Need help finding articles: Propaganda

by smellsgood 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

It is referred to as a "diagram" now, apparently, instead of an "insert". Thanks, Gopher, for unearthing it again.

Is the Work of Jehovah's Witnesses Propagandistic?

The CD ROM has it included (thanks, V) as a box within the article "The Manipulation of Information", a box which includes a DOOZY of information manipulation. The World Book Encyclopedia states:

Propaganda is one-sided communication designed to influence people's thinking and actions. A television commercial or a poster urging people to vote for a political candidate might be propaganda, depending on its method of persuasion.
    Propaganda differs from education in democratic societies. But education in a dictatorship can involve teaching children and youth by techniques that could be classified as propaganda. Educators in democratic societies teach people how to think, but propagandists tell them what to think. Most educators are willing to change their opinions on the basis of new evidence, but propagandists ignore evidence that contradicts them. Educators present all sides of an issue and encourage debate. Propagandists build the strongest possible case for their views and discourage discussion.

The highlighted portion is the bit they quoted from the World Book Encyclopedia.

At the same time, the work of the Witnesses is educational. Using the Bible as a basis, they teach people worldwide to reason on Bible principles and thereby develop right standards of conduct and moral integrity. They promote values that improve family life and help young people cope with their peculiar challenges. They also help people to find the strength to overcome bad habits and to develop the ability to get along with others. Such a work would hardly be termed “propaganda.” As The World Book Encyclopedia says, in a climate where ideas circulate freely, “propaganda differs from education.”

This implies that the World Book Encyclopedia agrees that their work would not be considered propaganda and would be considered education; which could only be true if (1) the religion is a democratic society and (2) they teach people how to think instead of teaching people what to think.

Since their own publications make it perfectly clear that they are interested in teaching people what to think and are interested in punishing people who think otherwise and since they are grossly misusing information, they are propagandists.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• TheListener
    TheListener

Just saw this thread. Niiiiiice.

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

Perfect!

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

Perfect!

Thank you everyone, I never figured to look on the affictional website, didn't think they'd be that daft. They do cover their ass however, with their subtleties as in any other article that implies one should start "thinking"

We all know what THIS really means, particularly since the Sept. KM on Bible groups, har har.

"However, we do not want to be so narrow that we refuse to consider facts that can improve our thinking. How can we find the right balance? By adopting a standard with which to measure new information. Here a Christian has a source of great wisdom.**** He has the Bible as a sure guide for his thinking.***** On the one hand, his mind is open, that is, receptive to new information. He properly weighs such new information against the Bible standard and fits what is true into his pattern of thinking. On the other hand, his mind sees the danger of information that is entirely inconsistent with his Bible-based values."

There's the kick. When they say that, along with "wieghs such new information against the Bible standard" what the Jehovah's Witness understands implicitly is that::: if it contradicts the FDS, it's rubbish, if something is "inconsistent with his WT High control information" then it is DANGEROUS.

Now, I don't know if anyone will read this, but I am busily still trying to find more articles that encourage 'testing' and how about that article from the fifties or so that exorts the sheep to read all the wonderful "food" from the past?? I love that one.

Any articles at all, I'm remembering the words "investigate...not only what we believe..."

Y'all are so helpful :)

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

I found them! I found them!

Thank you Watchtowerinformationservice.org, under verify your religion!

Oh, I'm just giddy with excitement.

*** Watchtower November 15, 1963 p.688 Execution of Divine Judgment upon False Religion ***

Can there be false religion? It is not a form of religious persecution for anyone to say and to show that another religion is false. It is not religious persecution for an informed person to expose publicly a certain religion as being false, thus allowing persons to see the difference between false religion and true religion.

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

*** The Truth That Leads to Eternal Life 1968 p.13 Why It Is Wise to Examine Your Religion ***

This is why you don't throw out your old WT people! We need every bit of their rot scanned for usn's who don't have the actual physical copies!!

*** Watchtower January 15, 1974 p.35 Can You Be True to God, Yet Hide the Facts? ***

When persons are in great danger from a source that they do not suspect or are being misled by those they consider their friends, is it an unkindness to warn them? They may prefer not to believe the warning. They may even resent it. But does that free one from the moral responsibility to give that warning?

If you are among those seeking to be faithful to God, the issues these questions raise are vital for you today.

• TheListener
    TheListener

That sounds good smellsgood.

Nice finds.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

(Credit goes to Smellsgood) The Truth That Leads to Eternal Life 1968 p.13 Why It Is Wise to Examine Your Religion Scan: http://www.imagebam.com/image/ea4992248034 Watchtower January 15, 1974 p.35 Can You Be True to God, Yet Hide the Facts? Scans of entire article pages 35-37 http://www.imagebam.com/image/47991b248182 http://www.imagebam.com/image/35c2c9248082 http://www.imagebam.com/image/864ad7248125 Nevada-

• Atlantis
  • smellsgood
    smellsgood

Atlantis!!

Thank you thank you thank you! All credit goes to you my friend! I have a ridiculously slow connection, but I am downloading and printing them right now! Man, I'm so chuffed, brilliant!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit