How many efforts to sway JWs have actually worked?

by sweetface2233 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

10 people might say the same thing but each phrase it differently. 10 individuals may read all 10 versions but only one resonates with them.

It's all good. There is no magic pill.

One thing I am quite sure of. Nobody has ever left the borg. because they got pepper sprayed while in field service.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

A letter written by one of us to a JW has to be more than carefully thought out. The first reaction of a JW, generally speaking, is that he or she is hearing from a traitor, from someone who is unhappy on the outside and is wanting to get others to share his or her misery.

The more we leave them alone, the more they are likely to wonder why we seem so satisfied with the course we've taken. They keep waiting for the day we will show them recognition and possibly beg for re-admittance into the organization. I remember very well that this was what was going on in the minds of many while I was still part of the whole mess.

Frank

• choosing life
    choosing life

I have always thought that just leaving them alone and letting them wonder why you left is good because it makes them think.

As far as family goes, I agree with OTWO that a well placed thought or piece of info over time can be most beneficial.

• changeling
    changeling

I don't think they are to be "swayed".

Either they get it or they don't.

changeling

• blondie
    blondie

I think is it several things that build up that meet up with a significant event where the individual makes a decision that a break must be made to maintain sanity. Family ties can slow this down, so when family members start acting in unloving ways on a consistent basis, they make it easy to leave. Finding new social contacts also moves the break along.

Blondie

• 5go
    5go
    I know the efforts put into Dateline (USA) and Fifth Estate (Canada) exposing the WTBS pedophile scandal caused many to stop and think. Some eventually even left.

I think the efforts of those news agencies aided some to leave the Catholic Faith, (which got way more attention news wise) and join the Witness Faith. I would actualy say they got as many as they lost from those scandals.

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

I am glad to say that I have gotten one person out of the organization. And that person was DEEP in it. I have also convinced my non-Witness family members, who didn't think of Witnesses as much of anything, that they are indeed a dangerous cult. It's hard to get Witnesses into a dialouge about the stuff, though. They are programmed to block it out.

• tribalgirl
    tribalgirl

I don't spend any time trying to talk someone out of a belief they hold. If my sister who is still in the org. asks me about why I left, we talk. It ends up with us both saying that we respect the others' right to their opinion. It never changes her position, nor mine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit