When Meetings Went Overtime, What Did You Do?

by minimus 64 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I used to start looking at the clock behind me, look at my watch, look at the speaker or person handling the part and give obvious facial expressions expressing my dissatisfaction. It was a pet peeve of mine! A few times when I had the last part in a Service Meeting, I'd say, rather sternly,"This originally was a 15 minute part but because we are running out of time, we will dispense with (whatever)."

We had certain elders (especially the PO) who would go on and on like nothing was wrong.

The last year that I attended, I'd get up out of my seat and walk to my car and simply drive off.

How did YOU handle these things?

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Hi

I would put away all the books and bibles for the family and get the songbooks out and make it obvious I had totally shut off listening.

Thomas Covenant

• Gopher
    Gopher

Min, I did what you did -- glanced at my watch, at the speaker, and back at my watch. I would usually start this at the "3 minute over" point.

It seemed arrogant for someone to feel so important that they had to chew up the time of 60 or 120 people with whatever they were going on about.

• free2think
    free2think

I did that too, put everything away and would stat yawning, and staring at the speaker, lol.

• minimus
    minimus

I swear, some of these guys just LOVe the sound of their own voice! They think they're better than everyone else?? They are RUDE!

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

I was quite annoyed and in one Cong. Oak Harbor, Wa, it happened waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to often. My Ex, I know at the time was fuming inside.

What bothered me the most about it, were the ones waiting outside to pick up their loved ones, a potential future Bro. or Sis. maybe??? Maybe it was a good thing, it told them how inconsiderate JW's are.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Last time I attended meetings I was about 14ish, so all I can remember was checking out girls or just fall asleep

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Can you say "fidget". Look at my watch, check the clock at the back of the KH just to make sure it wasn't slow or anything, cross and uncross my legs, pack up my books, get out the songbook. Sigh, loudly.

BB

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

This often happened in a bookstudy I was "priviledged" to attend. The bookstudy was supposed to go from 7:30 - 8:45, but Brother Tardy invariably showed up at 7:32 and would leisurely say hello to everyone and pass out the books to his kids. He'd finally get started at about 7:35. He'd spend about a half hour on the first paragraph, then half-heartedly pick up the pace as the time escaped him.

Since I was often the assigned reader, once the meeting began running overtime, I would read as fast as I could and refuse to offer any comments. If he asked me to say the closing prayer, I would say the quickest one I could.

• minimus
    minimus

The PO was also a Bookstudy Conductor too. He used to read an ENTIRE chapter in a cited publication and have everyone read 1 verse at a time! He typically went overtime when other groups had a shorter lesson and got out 10 minutes earlier.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit