Awake! Special Issue - Can You Trust The Bible?

by karvel 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• undercover
    undercover
    a shark is a fish though.

Oh well...I liked the way my nephew was thinking even if not technically correct.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07
    Oh well...I liked the way my nephew was thinking even if not technically correct.

Lol - I had to check first myself! I was pretty sure the shark is a fish, but had to look it up just in case.

Arguably, sharks look quite similar to dolphins, and quite different from most other fish. Nevertheless, I guess there are those key differences that make them classify as a fish (not mammals, for instance).

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The notion of a flat earth is especially clear in 1 Enoch, which is quoted in the NT.

It may also be worth noting that Genesis 1:9 claims that land arose when the waters were gathered together into a single place, exposing dry land. But that is not what happened geologically in the early earth. The continents formed through renewed volcanic activity in the Archaen Eon (a time in which the earth was largely covered in water) which created lighter granitic rock that accumulated above the denser basaltic rock of the crust. This involved the movement of new rock being formed underwater, not movement of water exposing the rock underneath.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

-By the way; what are the other "Reasons to trust the Bible" in this article?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

The article contains one of its famous un-look-up-able quotes from the prestigious "one professor" who says, "A universe that began seems to demand a first cause; for who could imagine such an effect without a sufficient cause?"

This professor might be Dr. Walter L. Bradley, and may have come from a previous version of his article here: http://www.leaderu.com/real/ri9403/evidence.html.

I searched and found the quote on Google here: http://www.knowwhatyoubelieve.com/believe/evidence/does_god_exist.htm The bibliography for this quote points to the above article by Bradley. However, the quote itself doesn't appear in the article. There is also a google groups result that seems to suggest Bradley's article once contained the Society's quoted phrase.

As a noted con-man once remarked, "There's a sucker born every minute".

Dave

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

I like how they added the word "sphere" to the "circle of the earth" scripture. Then continue the explanation by using sphere even though the scripture doesn't say sphere. Kinda like how they edit trinitarian scriptures with their own version and THEN USE THOSE AS PROOF TEXTS. F*cktards, -ithinkisee

• karvel
    karvel

-By the way; what are the other "Reasons to trust the Bible" in this article?

i'll scan the rest later tonight. i'm late for bookstudy! LOL

• VM44
    VM44

There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth

Honestly, when reading this verse does one really think of God dwelling ABOVE a sphere?

Which direction is "above" a sphere?

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

I don't think the writer was talking about "Hyperspace"!

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

Hey they stole that picture from the Live forever book!!! I think they changed the fish. They now show Jonah being eaten by a great white shark!! hahahahahah LMFAO du do du do du do du do du (thats the JAWS backgroung music)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit