October is Fair Trade Month! Not terribly exciting you say? I'll be brief

by smellsgood 8 Replies latest jw friends

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

http://www.youtube.com/v/p3QfPmFP-r0

First there's that. Hyperlink don't work for me.

then this: www.Oxfam.com

Um, pitching. I know you people love being preached at, so fire up the choir, and can I get an Amen to....

Fair Trade: GOOD!
    Fair Trade Coffee: GOOD!

Nestle: Pays shit to farmers, BAD!
    Nestle sells Folgers: Oh!

Folgers coffee taste IMO: ick!
    Folgers coffee effects of the stomach IME: BAD! (low quality beans, poor roasting...)

Starbucks: Carries Fair Trade, not alot though, gave Ethiopia rights to its coffee thanks to pressure! hurrah!

Requesting Fair Trade at supermarkets if they don't carry it: Why not??

Enjoying quality, organically grown, well roasted, and fairly compensated coffee: Good to the last drop 'TM'

These are mostly my opinions based on what I *comprehend* yours may differ (I pity the fool!) however that does count against you.

I try and walk the walk, but sometimes, don't got the scratch for the meager extra expense, I ADMIT IT!! I go to Starbucks!!!!

Hope this wasn't too long, my obnoxiously compundering my views and promoting this cause (remember October is official Fair Trade Month, enjoy a bag of delicious, non-impoverishing coffee today!) are over. My comprehension is by no means comprehensive.

Can I get an Amen for that?

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

http://www.youtube.com/v/p3QfPmFP-r0

www.oxfam.com

There you go, smellsgood, plus another link for UK folks:

http://www.traidcraft.co.uk/

I try to buy fair trade when I can afford - coffee and tea always and chocolate most of the time (the exception is when I get a craving and have none in the house so I have to use the local corner-shop - but then I'm supporting small local family business which I believe is important too

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I buy fair trade when available and when, as you said, I have the $$$. Fortunately we have Trader Joe's which carries fair trade coffee at a reasonable price. I'd rather have one good cup of coffee a day than a whole pot of some low quality crap. As for Starbucks, I remember once when I read in the LA Times business section that Starbucks had bought thousands of bags of robusta beans, thinking they were getting arabica. If you can't tell the difference between robusta (tastes like Sanka) and arabica, you shouldn't be in the coffee business. Actually they sell more dairy products than coffee, anyway.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

This is where I buy my coffee. I buy the beans green and roast them myself.

W

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

Sad Emo, thank you! Yeah, I do get a bit focused on coffee, because I drink so much of it.

Hortensia:

"I buy fair trade when available and when, as you said, I have the $$$. Fortunately we have Trader Joe's which carries fair trade coffee at a reasonable price."

ahh! TJ's! I love that store, have you had any banana, flattened lately? Couldn't agree more, it's like wine, you buy a nice Shiraz from Australia at a higher, but very affordable price and have a glass. Or you buy a box of Franzia and guzzle it like I did in High school. The blackout is amazing!

" Actually they sell more dairy products than coffee, anyway."

Oh, zing! So true, except to me who drinks espresso straight. I'm working at a coffee shop (actually really should be getting my stuff on) and the people, they drink one shot of espresso, and 2 cups of milk!

Finally Free, this "roast them myself" very intriguing...how did you aquire a roaster?

• rebel8
    rebel8

http://www.organiccoffeecompany.com//page.asp?id=14181 This is fair trade, and cheaper than Starbucks if you buy enough ($30) to qualify for free shipping. And, I might add, better tasting.

What an ugly industry. http://www.house.gov/georgemiller/article111902.html

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I bought my roaster at Birds & Beans. It cost around $99.95 and will roast enough beans for about 10 cups of coffee in a single roast. A single roast takes about 8 minutes plus a 2 minute cooling period. I like a dark roast and drink my coffee black, so I'll roast about 10 minutes. A fan blows air into the roasting chamber to keep the beans flying around. It helps produce an even roast as well as blowing chaff into a collection chamber above.

A workmate of mine roasts at home too using a cast iron frying pan, but he said it gets pretty smokey in there when he does it.

W

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

When I went to our big box grocer, i couldn't believe just how much cottage cheeze costs. I am boycotting this and other dairy products in Canada. Marketing boards are to blame. How much, might you ask. $4.98 for a 500 ml tub. No thanks.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I used to own a coffee bar. I got pretty picky about my coffee. I like a cup of coffee with a little cream, nothing else. But I remember that most people bought frappacino kinds of things, lots of dairy product and ice, and one shot of espresso. More like dessert than coffee, and very high in calories. My favorite joke is to order a "double why bother" which is an iced latte with decaf and non-fat milk. People always do a double take when I ask for that, but they always get the joke too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit