JW's and their phantom hall on Dead Man's Curve

by Gopher 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Gopher
    Gopher

The JW's planned a double-hall near a dangerous curve in the road. The project was ill-conceived, and now they're publicly whining about not getting it approved anyway.

Obviously Jehovah did not bless their efforts to push for a Kingdom Hall on this site.

http://www.connpost.com/ci_7020724?source=rss

Jehovah's Witness halls rejected by P&Z AARON LEO [email protected] BRIDGEPORT — Felicia DeMartino, a city native and Jehovah's Witness, was happy to hear that she might be able to walk to services at a meeting hall proposed for 257-269 Huntington Turnpike.

But it could pose a traffic and pedestrian-safety nightmare, said City Councilman Richard Paoletto Jr., D-138, partly because it's a few blocks from the so-called "Dead Man's Curve."

That dangerous stretch of road is about 0.8 mile long and borders Beardsley Park. Evers Street is at the epicenter of the problem, between two curves and hills, and has been the site of 12 accidents over 10 years, he said.

Concerns by Paoletto and other neighbors won over the Planning and Zoning Commission, which unanimously denied the proposal this week.

Jeff Gordon, a former New Haven city planner and volunteer for a regional Jehovah's Witness building committee, proposed two halls connected with a canopy on the site. There would be 74 parking spaces to accommodate maximum seating of 296 people, or four people, per car, per parking space, he said.

But P&Z Chairwoman Patricia Fardy said safety concerns were overriding.

"There was no solution to the safety of people and cars," she said after the P&Z vote. "The whole site is unfortunate."

Gordon later said he disagrees with Fardy's assessment and plans to reapply.

He estimated that he, architects and planners have volunteered about $35,000 worth of work to prepare the design and application to be presented to the commission. The church has also acquired one of the two houses on the site and has a contract on the other, he said. Gordon works for Codespoti & Associates in Orange, designing and planning homes and developments.

Groups that worship in French, Spanish and American Sign Language would have met in the proposed hall, instead of going to sites in Monroe and Orange, he said. There is another Jehovah's Witness hall in Bridgeport on West Avenue near State Street.

Worshippers like DeMartino used to walk to a hall on William Street in Bridgeport as children, but the church outgrew the site and sold it, according to Gordon.

DeMartino was among 27 supporters of the application at the P&Z hearing.

About six people, including Paoletto and his colleague, Robert Curwen, both D-138, spoke against the proposal.

A neighbor, Adele Griffin, said walking is not an option in the area, saying it's difficult for cars to enter traffic from her driveway.

Curwen said he's not opposed to Jehovah's Witnesses, but was not pleased that the project would take more houses off the city's property tax rolls. Fifty-one percent of all property in Bridgeport is tax-exempt, he said.

• JK666
    JK666

I could have been the first "drive-thru" Kingdom Hall.

JK

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Typical zoning issue that will be warped into Satan's ongoing persecution of Jehovah's people in these troubled times.

ZZZzzzz.

The real story is, how come 51% of all property in Bridgeport tax-exempt? That's insane.

I don't believe it, either. This fairly reeks of lazy and/or irresponsible reporting.

Perhaps someone from the Nutmeg State will elucidate us.

~Sue

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I saw Jan and Dean about thirty years ago

Thats what I thought of when I saw your Dead Man's Curve title.

purps

• Gopher
    Gopher

LOL JK666 -- interesting concept.

Betterdaze -- you're right, the 51% of property being tax-exempt is strange. The JW's should have gotten a place 3 miles out of town, so as to take the least expensive property off tax payrolls. Oh well, they think Jehovah's on their side and going to make miracles happen.

Purps -- you were up late, or should I say real early?

I revised one section of Dead Man's Curve for ya:

Well, the last thing I remember, Doc,
    I started to swerve
    And then I saw the Jag slide into the curve
    I know I'll never forget that horrible sight,
    I guess I found out for myself that THE KINGDOM HALL was on the right

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

It would be more fitting for them to build it at a dead end instead of a curve.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

They should build Kingdom Halls in the mall. That way they can do field service in the mall on Saturday.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

If it is as bad as they say, do they really want to have 60 - 70 cars slowing down and turning in there? or coming out there afterwards ? Do not they think of safety?

The church has also acquired one of the two houses on the site

Maybe that had something to do with their determination... I can remember being told never should we buy any property unless planning consent had already been given..As I remember, we made an offer subject to planning consent and it had to wait before contracts were exchanged.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Good catch, Blues Brother.

The congregation plunked down money on a house there, and now they cannot build. Boo hoo!

Did they take a congregation vote before spending the money to buy the house on this site? Aren't you always supposed to bring spending decisions to the congregation at large? Well even if they did, I'm sure the elders set the expectation that the vote would be "yes".

Now with the slow housing market in the States, the local congregation may have to sell this house at a loss. I expect the WT Society will not lift a finger to help the local congregation that got into this predicament.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yes but, since jehovah, the great organiser, is directing them, he will turn it around for his glory.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit