Favorite ELO Songs...post it here

by REBORNAGAIN 25 Replies latest social entertainment

• ?me?
    ?me?

interesting tidbit, Lou Clarke, one of the members of ELO is/ was studying and attending meetings for quite a while (in the 90's). not sure what he is up to , he had a place in london, and here in the US where he split his time. lots of gold records in his house...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Blue Sky.

• RollerDaughter
    RollerDaughter

I love ELO, I've pretty much always been a fan since my dad taught me some of their songs when i was really little

i remember always singing Rain is Falling (Time, 1981) when i was really little, and then i remember being old enuogh to be like "that's ELO?! omg they rule!" lol

it would have to be one of the following:

Mr. Blue Sky, Hold on Tight, or ANY of them from Time <3

Angie, of the "Rock obsessed" sheep class

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

Concerto for a Rainy Day...esp big wheels turning

• Simon
    Simon

Mr Blue Sky ... it's very beatlish (in fact, it's probably more beatlish than any they wrote!)

• Gopher
    Gopher

Simon -- you're right about the Beatles connection. About 30 years ago, John Lennon was asked (I think by Rolling Stone magazine) what group was most like the Beatles then. He said if you want to hear "I Am The Walrus", just listen to Electric Light Orchestra's music.

Jeff Lynne was/is an admirer of Beatles music, and incorporated some of their style into his composition.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Hi guys

too many to mention but 2 spring to mind: Turn to Stone and Here is the News.

What about "Secret Messages" which was rumoured to have evil messages recorded backwards???

• Gopher
    Gopher
    What about "Secret Messages" which was rumoured to have evil messages recorded backwards???

That was Jeff Lynne's parody about the "Satanic message" backward-masking hysteria of the 1980's, a hysteria which was whipped up by Christian watchdog groups and was totally unfounded.

ELO had previously been the target of this nonsense.

Here's what Wikipedia said: Electric Light Orchestra was accused of hiding a backward Satanic message in their 1974 album Eldorado. The title track, "Eldorado", was said to contain the message "He is the nasty one / Christ, you're infernal / It is said we're dead men / Everyone who has the mark will live." ELO singer and songwriter Jeff Lynne responded by calling this accusation (and the related charge of being "devil-worshippers") "skcollob", and stating that the message "is absolutely manufactured by whoever said, 'That's what it said.' It doesn't say anything of the sort."

In response for their song Fire on High, they backward masked "The music is reversable but time isn't. Turn back. Turn back." How evil !!

On the Secret Messages album you'll find these messages (if played backwards): "Welcome to the big show", "Thank you for listening", "Look out there's danger ahead", "Hup two three four", "Time After Time", and "You're playing me backwards".

You can't play CD's backward, so the whole issue is moot now.

• done4good
    done4good

This one is too tough. They are all really good. Big fan of Jeff Lynne's work..

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

10538 Overture
    Showdown
    Strange Magic

Those are my top choices :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit