Something amazing came across my mind

by Blackboo 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

The Watchtower has already had this thought at least once. It was mentioned in one of their 192 page books. I can't remember it's name now, but it was gold colored, and studied at the book study many years ago. It said something along the lines that it was possible mankind would eventually inhabit other planets.

• erynw
    erynw

Haven't found it in a book but I did find this in the QFR for 3-1-54. They seem to have changed their minds between 1954 and 1965 though.

On page 360 of the book “New Heavens and a New Earth” it states concerning those gaining new-world life on earth: “God will not need to transport them to other planets for any reason or to people heaven with them. . . . He will forever retain them on earth as expert gardeners to maintain it as a glorious paradise to His praise.” Is it not presumptuous to limit Jehovah’s human creatures to earth? Is it not a speculative limitation, in view of the fact that 1 Corinthians 2:9 states that man cannot conceive the things Jehovah has in store for the righteous? Could not Jesus’ words at John 14:2 about going to prepare a place for his followers include the preparation of other planets for habitation? Of course, Jehovah does not need human creatures to populate the other planets, as he does not need us for anything; but he could use us for such a purpose. Finally, does not Isaiah 9:7 about there being no end to the increase of his government show an unending expansion of its realm?—E. M., United States.

Fleshly man’s sphere of activity seems to be limited to the earth by Jehovah’s expressed purpose. Such limitation is shown by Genesis 1:28, where a mandate was given to fill the earth, not the universe. Isaiah 45:18 states that Jehovah made the earth to be inhabited, and he will have that purpose accomplished; but he does not make such a statement concerning the other planets. Nor will he people heaven with earthly men, since that environment is unsuited for human existence and flesh-and-blood creatures cannot reside there. (1 Cor. 15:50) Rather than its being presumptuous or speculative to view man as remaining within the boundaries assigned by Jehovah’s expressed purpose, it seems that the presumption and speculation enters when human creatures arrogate to themselves a greater role in universal affairs than has been assigned to them. We should not alter his purpose for us to fill the earth to one of filling the solar system.

To say that man will be retained on earth as gardeners to maintain it as an earthly paradise is not establishing a speculative limitation to what Jehovah has in store for us, since that is the work assigned to man by Jehovah, as stated at Genesis 2:15. But to say that 1 Corinthians 2:9 allows room for believing that men from earth will be transported to other planets to populate them is not only speculative but erroneous application of the text. Paul was there showing that he did not preach the wisdom of this system of things, but God’s hidden wisdom of the sacred secret concerning Christ the King and spiritual Israel in a heavenly kingdom. This wisdom was not understood by the rulers of the world, and as applying to such blinded rulers Paul in verse 9 quotes Isaiah 64:4, but he goes on to show that Christians having Jehovah’s spirit are not blind to what Jehovah has prepared for them but do perceive the Kingdom blessing in store for the body-members of Christ. The text is not discussing the blessings in store for dwellers on a paradise earth, and should not be erroneously applied to them. First Corinthians 2:6-10 (NW) makes all this clear:

“Now we speak wisdom among those who are adults, but not the wisdom of this system of things nor that of the rulers of this system of things who are to come to nothing. But we speak God’s wisdom in a sacred secret, the hidden wisdom, which God foreordained before the systems of things for our glory. This wisdom not one of the rulers of this system of things came to know, for if they had known it they would not have impaled the glorious Lord. But just as it is written: ‘Eye has not seen and ear has not heard, neither have there been conceived in the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love him.’ For it is to us God has revealed them through his spirit, for the spirit searches into all things, even the deep things of God.”

At least as far as the planets of our solar system are concerned, there are apparently none capable of supporting human life, aside from the earth. The other planets are not equipped with the air and water and food sources necessary to sustain human life, and to say that Jehovah will make them fit for human habitation in the future is sheer speculation. And it is twisting Scripture to say that Jesus went away to prepare these planets for habitation, using as proof his words at John 14:2. Jesus was speaking to his disciples who would be spirit-begotten and reign with him in heavenly glory. He was going to prepare a place for them, and there he and these body-members of his would dwell together forever as spirit creatures. To twist this to mean another planet with fleshly creatures is gross error. Jesus was not saying he was going to prepare a planet for him and his body-members to live on as fleshly men, at John 14:1-3 (NW): “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Exercise faith in God, exercise faith also in me. In the house of my Father there are many abodes. Otherwise, I would have told you, because I am going my way to prepare a place for you. Also, if I go my way and prepare a place for you, I am coming again and will receive you home to myself, that where I am you also may be.” How can we with logic take words Jesus spoke concerning things of the spirit and arbitrarily apply them to fleshly matters? Just because he went to prepare a place for the church class certainly does not argue that he also went to make other planetary abodes for men of earth.

The publishers of “New Heavens and a New Earth” are well aware that some have speculated about creatures from earth as being taken to other planets to populate them, and the way some of these speculators talk it exalts their importance and makes it sound as though Jehovah needs men of the earth to complete his work of creation relative to other planets, and it is with such presumptuousness in view that the book said Jehovah does not need them. The expression about not needing them is designedly used to refute these unvoiced assumptions of God’s need of human couples on the part of those voicing such private interpretations. To preach that Jehovah’s purpose is to populate the other planets with couples from earth does make such couples necessary for his purpose. If it were his purpose to do it in that way, then he would be in need of such couples; otherwise he would have to do it in a way other than what he had purposed. If he did not use them his purpose to do it in that way would fail. So for these reasons the book had grounds for brushing aside this assumed need of Jehovah for human couples.

No unending expansion of the government’s realm is indicated by Isaiah 9:7, which states (AS): “Of the increase of his government and of peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to establish it, and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of Jehovah of hosts will perform this.” This is no argument for an endless process of peopling other planets throughout space. This refers to the promise given to David concerning his kingship, and its application is to the earth. Never was David promised that his kingdom would expand beyond the earth into the universe. What Isaiah 9:7 means is that his realm will not end short of embracing the entire earth. There will be no end to its extent on the earth; that is, there will be no boundaries on earth that will limit its earthly domain. It shall cover the entire globe, regardless of where one may travel upon the surface of the earth. No boundaries will mark the end of its earthly domain, and Isaiah is foretelling this, indicating that it will spread and increase until it reaches without end around the entire earthly sphere. In this paradisaic earth there will be no end of peace, either.

Whether there are other planets like the earth in other parts of the universe or not, and, if so, whether any of them are inhabited by some kind of life or not, or whether any of them ever will be so inhabited in the future or not, we cannot say because the Bible does not say. To concern ourselves with such questions is idle speculation, and we could never arrive at any definite answer. We can say, however, that there are no Scriptural grounds for contending that any future populating of other planets will be done by transporting couples from earth.The earth and the people on it are not that important.If Jehovah wanted flesh-and-blood creatures on other planets he could easily make them from the dust of those planets, and not need to miraculously transport earthly couples through light-years of space. It is well for us not to exalt ourselves to such a spectacular role in universal affairs, but concentrate on the earthly duties given us by our Creator. Remember what Jesus said: “Everyone that exalts himself will be humiliated, but he that humbles himself will be exalted.”—Luke 18:14; 14:7-11, NW.

• erynw
    erynw

Found this too from WT 11-15-1965 It quotes from the Things in which it is impossible for god to lie book.

In view of what is stated in the new book “Things in Which It Is Impossible for God to Lie,” is it to be understood that there definitely are living creatures on other planets?—R.B., U.S.A.

No, that is not what the book says. Paragraph 24, on pages 384 and 385 of that publication, reads: “To all eternity our earth will bear a distinction such as no other planet throughout endless space will enjoy. To all eternity, throughout all creation, it will be a glorious showpiece to Jehovah’s praise. Not that it will be the only planet that will ever be inhabited, but that it will be the only planet to which the Creator of all good things sent his only-begotten Son to become a man and die sacrificially to recover the planet’s inhabitants from sin and its penalty death. It will be the only planet on which Jehovah, by means of his Son Jesus Christ, will have fought the ‘war of the great day of God the Almighty’ to show his power over all his enemies in heaven and on earth and to vindicate himself as the Universal Sovereign.—Jeremiah 50:25; Psalm 140:7; Acts 4:24.”

The point being emphasized is this: Never again will it be necessary for God’s Son to die sacrificially to recover living creatures from sin and death. Never again will it be necessary for Jehovah God to vindicate himself as Universal Sovereign. These things will have been accomplished once and for all time at the earth. Even if the Creator should at some future time populate other planets—which is something that we do not know—there still would be no need for repetition of Jesus’ sacrifice and the vindication of Jehovah’s sovereignty. The issues involved will already have been settled forever.—Heb. 9:28; 10:12.

There has been much speculation by worldly scientists and others as to whether there is life on other planets at the present time. Little is known for sure. The Bible is definite in showing that there are vast numbers of spirit creatures in existence, but it does not reveal whether there are physical creatures on other planets.—Rev. 5:11; Matt. 26:53.

Christians, though, have no need to be disturbed over the speculations about present or future life on other planets. Man was placed on the earth, and we are told in the Bible that righteous men will continue to live here throughout eternity. (Ps. 37:29; 115:16; Eccl. 1:4) We can rest assured of that fact, no matter what God may reveal in the future about life on other planets.—See The Photo-Drama of Creation, page 96, paragraph 3, as published in 1914.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    The Watchtower has already had this thought at least once. It was mentioned in one of their 192 page books. I can't remember it's name now, but it was gold colored, and studied at the book study many years ago. It said something along the lines that it was possible mankind would eventually inhabit other planets.

Awakened07 -- I distinctly remember that point, from a book in the 1980's. I showed the point to my book study conductor (he was also presiding overseer) and he denied that it meant that exactly, and that he believed human procreation would stop when earth was filled. He wasn't really the kind who embraced new ideas!

The book title might have been either "Worldwide Security Under The Prince of Peace" or "True Peace and Security -- How Can you Find It?" Both of those books came out in 1986, the U.N. International Year of Peace. (Not that the Society was trying to get people to think that the time for the declaration of 'peace and security' was near. They'd NEVER raise expectations like that !!)

• erynw
    erynw

OK, found this in the Worldwide Security Book, Chapter 22, page 184, paragraph 10

10 To all eternity our earth will bear a distinction that no other planet throughout endless space will enjoy, though the earth may not be the only planet that will ever be inhabited. Uniquely, it will be where Jehovah has indisputably vindicated his universal sovereignty, establishing an eternal and universal legal precedent. It will be the only planet on which Jehovah of armies will have fought "the war of the great day of God the Almighty." It will be the only planet to which God sent his dearest Son to become a man and die in order to recover the planet’s inhabitants from sin and death. It will be the only planet from which Jehovah will have taken 144,000 of its inhabitants to be "heirs indeed of God, but joint heirs with Christ."—Romans 8:17.
  • Watkins
    Watkins

Sorry this is off-topic, but I'm compelled to ask ---

DANG! JC, you sure must have a LOT of time lately to write SO many words! Is this, like, your JOB? I think I'm going blind your posts are so loooong!

1/2 j/k

watkins

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Blackboo:

but has anyone ever thought about this stunning *thought*

Yes, it's something I came up with when I was about nine to reconcile the problem of an infinitely growing population with eternal life, and it also seemed to nicely explain the existence of so many other stars. Of course, that was looking at the world through a JW prism (as you still seem to be doing).

We have billions upon Billions and Billions of planets.

That's not at all certain. We certainly have billions of stars, and we have detected planets orbiting some of the closer ones, but we can't say for certain that a high proportion of stars have planets, although it does seem likely.

What are the purpose of all those planets u naturally think?

A very natural thought, but a mistake. Planets around other stars most likely formed in the same way as the planets in our solar system. There is no purpose to them, they are just an outcome of the particular laws of physics in our universe.

If we are giving eternal life on earth and those living reproduce and have children..and those kids have kids and yea you get the picture...how do you EXPLAIN the SIZE of people who will filled this earth UP too the point that there is no room? I believe i have an answer and this just only makes perfect sense...Move them too OTHER PLANET EARTH'S!!!!!

Absolutely, if you first accept the JW premise that humans are to be given eternal life on earth.

The bible says we are giving a NEW BODY after death.

Where does it say that?

Our new body is gonna possess super-natural power!

What makes you think that?

Its hard to think how it would be to not be alive..but its not that difficult..because the answer is u will not experience anything or know nothing.

Exactly. All the religions and afterlifes and fountains of youth that have ever been imagined are a result of the fact that we have trouble imagining a universe without us in it. In reality, the universe got on fine for billions of years without me. It will not miss me when I am gone.

Scientist have evidence that there are some planets out there that would support life.

No they don't.

This is true and i believe it because as i explained how do you fit everyone that is born.

That's not a good reason to believe, simply because it fits with your preferred theology.

One earth is not gonna support all the life that is gonna be born.

It's been doing OK for the last 4 billion years.

As far as our body being super-natural..the thought of having such power is crazy.

Yup.

Remember that the angels came down from heaven and gave themselves a human form.

No, that's just made up.

What are you trying to say? This belief does not have nothing to do with any religion. Its only LOGIC. Thats what i want people to understand. Logic not religion.

Nonsense. It has nothing to do with logic and everything to do with religion. You're not just speculating on the possibility of humans one day travelling to other planets. You're assuming that there is a god whose purpose is for humans to live forever in physical but modified bodies and your are extrapolating that it is that god's purpose for humans to populate these other planets. That's religion.

Im not talking about a few century's...im talking ETERNITY! Im not talking about this present earth...im talking way into the future when God takes over this earth.

God taking over the earth - that's definitely religion, mostly the JW one in fact.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

It is logical that other planets in the galaxy will be populated with humans. Why create so many?

I don't think god created the billions of galaxies just to give us a beautiful starry night because what about the stars we cannot see?

Look at a model of our solar system - it is similar to other solar systems with great variety. The planets orbit the sun, the moons orbit their respective planets. The sun also has an orbit.

This similarity's to our solar system suggest that the likelihood of our planet being the only one to support life (I did not say harbor life) may not be unique.

The current problem is the great distance involved concerning interstellar travel.

The Voyager probes launched in the early 70s will take thousands of years to reach the nearest star system.

JCanon - what do angels need in our material realm that they cannot find in heaven? I have read no biblical account that they are interested in exploring the universe - they probably have "seen it all" as they witnessed the act of creation.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

JCanon,

I don't think it will take billions of years to learn all there is to know about earth. Man has been looking at the stars wondering what's out there for millenia.

The desire to satisfy our curiosity about what lies beyond will cause us to leave our home world sooner than you think.

Space tourism is the in thing right now, once Virgin Galactic and Scaled Composites get there act together, someone will be planning their vacation in space.

• JCanon
    JCanon

Sorry this is off-topic, but I'm compelled to ask ---

DANG! JC, you sure must have a LOT of time lately to write SO many words! Is this, like, your JOB? I think I'm going blind your posts are so loooong!

1/2 j/k

watkins

Sorry, but I'm self conscious. I try to get in as much as I can. Also I type over 120 wpm so before it know it....

JC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit