What was your book study like?

by reneeisorym 12 Replies latest jw friends

• esw1966
    esw1966

I always wanted the book study to be more than it was. I wanted friends. I wanted closeness. I wanted it to be RELATIVE and meaningful.

I used to HATE hearing a lame question with an obvious answer that you would have to wait FOREVER to have someone raise their hand to say Jesus or Jehovah or yes or no.

It was just read the paragraph, ask the question, read the answer, and then maybe look up a Scripture.

The point in going to the meeting was answer so I'd look spiritually strong; have the kids answer so they would grow up to be good jdubs; and try to make good connections with the upper ups so as to be viewed as a pillar in the hall.

It was all works! Shallow at that and lame... It had such little depth. It never reached the heart.

I used to dread going to meetings toward the last year. I just LOVE going to my churches nowadays! They just do so much more for me than any jdub meeting ever did or could. I think it is because it lacked soul and heart and God! It was always a treadmill and never nurturing and loving.

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Wow. Sounds like we all went to the same BS at some point.

When I was a teenager onward, I used to observe that no matter what the topic, we were all experts, we all had some unique experience that summed it all up. I reduced my commenting when I realized that I, too, sounded like a know-it-all.

The BS brought home to me how it was all so phony. Even later when I was an RP I had these constant thoughts that all the many words, they were meaningless. Hey! I was right.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It was very boring. I have seen people reading that took forever reading a paragraph (when it was my turn, I would do all I could to make the meeting run short). Yes, we had the folding chairs. And we had a home without air conditioning, and it would get very hot at times (at least they had fans). All told, I do not miss it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit