Another odd thing in my life, I would like explained

by free2beme 9 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I know there are a lot of people on this site who really have issue with the super natural. As was seen in my post about my dead grandmother. So this one will probably have people upset too. Yet it is so odd, I had to post it, as it is being talked about all around my work (about 300 people). I work in a call center and we record customer's communication by their phone numbers. Well, this last week we were running a contest on sales and my call center supervisor came by to ask if I had a sale. I was working on one and he figured I would get it and wrote down a sale and gave me some money. Well, the customer backed out a few seconds later and I went over and explained it did not work out. He told me to just put a fictitious number on our center board and when I got my next sale, replace it with the real.

So I wrote down a number like this (Not real one, for obvious reasons): 707 555-1112

Well the day goes by and is slow and I worried I might not end up getting the sale to replace this mistake. So it is the last ten minutes and I get a woman who calls in and ask for the product I needed for the contest. I do the order, and get my stuff ready to go home and walk by the board to erase my fictional one and replace with the correct one. The girl in charge of the contest knows what is happening and offers to do it for me. I give her the number and it is only off by one digit from the one I made up 2 hours earlier. Now that would be no big deal if we only worked in one area code, but we handle 19 states. If you were to compare it to my example, it would be like this.

707 556-1112

The girl was looking at me like I was joking and I did not know what she meant. So she explained and to be sure we looked up my order to see that I did record the right number and sure enough. I did!

Anyone care to explain the scientific odds on that one? I would like to hear it. Guessing the right area code, only one off on the rest, Correct order, and all happening on the same day.

• horrible life
    horrible life

I really don't know what to say about your incident, but, I have 2 hours before the Texas lottery drawing, would you please PM me 6 numbers?

• journey-on
    journey-on

Again...same comment I had in your last post about your G'ma. Coincidence? I hesitate to use the word psychic

because it conjurs up in the minds of some people some sort of New Age hocus pocus babble. But, I can't help

but believe there are some people that are intuitive beyond the normal and pick up "something" along those psychic

lines. If this happens to you a lot, I would not poo-poo it. I would nurture it and keep a journal of how, when, where,

and under what circumstances these incidents were occurring.

• changeling
    changeling

Coincidences do happen. I don't know the scientific odds but somebody has to beat them every now and then.

changeling

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I don't know how much sense this post will make (I'm thinking as I post), but here I go:

-All events in our lives - big and small - are ultimately the result of a mind-numbing row of coincidental events. To use a hyperbole; I would not be writing this post if my great-great-great grandfather hadn't agreed to go to that specific trip and met my great-great-great grandmother who almost couldn't make it either, and if my great-great grandmother hadn't chosen to ride a bike to work that particular day she wouldn't have broken her leg and therefore met my great-great grandfather who was her doctor that day, and if my great grandfather hadn't moved to another county when he was 25, he wouldn't have met my great grandmother, and if my grandmother had died of asphyxiation at birth as she was moments away from doing, she wouldn't have lived to meet my grandfather, and if my father hadn't worn a helmet when he ran off the road on his motorbike at age 18 he wouldn't have lived to meet my mother.

All of the events above had to be in place for me to be alive and have the exact personality I have. Add to that a couple of billion other coincidences that make up my family's history and the things that have influenced me in my own life.... What are the odds that I am me?

Well - there are no odds on that, because it's looking at it bass-ackwards; all those things didn't happen in order to create me - I happened to become me as a result of all those coincidental events.

So life is already full of coincidences. Some we notice, most we don't. You got hit by a car today - - - - but if you had remembered to take out the garbage before you left the house, you would have spent a couple of minutes on that, and the car would have missed you because of it.

As for numbers - yes, I agree it seems too far fetched that this could happen as a coincidence. I guess it all comes down to interpretation. I think I have a few of these events in my life as well. Like all the times I would hear a scripture at the hall, and when I was to find it in the Bible, I would immediately open the book on the correct page number and my eyes would look straight at the correct passage. Or like the time I was fed up with it raining, and for fun "shouted": "Stop it!" - and only seconds later the rain was reduced to a trickle, and then stopped.

I see it as coincidences - you may see it as spiritual events.

Something I initially forgot to add here, are lottery numbers. Lotteries are good examples of coincidences happening. Let's say a friend of yours was put in another room from you, and was asked to write down 12 numbers. Then you were given the task of writing down 12 numbers as well. How amazing wouldn't it be if he came back to the room you were in, and it turned out you had written down the exact same numbers that he had!? But that's exactly what happens in a lottery. Granted, there are perhaps several thousand or even millions of people who enter the lottery, and so the odds of someone among them getting it right are lower. But to the person who wins, it's a big coincidence that he/she wrote down the exact same numbers that the lottery people had chosen as the winning numbers.

Another thing I've been thinking about lately (last couple of years) is all the times a coincidence almost happens but doesn't. Like looking at the phone and thinking of my parents. Nothing happens. But what if - by coincidence - they were to call me at that exact moment? Wow, it would blow me away, right? I think there are lots of those 'almost coincidences' throughout our everyday life, but for obvious reasons we only notice them when they actually happen.

Then again - who knows; there are lots of weird things in science today as well, like in quantum mechanics theory. Maybe we'll have an answer that goes beyond coincidences one day (and 'beyond' the spiritual). Most people experience deja-vu. Maybe it's something like that, and that it has an explainable origin other than what I described above. So - even though I view myself as an atheist and naturalist, I wouldn't completely poo-poo what those who feel they have spiritual experiences experience. But as of right now, I must say I think it's just coincidences, even though it sometimes may appear to be too far fetched and the odds seem to be against it.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Everything is connected in one way or another.

That can't be denied.

We can stick different labels on the manifestations of these connections, but they exist nonetheless.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Hello Freetobeme.

I dont have any problems with the supernatural. Personally, I dont entertain it. But I suspect there is something there. It could be spirits. It could be interfacing with another dimension. I dont know.

Everybodys got to do something to fill their time. Some pursue the super natural.

I would think the odds are the same for any number to randomly appear. You had a 10 digit number those are pretty high odds. But it was off by one. Close only counts in grenades and horseshoes.

Every week people win the lottery thats picking 6 random numbers. Whats the significance in that?

They are going to be rich.

I do believe if you try to develop your psychic ability that you will be able to do so. And looking for quirky things, paying attention to your dreams are probably ways to do so.

The odds of picking 6 of 6 in the Florida lottery are

1:22,957,480 But as I pointed off you were off by one. So your question would be not what are the odds of picking 10 random numbers but what are the odds of picking 9 out of 10. They would be pretty high. But remember you didnt pick them. They just happened and you observed them. Dont get me wrong, I think it is wonderful to be full of awe and wonder and marvel about this life. Those are my thoughts.

• greendawn
    greendawn

From the Christian perspective spirits or angels do exist and they can transmit knowledge to humans that would otherwise be beyond them. So such coincidental occurences may not be by sheer chance but rather their work.

In addition the telepathic process between humans (rather than humans and angels) can transmit ideas and knowledge.

• tula
    tula

OBVES is the number expert.

Ask him.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Well, I couldn't find the odds for matching 9 out of 10 digits in the exact order, but I did find this:

"The odds of winning the Grand Prize (matching all 6 numbers) in the US Powerball Multistate Lottery, with a single ticket, under the rules as of 2006, are 146,107,962 to 1 against, for a probability of 7×10-9." -- Wikipedia entry: Orders of Magnitude (Numbers)

So it's no wonder everyone at work is talking about this!!!

Do you think we might live in parallel universes? I do.

out

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit