JW Illustrations Ripped off from Secular Sources

by neverendingjourney 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

First, let me apologize for my extended absence. I was out of the country and took a vacation a while back. When I came back, I realized that I had inadvertently broken my JWD addiction. I lead a very busy life--as most of us do--and realized that JWD was simply taking up way too much of my time. I did not do a farewell post since I still check this site on a daily basis and plan to participate in the discussion from time to time, just not as often as I once did. Now I'll get on to the point of this topic.

Some seven or eight years ago, an elder shared an illustration with me. He told me he had heard it from a circuit overseer a few years before, and that it had made a profound impact on him. In essence, the illustration was that some children are like rocks in a river. They are surrounded by water, but if you crack them open, they are completely dry on the inside. In like manner, some children (the rocks) are surrounded by water (the "truth") and even though they have been in that condition their entire lives, their insides (their figurative hearts) are dry (the "truth" never takes hold in their heart). This was, and still is, a very stoic, somber man, but when he shared the illustration with me, I could almost see the hair on the back of his neck stand up. It clearly still had an impact on him after all those year.

Much to my surprise, I watched the Godfather III on DVD for the first time years after its release, long after I had started to fall away from JWism, and I realized that the "moving" illustration was ripped off from that movie almost word for word. This particular scene involves Michael Corleone confessing his sins to Cardinal Lamberto (who in the movie later become Pope John Paul I). Lamberto tells Corleone the same illustration, but he uses the word "Christianity" instead of "the truth" to represent the water in which these rocks sit.

Obviously, I was more than a little amused, if not downright disturbed, especially since the Godfather movies are rated R and prohibited viewing for any JW in good standing. This poor brother must have revered this circuit overseer for his supposed wisdom not knowing that the true genius behind the illustration was probably either Mario Puzo or Francis Ford Coppola. I'm sure the circuit overseer must have gotten an equally favorable reaction from every congregation he visited.

Have any of you similarly heard illustrations used in JW talks or printed materials that were ripped off from secular sources?

• Gopher
    Gopher

That's part of the spiritual paradise! You see, the strong spiritual leaders can go into the world and view that hard-core "worldly" stuff, extract gems of wisdom to bring back to the minions, and remain spiritually pure! Whereas the minions (ordinary folk like us) could NEVER go see those R-rated movies, it would affect our spirituality !

Aren't we glad Jehovah's organization provides loving food in due season, even if it has to obtain some of that food from the deeper parts of Satan's system??

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I found the exact quote from the movie:

CARDINAL LAMBERTO

Look at this stone. It has been lying in the water for a very long time, but the water has not penetrated it.

[breaks the stone]

CARDINAL LAMBERTO

Look. Perfectly dry. The same thing has happened to men in Europe. For centuries they have been surrounded by Christianity, but Christ has not penetrated. Christ doesn't breathe within them.

• erandir
    erandir

That CO was probably using the illustration to kill two birds with one stone. (1) He gets to use a cool illustration to impress people and make them remember it. (2) He can find out who watches R-rated movies if anyone tells him from where the illustration came.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

There was an illustration with props at a circuit assembly probably in the early 90's. The speaker (most likely the CO) had two containers on stage. In one container was 4 or 5 balls. In the other was sand. The balls represented our theocratic obligations (meeting attendance, field service, personal study, etc) and the sand represented everything else we have to do in our lives. When he tried to fit the balls into the container of sand, of course, only one would fit and the others rolled off onto the table. However, when he set the balls into the container first and then carefully added the sand (and jiggled it down a little) everything - including the last grain of sand - fit perfectly.

Good illustration and I was deeply encouraged.

I felt proud to be part of such a practical organization and so impressed with the illustration.

Ha!

2 years ago I saw the EXACT SAME illustration used in a time management training seminar. The difference was that in the training seminar, the facilitator credited Stephen Covey.

There was another illustration of 'Stepping Stones or Stumbling Stones' that I've heard secularly as well as a transcript from a talk given by a prominent bethelite. But I can't remember the details of where I heard it later on.

I'm certain there are lots and lots of examples. Since jw's are discouraged from spending 'useless' time reading non-witness material, most will not know that the concepts are plagerized. Some are likely loopy enough to believe that unscrupulous worldly people have pirated from the org.

-Aude.

• Tristram
    Tristram

I think "Godfather III" is an unjustly underrated film. If it had been released a couple years after "2" it would have been considered a classic. But then again we have to factor Sofia Coppola's performance into it. Egads, that was bad, and just a fill-in because Winona Rider dropped out. Still, a pretty decent movie. Sorry to go a little off topic there....

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

Brother and sisters - dont be fooled - this is the just the world using our theocratic intelligence for their own evil purposes - surely you can see that such illustrative illustrations and experiential experiences cannot have had their source in the world but must come from Jehovah... This is just satan at work. Dont be misled.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

OMG! You watched the Godfather III?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Aude Sapere said:

There was an illustration with props at a circuit assembly probably in the early 90's. The speaker (most likely the CO) had two containers on stage. In one container was 4 or 5 balls. In the other was sand. The balls represented our theocratic obligations (meeting attendance, field service, personal study, etc) and the sand represented everything else we have to do in our lives. When he tried to fit the balls into the container of sand, of course, only one would fit and the others rolled off onto the table. However, when he set the balls into the container first and then carefully added the sand (and jiggled it down a little) everything - including the last grain of sand - fit perfectly.

Good illustration and I was deeply encouraged.

I felt proud to be part of such a practical organization and so impressed with the illustration.

Ha!

2 years ago I saw the EXACT SAME illustration used in a time management training seminar. The difference was that in the training seminar, the facilitator credited Stephen Covey.

Our circuit overseer came around to each congregation and gave this SAME illustration, only using beans in place of sand.

At one hall, when the golf balls wouldn't fit because the beans were poured in first -- the C.O. asked "what's the problem here brothers?" -- One wise guy shot up his hand and said, "brother, you're too full of beans!"

• poppers
    poppers
    At one hall, when the golf balls wouldn't fit because the beans were poured in first -- the C.O. asked "what's the problem here brothers?" -- One wise guy shot up his hand and said, "brother, you're too full of beans!"

That was probably the most truthful thing said that whole day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit