Jan 27, 1937 Golden Age PDF: "That Delusion Called 'Love'"

by cabasilas 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

What were Jehovah's Witnesses distributing door to door 70 years ago? Here's a PDF of the January 27, 1937 Golden Age magazine (the forerunner of Awake!) .

This one is real interesting. Look at the article entitled "That Delusion Called 'Love'" on pp. 268-272. The whole concept of romantic love is rejected. The article sums up on p. 272:
    "Surely, then, in the light of what we have hereinbefore noted, this so-called "love" should be shunned rather than sought. To avoid it, however, is not easy; as, like other snares of Satan, it is brought about very subtly. Frequent contact and association with those of the opposite sex is generally a matter of necessity with those who are engaged in a common service. For them to avoid the entanglements and servile bondage of "love" (desire for possession), it would be wise to avoid anything in the nature of personal confidences or intimacies with associates of the opposite sex, no matter how seemingly innocent those confidences or intimacies might be. "While, as the Scriptures plainly set forth, marriage is an institution of Jehovah God, the apostle Paul under inspiration of the spirit of God makes it evident that with the Devil and his organization rampant in the earth, God's consecrated people do well to refrain from marriage unless they find themselves continually tormented with desire for sexual intercourse, in which case they should marry. For those of the younger or older who have need to marry on this score, let them dispose of the matter in candor and honesty, so far as possible along the line of the original divine institution, shunning the blight, and delusions and illusions of "love" so called and "courtship", which bring reproach upon the holy name of Jehovah."

Included on pp. 270-271 are cartoons illustrating this contempt for romantic love and courtship. Penton reproduces a couple of these cartoons in Apocalypse Delayed. The PDF of this issue (3.13 MB) can be downloaded from this filesharing site. http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=7ff61f88f7db0265c4f4865b40c2c25d
  • watson
    watson

Those were some "uptight" dudes!!

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    with the Devil and his organization rampant in the earth, God's consecrated people do well to refrain from marriage unless they find themselves continually tormented with desire for sexual intercourse, in which case they should marry.

.....and thirty years later, Flip Wilson becomes famous for saying, "The Devil made me do it!"

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I guess my parents and grandparents were 'tormented with a desire for sexual intercourse,' which apparently runs in my family . (Passed from generation to generation in the usual way.)

I just can't imagine that my grandma was part of this, though.

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

Dissmissing love as if it was mere lust what a bunch of confused and blind fools

(no words)

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Cabasilas:

Excellent! Thank you cabasilas!

Cheers! Atlantis-

• VM44
    VM44

Thanks Cabasilas for making this available.

With regard to the article's topic -- Judge Rutherford married when he was 21, for at least the last 20 years of his life he lived (mostly) in Brooklyn, while his wife lived in California, and NOT at Beth Sarim!

There very well may be a connection between the condition of Rutherford's marriage and the official Watchtower disapproval shown towards marriage!

--VM44

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

good work cabasilas!

It just gets weirder and weirder doesn't it?

Someone else said they couldn't believe their grand parents bought in to this stuff. I wonder in amazement at this as well. I thought my great grand parents were kind of cool. I guess they were in some respects, but did they ever fall for some ridiculous bullshit.

the oracle

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Thank you for posting this. What truly twisted thinking...

Justitia

• writetoknow
    writetoknow

Yea they had to give up the idea when so many brothers in New York started having mental problems of this subject. In fact one brother as the story was told had to be taken to the mental institution over repressed sexual desires.

That main reason their thinking changed on the subject.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit