My son's brainwashing ?

by Tigerman 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

This topic is the kind that one could write and read about forever. However, I don't think I'll be able to last that long.

My son is 38 years old. He is intelligent and , I believe, very sensitive. We have been separated since his mother and I divorced in "75. I do see him about once or twice every 2nd year or so. Somehow I always knew that his Mother was going to make him into the quintetsence of a Jehovah's Witness. ( at least that is how I view him ) He seems to have become a man that represents everything that is perfect . . .almost too perfect.He has recently moved into a half-million dollar home and has two vehicles ( one an SUV ). Has his own business, wife and two kids.

And its all this STUFF that I don't understand ! I always thought a Christian was to live simply. Please don't get me wrong . . I'm very happy for him, it's just that I don't understand it. Are JW's supposed to live like this? Is it ok with their bosses? Do their bosses live like this?

Another thing, his love/ fondness for me has begun to show signs of condescension. This has completely overwhelmed me. He didn't used to be that way. I wrote and self-published a book titled " In The Truth" and gave one to my JW daughter and one to my son. ( critical of JW's )My son scanned the book and then e-mailed me his thoughts on it, without reading it. I feel that whatever has happened to my son has come from a higher source that just the local Hall ( he has lived in Detroit and Chicago before moving to Ohio where he now maintains his office, however he travels to Chicago regularly ) I can't help but feel that someone or something is having such an extraordinary effect on him that he is blind to everything outside JWs.( except making money ). These are more than just " feelings" for he has said some things that prove him to be this way.

Is this the way JW's become as they become older, more settled,more affluent?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Maybe more JW's are or will reach out for a wealthier style of living in this "old system", perhaps sensing that the end isn't near. It isn't urgent like it was when the JW's taught that people living in the '1914 generation' would also live to see Armageddon. Now that's been phased out. The WTS gives lip service to urgency, but only their longer-term members seem to believe it.

The Bible still says "it's harder for a rich man to enter the Kingdom than for a camel to go through a needle's eye". I don't know if the JW's emphasize that scripture much these days, but I heard it a lot from them when I was younger.

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

Tigerman,

Many JWs do well financially. This is the paradox: the ones that do well financial are "respected" more than those that sacrifice all for the Org. The Org works very hard to promote jobs that mean low pay, brain dead work, and a situation to pass out thier literature. Yet, the ones that do this are only held in high regard within the officail framework of the Society. In the perephial though, it is the ones that make the money that have the muscle amoung the brothers.

Also, parents that make money have kids that spend time in service. They get the best of both worlds: the good pay is justified in the fact that literature is being passed out....weird.

My take is this, and, forgive my honesty: your son may just be a bit of an "ass." That is possible, however, it is not a favorable thought. If he is, the JWs just magnify this aspect, if it is one...

Well, that is my take...I am really too tired to post, however, your thoughts hit a nerve: I have meditated on this a great deal.

JWs that get rich get respect in this system, a hellava lot of comfort, a great time at the District Conventions: good food, entertainment, etc, and they get a chunk of Rutherford's Mythical Paradise.

Can't get much better than that can it?

Hang tough and good luck with your son,

V

• changeling
    changeling

While yes, his JW upbringing has influenced him, what you are seeing is his personality shinning through.

I'm not passing judgement on his personality, just saying that it is what it is.

I believe personality is inborn, and how we react to our environment is determined in a great way by our personality.

If he's happy, be happy for him.

changeling

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Thanks to all for your input.

My x-wife raised the kids in an enviornment where she believed " the end" was right around the corner. I can't even imagine what it must have been like for my kids ( and all others around the world ) to think that each day on earth may be their last.That has got to be the worst kind of abuse and I know many of you here have gone through that terrible nightmare. My son is a very nice guy and I'm not saying that 'cause I'm his Dad.( at least I don't think I am ) Although, Vernon, he could very well have a side to him of which I'm not aware . . and yes, like I said, he has been somewhat standoffish with me.

I believe my kids are 100% into the JW mindset. I have always been left out of their lives and I know that is exactly how the ruling bosses want it. It eats at me every day and has for the last 30 years. Don't get me wrong, I moved on a long, long time ago but you and I know that it's never "over". And now come my grandchildren; thoroughly incapsulated with JW dogma.

However, I will never give up. Can you hear me , you Brooklyn Bastards?

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Isn't being a smart JW an oxymoron. I mean if they are truly a believer, then why build up wealth if the end is near. Because they know it's a bunch of b.s. The poor saps that are genuinely poor are the ones that deserve this new world. The rich are hipocrytes, the poor suffer and they don't even realize it. Being comfortable isn't a crime, but being broke is discouraging.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit