This really gets me sick

by Patriot 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Patriot
    Patriot

I was left an Awake mag. (Oct. 22, 2001) On my desk last night. If it got there accidentally or on purpose I don’t know. But going through the articles brought that sick feeling to my stomach again, you guys have probably seen this mag. already, but here’s why:

First of it has an elaborate article on suicide. Now we all know that this has been an increasing problem for those Witnesses who have found out the “truth” of many of the WTs’ dealings. After having served faithfully (like a puppet) for decades they realize that it was for nothing and see their only way out is to kill themselves. Unfortunately we know that’s not the solution. However it gets me sick to see how the WT promotes itself by writing thing like what is found on pag. 11 in the gray box:

“Having a relationship or connecting with Jehovah’s witnesses has helped many people overcome their suicidal thinking”. (Translation from Spanish)

Why not just reading the Bible or having faith in God. Why must it be through JW’s ?

On pag. 10 par. 2 it does say that there are many places that one can turn to for help, but then it says, “There are experts that realize another type of help, religion”

OK
    But on the next par. It tells us an “experience” of a guy named Marino who was disabled and wanted to kill himself. It goes on to say that he “FOUND” a WT mag. and followed its instructions regarding allowing JW’s to call on him. He did. Of course everything went happy-go-lucky from there on. I’ m gagging here.

What about on page22? It makes reference to JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association)
    Now this was the same magazine that when I wrote to the society about its issues regarding the WTs’ blood policy, I was invited to a Judicial Committee!!

Then on page 26 it shows pics. of the Kingdom hall of the Jw’s in El Salvador. It is very disgusting to know that the WTBTS has millions of dollars and can’t spare a few dollars to make these people a decent place to gather! Look at the pics. It’s ridiculous.

Meanwhile their execs. are out in their leased GM’s and flying to different parts of the world with their healthcare and Ins. paid for by these very people that are in need of a decent hall!

I don't believe you can get any lower.
    Mav.-

• AMarie
    AMarie

Patriot:

When I was at the laundromat, I also saw this exact same Awake magazine. At first, the article was really interesting, quoting facts about suicide, such as the rates, etc. etc., but then half way through the article it started talking about different people's experiences and how (basically) becoming a Jehovah's Witnesses cured them of all that ailed them. It turned from being educational to a total sales pitch. And like you said, it wasn't finding GOD or any religion that helped them, it was becoming a Jehovah's Witness.

I found it extremely ironic, considering that JWs (at least in my old Hall) have the highest rate of depression. What a laugh. Whenver I doubt the path I took (which is rare), I just pick up JW literature and am reminded why I left and will never go back.

• Tina
    Tina

Patriot ,
    i had that one,,,it turned my stomach so badly,I couldnt keep it in the house......
    yes the old WT prescription for depression etc. Take 2 Awakes and call me in the morning.......Tina

Jehovahs Witnesses,Proudly Serving Their Corporate Masters!

• Xena
    Xena

Ouch Patriot you got your Hate Mail delivered to your desk!

Funny when you have finally stepped back from them how easy it is to see the deception and double talking....shame more people still IN the JW org can't see it too!

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I've read the article, and while the statistics are always debatable, THAT portion of it was probably the most balanced article I read. One of my areas of emphasis on my job is suicide and suicide prevention, so it was at least interesting.

What happened for those people whose stories I'll accept at face value for the sake of arguement, is that they CONNECTED with SOMEONE and had a renewed sense of HOPE for whatever reason.

Most people who commit suicide don't want to die, rather they want hope. A sense of Loss and hopelessness are at the core of suicidal feelings. If you can offer hope and replace the sense of Loss with fulfillment, however hollow, you have a chance at intervention.

The sad thing is these people will probably cling to their new found religion rather than work to solve the problems that are at the heart of their sense of loss.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Patriot
    Patriot

Yeru:
    In your professional opinion, do you believe that an ex-suicidal person can get over learning the truth about the deceptions of the WT or of any religion for that matter.

In other words survive that episode twice? Whats the likelyhood?

• Patriot
    Patriot

Yeru:
    In your professional opinion, do you believe that an ex-suicidal person can get over learning the truth about the deceptions of the WT or of any religion for that matter.

In other words survive that episode twice? Whats the likelyhood?

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Patriot,

A lot of factors figure into that. Has the person developed or regained his/her problem solving deficit? Personal emotional stregth, the individual trauma of the enlightenment, support system available to the individual. Yes it can be survived, or it could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

I haven't seen hard statistics on this but I suspect that as a percentage the number of people in the Borg who commit suicide is the same and perhaps larger than those who exit.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Mulan
    Mulan

I am proud to say that I had that set of magazines on my desk for nearly a week, and never even opened them. A friend of mine brought them over for a friend (an ex dub) who wanted to see that particular issue. I finally mailed them this morning, without ever cracking the cover. Now, I am really glad I didn't. GAG!! And GAG again!!!

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)
    "Those who know, don't say, and those who say, don't know."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit