. He took a seven pace run-up to do it like Malcom McDowell in "IF", the fat sod, and virtually launched me into the nearest cumulus cloud formation. God bless British 60's education.

Strangely enough, after I left school we became the best of friends.

I have never had children, but I am quite sure that I could never summon up the energy to beat them. I think a much more apt punishment would be to buy them a meal at MacDonalds.

HS

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

LOL, Hillary! I have a dear friend who is also British, also not a big fan of the British "educational" paddle and he holds silimiliar views of McDonald's (which he also pronounces MacDonald's). He recently misquoted the Bible to me, "If thine enemy be hungry, feed him Big Mac's!"

Cog

• Room 215
    Room 215

``Mazze e panelle fanno figlie belle" or ``figli belli" in the case of little boys. This poetic little Southern Italian maxim, which translates roughly to ``spankings and loaves of bread make good little kids" is an-often quoted one by parents, and painfully reminiscent of Mussolini's fascist ditty: ``Libro e moschetto -- fascista perfetto" or ``Book and Musket (rifle) comprises a perfect fascist."

• eclipse
    eclipse

There is no italian in me and I got beaten with a belt alot.

Face, body, where-ever....

I don't really care that I got hit,

it was seeing my siblings get it, that was the worst.

I would try and save them....

This topic makes me want to throw up

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit