6 Die From Brain-Eating Amoeba in Lakes

by Elsewhere 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Having a brain eating amoeba is not as pleasant as it sounds. Else, do you think this is a good subject for you to dwell on in light of your recent surgery?
    Am I the only one who laughed out loud at this? Sorry, elsewhere, if you've really had surgery recently. (?)

lol... I never even thought of that! Ironically, part of the recovery process is doing frequent sinus rinses. Basically I send warm saline water far back into my nose to help clean the site of the surgery... this is the same place where the news article said the little bugs grab on!
  • eclipse
    eclipse
    Basically I send warm saline water far back into my nose to help clean the site of the surgery...

Does that feel the same as when you get water up your nose? I HATE that feeling.

edited to add: I did read the entire article...it's so sad that those young kids needlessly died.

lol @ Lore. wwsd?

• cheen
    cheen

"It sounds like science fiction but it's true: A killer amoeba living in lakes enters the body through the nose and attacks the brain where it feeds until you die."....................this could also read...."A killer amoeba(jehovahs witnesses)living in lakes(kingdom halls) enters the body through the nose(meetings) and attacks the brain where it feeds until you die!"

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

There's just so many ways to die. It makes me so thankful that I am alive for now.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Another reason to be concerned about global climate change perhaps??

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I remember reading a story like this when my children were younger. A little girl that was playing a sandbox got some sort of infection from this bug living in the sand. The story said it turned her brain to mush! I never bought a sandbox for my kids after that. I can't remember if the bug got in there from animal droppings. . .I'm going to have to see if I can find it. . .I doubt it.

• orbison11
    orbison11

i remember watching the twilight zone or outer limits, oh about 40 yrs ago,,when very young

a man tied in a bed,,,bad guys put worm of some kind into his head,,,,watched man go crazy,,,then worm crawled out other ear

sad news,,,was a female who laid eggs,,i kid you not ,,i nver forgot that show,,,oh why did i watch it lol

orb

• yknot
    yknot

The 2 Texas death occurred after swimming in stagnant waters (cove areas) of Lake LBJ, 50 miles west of Austin. This enters the system by ingesting water via nose/mouth or through open wounds.This has been such a scary time for us who live around Lake LBJ. The coves have this nasty green slime growing everywhere. There is no help from the LCRA which manages the lakes in TX, I guess these young men (12 Austin & 22 Lubbock) losing their lives was not reason enough to pay for clean-up.

On a more interesting note. The LCRA answers to no government authority.....not even the Gov Perry (Lake LBJ so-to-be resident)

Sorry for mini rant, I live on the Lake LBJ (open water...so we are safe but frustrated)

Y

• yknot
    yknot

Please pray for some of our local students: 4 more students (3 elem & 1 Jr high) are showing signs of meningitis. Whether viral or bacterial they didn't announce on the radio as of yet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit