The State of the US Dollar

by nvrgnbk 21 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Is This the Wile E. Coyote Moment?

Lots of buzz suddenly about the possibility of a sharp fall in the dollar. The Canadian dollar is back at parity with the greenback; there are rumors that the Saudis are planning to diversify into euros, and maybe even that the Chinese might break the dollar peg. A nice summary at Barry Ritholtz’s blog The Big Picture.

I could say that I saw this coming; the problem is that I’ve been seeing it coming for several years, and it keeps not arriving (and I don’t know if this is really it, even now.) The argument I and others have made is that the U.S. trade deficit is, fundamentally, not sustainable in the long run, which means that sooner or later the dollar has to decline a lot. But international investors have been buying U.S. bonds at real interest rates barely higher than those offered in euros or yen — in effect, they’ve been betting that the dollar won’t ever decline.

So, according to the story, one of these days there will be a Wile E. Coyote moment for the dollar: the moment when the cartoon character, who has run off a cliff, looks down and realizes that he’s standing on thin air – and plunges. In this case, investors suddenly realize that Stein’s Law applies — “If something cannot go on forever, it will stop” – and they realize they need to get out of dollars, causing the currency to plunge. Maybe the dollar’s Wile E. Coyote moment has arrived – although, again, I’ve been wrong about this so far.

Much more about all this in a thoroughly incomprehensible paper I recently published in the European journal Economic Policy. Don’t bother clicking if you hate funny diagrams and Greek letters.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/

• whereami
    whereami

Have you been reading Robert Kings web site?

• Simon
    Simon

I read a very interesting article in the Economist a few years ago which predicted that the US dollar would crash by at least 30%, possibly more.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Have you been reading Robert Kings web site?

E-Watchman?

Nope.

Please go on.

• changeling
    changeling

Robert King is the king of all JW kooks!

changeling

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

It would appear that it's coming to fruition, Simon.

• flipper
    flipper

NVR- On the program " Coast to Coast" they had on a financial psychic or something like that , someone who is in the "know" on these things and he said that by November there is going to be a fallout pretty bad in the economy, especially in the housing industry. Well, that is already happening, tell us something we don't know, right? But I guess he said it's gonna get worse then! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Just curious, Mr. Flipper, did he say that before or after the Fed dropped the Discount Rate?

• flipper
    flipper

NVR- I'm not sure when the fed dropped the discount rate, as I haven't followed it that closely, however the show I heard this on was about month and a half to 2 months ago. Hope that helps

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Thanks for the clarification, Mr. Flipper.

This move, the first drop in 4 years, was made Friday.

Hopefully this may soften the blow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit