Died faithful so she has a chance for a resurrection --- Huh?

by mimimimi 19 Replies latest jw friends

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

Yesterday at the grocery store, I ran into a sister from the hall. I have not attended meetings now for 15 to 16 months, but most people there think my health has been really bad and that is why I don't go any more. Anyway, I asked her how her mother was and she told me her mother passed away in July at the age of 95. She then said that her mother died faithful, so she would have a chance for a resurrection. She also made a point to tell me that her mother died of a stroke while she herself was at a meeting at the Hall I felt both comments were directed at me to let me know I should be at meetings and that if I want everlasting life, I needed to be "faithful".

Anyway, what I really wanted to say is, I find it very offensive the way they believe that only faithful witnesses have a chance at a resurrection. I think that idea is more emphasized than ever before. There was a gal at the KH a couple of years ago whose husband died. He had never been a witness and she was scared to death he would not be resurrected. And, of course, the other witnesses are not too encouraging about that. They say, "it is up to Jehovah. He can see hearts", but usually make it pretty clear they do not believe the person has a chance for salvation because they never became a "witless". I sent that sister, who was a wonderful loving person, a sympathy card and assured her in it that her husband would be resurrected because the resurrection is for everyone.

When I was growing up (born in 1952), I don't remember them being so dogmatic about this idea. It seems to me that this is one more thing they have become more and more adamant and dogmatic about - only they, the good and faithful witnesses, have any chance at salvation. They used to say that anyone who died before the big A had a chance at resurrection, but now they try to present it otherwise. Just one more way to control the masses, I suppose.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

"They say, "it is up to Jehovah. He can see hearts"

That is the classic witness cop out. They claim to have all the answers until you nail them on such a subject as 'who will be resurected.' They do not have an answer and so they pull the above statement out of their hind parts. But, to cover there hind part they use such statements. If they truly left it 'up to Jehovah' they would stop trying to judge others.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Of course from their perspective it is very satisfying to insist that only the faithful would be resurrected because how else would they feel vindicated for all those sacrifices made for:

• 3X per week meeting attendance
    • mag prep to make inane comments that try to sound "intelligent and mature", preferrably with a scriptural quotation.
    • door to door on Sunday morning
    • smiling and pretending to be best friends with your nemesis at the Hall when CO or their Bible study shows up

The baggage-laden ass must not only see the carrot, it must believe the carrot can be had by the ass alone.

INQ

• VM44
    VM44

Yes, a wonderful hope indeed for the Grandmother. An exact duplicate of her body will be created in the future with all her memories imprinted upon its brain. This cloned "imposter" will then get to live forever on a paradise earth. Nice, but how does this help the Grandmother who has just recently died?

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

Do any of the JWs actually THINK about the implications of what they are taught by The Watchtower?

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

MiMi I think she made a judgement call, perhaps latter she might regret saying that to you but I doubt it. I have had JDUBS say some off the wall strange stuff to me exactly what you are referring to the lady in the store. It is like they teach unrealistic gloating and puffed up pride. If you think about it! she was not there for her mother when she had that stroke. One thing I noticed about people who brag they also tell another story! I bet she was the primary care giver and went to the meeting that night instead of staying home to watch her mother!

She also made a point to tell me that her mother died of a stroke while she herself was at a meeting at the Hall

In my area, I took care of my mother and could not make meetings and it got the elders upset. About Seven years later, a JDUB grandaughter went off preparing for a new Kingdom Hall and neglected her older grandfather! he had an accident under her care because of her neglect and at the new kindom hall. Here is how she prsented her story at the assembly, she had a special part as a faithful person to Jehovah, she bragged about it to everyone how she was still able to get in her hours for pioneer and help build a new kingdom hall as she took care of her aging grandfather! Never once did she mention anything about the accident that changed her grandfathers life to death!

It is called neglect! Perhaps, this women aging mother of 95 would have survived her stroke if her faithful daughter was at home with her! And this is not the only case I have heard regarding JDUBS neglecting the aging to attend meetings or pioneer!

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

If that women realy does belive that I pity her, what she needs to do is get away from the Witness's teachings and go back to the Bible Students they have never taught selective resurrection, and its much nicer to worship Jehovah in that respect.

http://www.divineplan.org/

• tula
    tula

can anyone pinpoint WHEN this "teaching" of selective resurrection came about?

Has it ever been stated in publication or is it one of those "word of mouth" teachings so later wbts can say..."oh, the evil slave class started that rumor".

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

Tula,

I don't know when the selective resurrection idea really got going. I was raised as a witness and when I was a kid, I remember it being emphasized that people who died at Armageddon would not get a resurrection, but up to that time everyone could be resurrected. Then I left the "troof" for eight years in my early 20's and when I came back things were more dogmatic than they had been before. I came back around 1983, the year my youngest son was born, so it was right after the shakeup at the Watchtower Society headquarters that Ray Franz was involved in, and it really seems to me that things were more dogmatic after that.

I was raised in this and did not know anything else, but there always were things that bothered me and I did not think they were right. I am so glad my eyes were completely opened up and I am out of it now. I still have family in and my mother is elderly and it would kill her for me to be disfellowshipped for apostacy, so I keep a low profile. For a while I was trying to gut it out and still go to meetings, but it became intolerable to me and I just couldn't do it any more. Things like this resurrection thing remind me of why I don't go there any more.

Mimi

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

You should have said "the wages of sin is death so it doesn't matter if she died faithful or not..."

F%$!tards!!!

VM, I've said that for years!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit