It's that time of year again

by Seven 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• waiting
    waiting

Hey larc,

Even so, he gave up Christmas for his children so as not to offend his mother.

That was pretty neat of your cousin to do that for his mother. How did his children respond?

waited til spring to send the registered letter for me to sign for my upcoming disfellowshipment. My wife, who is more quick witted than I, told me not to sign for it.

Smart thinking woman. Neat idea for me to remember. My husband's family goes waywayway back in the org., like yours. His mother never tires of the stories. Some are pretty neat - more about people than the org.

Do you go over to h20? Maximus (the Latin Quoter) lived next door to my husband's family for years. He & his wife were straight out of Bethel. Local pre-elders disliked him intensely because he wouldn't bow to them. Some assumed he was df'd (without ever hearing from him in years) because he "was too smart." One of those damnable independent thinkers. However, he just saw too much and finally walked away. Free, old, and no retirement.

waiting

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

waiting:
    Makes me sad to read about your acquaintance Maximus. Some time back on H20 some one posted a letter they received (or supposedly recieved, who knows?) from someone who had been a C.O. that they knew. It was sad reading how the brother seemed to realize that something was wrong. A life spent in something not real.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Frenchy,

Maximus moved to this area of "greater need" with his lovely young wife straight from New York City. His wife didn't know what "colored" and "white" signs meant. She took her white clothes to the laundry - and left the dark ones in hamper. Her husband asked why - she said the sign said "whites only." True story - my husband's mom told it to me years ago.

Stayed in a trailer, worked at local radio station as weatherman. My husband, around 12, used to go to work with him - and enjoyed every minute. It was an extremely small town at that time, one congregation for almost the entire county.

Our PO now was the same one way back then, along with several other elders. The same ones who we made the religious business deal with, btw. Well, those then-young men didn't like the Bethelite couple coming down here with their yankee ways - and when the brother didn't bend to them, they never let up on him. He just shrugged, and the local friends always really liked him - much to the irritation of the elder & co. What did they call them back then, btw?

Finally, Maximus moved away. He saw a post on H20 from me with geographical information some months ago - months later he posted to me and then we corresponded. My husband & he e-mail - like old friends. Maximus served as a faithful jw for many decades all around the usa. From what I gather, in areas of responsibility.

He is not df'd or da'd, but sadder & wiser. From what he told me, he finally couldn't take the deviousness of the WTBTS anymore - and he & wife quietly walked away. He's not so quiet anymore.

Marvelous man - quite intelligent, well schooled, and a good friend to have. My husband was talking to his elder brother, and he said he'd been speaking with Maximus (real names used). His brother, who has not heard anything about him - nor had any contact with him, said that Maximus was part of the Great Apostacy at Bethel around 1980, along with Franz. He called him a "follower of Franz." To my husband's credit - he just looked at his brother and said "bullshit."

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 12 December 2000 22:23:28

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Servants....Congregation Servant, Theocratic Ministry School Servant, ad nauseum.

• thinker
    thinker

"Even though Christmas is not the real anniversary of our Lord's birth, but more properly the annunciation day or the date of his human begetting (Luke 1:28), nevertheless, since the celebration of our Lord's birth is not a matter of divine appointment or injunction, but merely a tribute of respect to him, it is not necessary for us to quibble particularly about the date. We may as well join with the civilized world in celebrating the grand event on the day which the majority celebrate - 'Christmas day.'" {WT Dec 1 1904 }

• waiting
    waiting

Hey thinker,

Nice to meet you. Obviously, there have been several "tacking" changes, and even complete turn-arounds, let alone New Light several times since that Watchtower article.

Too bad common sense was back then, and now after all these changes, no sense at all.

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 13 December 2000 16:45:33

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit