Why atheism?

by Skimmer 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

On varieties of atheism:

Can we even speak of clear and distinct ideological borders among atheists, agnostics, and theists? Absent any commonly accepted scientific proof of the existence of God (or gods), we must consider that the labeling is based on an individual's personal interpretation. The question of why people choose atheism is interesting to me from both a psychological and theological standpoint.

One thing that is interesting about atheism is that it usually is a choice and not something that is commonly incurred from one's parents. I think that there are several probable motivational factors and more than one may exist for any particular person.

Perhaps the most common reason for choosing atheism is not a personal conviction that God doesn't exist, but rather a negative reaction against religious practices one observed (or was forced into) as a youth. I am not surprised at all that many exJWs became atheists. I wonder if many of these people are really atheists, but rather "areligionists" and are more closer to agnosticism than atheism.

Another cause for a choice of atheism is the Problem of Evil. Also known as the Problem of Pain (C. S. Lewis) and the Problem of Disorder. The existence of evil is, as described in the _Handbook of Christian Apologetics_, "the only apparent proof of atheism". And while I know the theist answer to this (I am a Roman Catholic), I have yet to come across a simple, easily phrased answer.

Another reason for choice of atheism is the fear that theism may be true, complete with a promise or threat of judgment in the afterlife. Likewise, a fear of no survival of death could lead to theism. But is either fear a justification of belief or disbelief?

Maybe more than a few people, perhaps those who could not be accused of having a low opinion of their personal intellectual talents, are atheists because, in their view, many or most theists are stupid, low-class, and gullible.

I wonder how many "strong" atheists are out there. By this I mean those that have examined the evidence and arguments and are convinced beyond all doubt that God does not exist or cannot exist. I know the the late Isaac Asimov was one of these and he was an intelligent, well-read author, but I think he was wrong.

Likewise, how many "strong" agnostics are out there? Here, a strong agnostic is one who claims that we cannot decide the question. I think that the late Carl Sagan was one of these. It is arguable that Albert Einstein was close to this position when he suggested that "the Good Lord" was "infinitely subtle".

Are you an atheist? If so, could you share your reasoning with the readership?

• COMF
    COMF

(Atheism) ...usually is a choice.

I doubt it.

Belief is no more a matter of choice than is sexual orientation. What you believe is what you percieve to be true. This is not a choice; it's a perception. We can't "choose" to believe something. We can only choose to pretend to believe... an action which describes Christian faith far better than it does atheism. It is the Christians who have not "examined the evidence and arguments" and who, when presented with evidence damaging to the notion of a divinely inspired bible and an all-powerful, all-wise God, get angry, threaten fiery retribution, clutch at straws to save their fragile belief system.

I think that there are several probable motivational factors and more than one may exist for any particular person.

Christians usually do. They go to great lengths to explain away the obvious, searching for something to cast the unbeliever in a shadowy light that feels comfortable to them as they try to justify their faith.

Perhaps the most common reason for choosing atheism is not a personal conviction that God doesn't exist, but rather a negative reaction against religious practices one observed (or was forced into) as a youth.

You continue in the notion of "atheism as a choice"... beating a dead horse in hopes it will gallop for you.

the Problem of Evil... the fear that theism may be true...many or most theists are stupid, low-class, and gullible.

How about, because the mass of evidence sways logical, reasoning people to disbelief?

how many "strong" agnostics are out there?

That would be me. I didn't arrive at agnosticism lightly, or by choice. It took me about five years of reasoning, examining, pondering, asking, listening, discussing, and meditating to finally reach the point where I could call myself an agnostic. It was not a particularly welcome designation; simply the result of my thoughtful examination of reality.

I do so get tired of seeing atheists/agnostics cast in this shadowy light you're trying to perpetuate here. It is as misrepresentative of the facts as it is to say that most blacks are lazy, most Mexicans are thieves, most whites are bigots, most women are masochists.

As you will have perceived by now, I don't like the tone of your post. Oh, well...

COMF

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos
    One thing that is interesting about atheism is that it usually is a choice and not something that is commonly incurred from one's parents. I think that there are several probable motivational factors and more than one may exist for any particular person.

In my case this was one of choice. After several years of challenges from Witness's, I found that I could no longer continue to believe or justify my protestant upbringing.

Perhaps the most common reason for choosing atheism is not a personal conviction that God doesn't exist, but rather a negative reaction against religious practices one observed (or was forced into) as a youth. I am not surprised at all that many exJWs became atheists. I wonder if many of these people are really atheists, but rather "areligionists" and are more closer to agnosticism than atheism.

I am personally convinced that God does not exist at least in the Judeao-Christian sense. Can't say for sure if other religions portray an accurate view of him. To many religions and not enough time. My background with the Judeao-Christian view of God has enabled me to determine that most other religions have many of the same flawed concepts for proof of their God(s). Though I cannot say this for sure, because I can not possibly study all religions. Kind of a "I've proved one wrong, why should the others be much different".

Another cause for a choice of atheism is the Problem of Evil. Also known as the Problem of Pain (C. S. Lewis) and the Problem of Disorder. The existence of evil is, as described in the _Handbook of Christian Apologetics_, "the only apparent proof of atheism". And while I know the theist answer to this (I am a Roman Catholic), I have yet to come across a simple, easily phrased answer.

The way I look at the Problem of Evil is as follows:

If our Sun exploded, or some other catastrophe occurred, and the human race was wiped out totally. This would be the most horrific event to ever happen. Could we call this evil? It could be called many things, but not evil. Society has come up with the term "Evil". Most people only perceive evil when there is intelligences behind it. In the overall picture of the Universe, the eventual explosion of our sun will be just another event in the Cosmos. No one will be left to assign a human quality such as evil to it. I don't think Evil really exists, just a human idea.

I have not studied atheism, so the above is my own view, and should not be taken as the view of all atheist.

Another reason for choice of atheism is the fear that theism may be true, complete with a promise or threat of judgment in the afterlife. Likewise, a fear of no survival of death could lead to theism. But is either fear a justification of belief or disbelief?

I am not in fear that theism may be true. Not really worried about it any more. I have looked into the beliefs that I was raised with and found them to be inaccurate. I must admit that growing up and the thought of burning in Hell did effectively keep me believing in God. I suspect that many Witness's found relief in the WatchTowers Doctrine of Death or non-existence, as opposed to eternal torment. After escape from the belief in Hell it would be difficult to embrace it again. I never became a Witness, but I fought long and hard to keep my belief in Hell. I finally had disproved so much of my previous religion, that it all eventually tumbled, Hell Heaven and all. I really don't think that if a God exists that he really cares what I personally think of him. The proof of his existence is so lacking as far as I'm concerned, that I don't think he could judge me for my disbelief.

Maybe more than a few people, perhaps those who could not be accused of having a low opinion of their personal intellectual talents, are atheists because, in their view, many or most theists are stupid, low-class, and gullible.

I wonder how many "strong" atheists are out there. By this I mean those that have examined the evidence and arguments and are convinced beyond all doubt that God does not exist or cannot exist. I know the late Isaac Asimov was one of these and he was an intelligent, well-read author, but I think he was wrong.

Likewise, how many "strong" agnostics are out there? Here, a strong agnostic is one who claims that we cannot decide the question. I think that the late Carl Sagan was one of these. It is arguable that Albert Einstein was close to this position when he suggested that "the Good Lord" was "infinitely subtle".

Are you an atheist? If so, could you share your reasoning with the readership?

As far as intellectually, I would not consider my self as superior to those that have religious beliefs. I do know that I have studied enough to be sure of what I believe and don't believe. I have to believe that the religious have not studied the same material that I have studied, and therefore have come to a different conclusion. There also could be some areas of religion that I haven't studied that possibly could change my beliefs. I have read quite a lot, and do not really expect this to happen though.

In the process of deciding that I was not a Christian, I have studied Higher Criticism, learned to read Koine Greek and some Hebrew and studied many of the theories of Biblical Redaction. Most people do not understand why I would be interested in this, and I cannot really explain it, put simply, I have to know.

I still haven't decided if I'm atheist, agnostic or what. I don't like the term atheist because it tends to offend most Christians. I am very interested in Christian beliefs. I may just be wondering if there was some thought or reasoning I might have missed.

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

After reading COMF's post I have to make the following correction:

I guess I really didn't have a choice in what I believe, just like I didn't have a choice what to believe when my mom took me to the Baptist church as a child.

The only choice I may have had, was to face my own mortality and find out what the truth was.

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

I restate my claim that atheism or agnosticism is a choice, or a personal decision. I think it is rare that it is forced upon someone and is instead a response occurring in adulthood. Sometimes the response is because of "weighing the mass of evidence" and I suppose that is a valid answer. But it is not a specific answer. The same answer phrase is also used by any number of persons who have chosen theism.

I do not think the term "atheism" is one of denigration. It is only a label. The same is true of agnosticism.

I am not particularly upset if some decide for atheism or agnosticism. But I am interested in their reasoning. Aside from the problem of evil, what are their arguments?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I am an atheist because I see no evidence for the existence of a god or gods. It's that simple. I am not a "strong" atheist because if you define the attributes of a god loosely enough then it is impossible to prove its nonexistence. It's like the invisible dragon in my garage. It might exist, there's no way of proving it doesn't but it seems silly to believe in it.

--
    Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit attrocities - Voltaire

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Okay, you want my reasoning, here you go;

Can we even speak of clear and distinct ideological borders among atheists, agnostics, and theists? Absent any commonly accepted scientific proof of the existence of God (or gods), we must consider that the labeling is based on an individual's personal interpretation.

I think that’s combining being deliberately obscure with a statement of the bleeding obvious. “Labeling is based on an individual's personal interpretation” is a statement of fact more than anything else. As for “clear and distinct ideological borders among atheists, agnostics, and theists”, well, you can bog ANY debate down in semantics if you want to bad enough. Look at Clinton and his semantical wriggling over the meaning of ‘is’.

If we define “god” as the creator who has power over our fate, then we can usefully define theist (someone who believes in god), atheist (someone who does not believe in god) and agnostic (someone who doesn’t know if there is a god or not). If “god” does not conform to the above definition, one can reasonably argue that the whole god thing is not really that important, as if “god” is not our creator and has no power over our fates, then it’s just a species of intelligent extraterrestrial.

The question of why people choose atheism is interesting to me from both a psychological and theological standpoint.

I think what you mean is that “for someone born at the time I was born and in the place I was born, atheism is usually a choice and not something that is commonly incurred from one's parents”. Basing any assumption based upon your individual background and extrapolating against the world renders that extrapolation invalid whenever it is applied to someone without your background.

This is true even if it is a difference of detail (being raised believing in a different type of god and/or a different number of gods), rather than a substantial detail (not believing in god). Your statement also side-steps cultural issues, such as you having far more freedom to choose to be an atheist in the Western world than in a culture where religious belief is more homogenous. Your language is also hideously loaded. You use “incurred” to describe a child being bought up an atheist, which gives a clear indication of your own opinion, as normally “incurred” is used to describe a negative consequence of an action. Nice to know you approach this debate with an open and impartial mind. ;-)

Oh god, another one. Without wishing to be rude, I am so heartily tired of pious hand-wringing by theists who are so convinced of their own beliefs they have to become apologists for atheists by making out that atheists are really opposed to religion and have only stopped believing in god because they are, for want of a better word, sulking. I have to put up with it from my parents and put a nice smile on, I don’t have to put up with it from anyone else.

It is offensive to me as it would be to you if I said that theists only keep on believing in god because they are too intellectually and emotionally weak and too educationally deficient to comprehend and cope with the fact there is no god. Those are observations, not criticisms, but more of that later.

Of the atheists on this board, and on similar boards, I cannot think of one who is an atheist because they are suffering a “negative reaction against religious practices”. They may well be suffering a “negative reaction against religious practices”, but this is in addition and very much secondary to a disbelief in the existence of god based upon logical and/or scientific reasoning. Thus your statement “Perhaps the most common reason for choosing atheism is not a personal conviction that God doesn't exist” is demonstrably false unless you can provide some proof for what is otherwise an unsupported and offensive opinion.

I love the quote you give. “The only apparent proof of atheism”… the arrogance of it is sublime. If fails to even consider that god is as much of a theory as evolution, with the noticeable difference of having no supporting evidence whatsoever, other than the belief of theists. This is not proof; Santa Claus will never exist, no matter how many children believe in him.

That whole argument is spurious, at least as far as I am concerned. The details of a belief, the expectations of after-life or whatever, are secondary to the establishment of existence of a god. And being an atheist because of “fear that theism may be true” is nonsensical. Find me one atheist who actually believes that!

You fail to distinguish between observations and criticisms – see I said we’d get back to that. I can honestly say I have not had one argument about evolution with a creationist who displayed anything more than High School level of knowledge of the Biological Sciences or a parroted repetition of higher level arguments. I have had dozens of arguments with creationists, so it is not just my sample size speaking. That doesn’t mean that they are stupid, it just means they might not have the educational background to fully appreciate the arguments being made. Thus I can observe this as a characteristic of creationists, without making any criticism of them or their intelligence, credulity or decency.

Hell I used to be a creationist when I was a JW. Does that mean I got suddenly got smart and became an evolutionist? No, it means I got myself a decent Science education and realized even the most hopeful vague pseudoscientific creationist waffle does not really work.

And, no, I have not changed the argument from god to evolution. Please SPARE me ‘Intelligent Design’.

If god didn’t make us or cause us, he’s got no right to direct or control us.

If god made or caused us, then, well, even without the evidence supporting evolution there are logical proofs within the Biological world showing that if we were made we were made badly. Look at your shins. Look at your spines. He could have given us a decent bipedal chassis instead of reworking a quadruped chassis! And be thankful you are not a female Hyena; they copulate and give birth through a psedopenis that is actually a massively enlarged clitoris. Ouch! First birth mortality rate reaches 30%!!! Bad design, completely explicable in evolutionary terms.

If god is the same person that set the general moral standards of the Judaeo/Christo/Islamic faiths, then he designed or caused us to have a body set up to break these moral laws. If a man is absent from his regular sexual partner for a number of days, when he has sex with her (I don’t know if this works for gay guys, thus the ‘her’) he will produce FAR more sperm than usual when he has an orgasm, even if he has masturbated inbetween times. It’s like his body is attempting to flush any sperm from other guys away. Yet we are meant to be monogamous. Logical proof that the Judaeo/Christo/Islamic god doesn’t exist, from the bodies it is meant to have made!! It’s also more-or-less proved that many sperm are actually anti-sperm sperm, more suited to acting as blockers for other guys sperm that allow the running back to make the touch down for the home team, so to speak. Again, high level ‘design’ feature contrary to the logic of the Judaeo/Christo/Islamic god.

If we were caused, it was by a joker who caused us to have a mind that can set rigorous demands of proof and then left nothing approaching this proof as evidence for their existence.

So god is either an incompetent creator, or a trickster god who makes belief a leap of faith in a direction contrary to that indicated by our intellect? Pfff!

I wonder how many "strong" atheists are out there. By this I mean those that have examined the evidence and arguments and are convinced beyond all doubt that God does not exist or cannot exist. I know the the late Isaac Asimov was one of these and he was an intelligent, well-read author, but I think he was wrong.

If I am the second you’ve found, well, you haven’t been looking, you’ve just been making fatuous assumptions.

Agnostics are intellectual chicken shits. Sad but true, harsh but fair.

Logically it is ludicrous to suppose god would leave its existence a question of faith, especially if that god purports to be a loving god and has requirements for our behaviour, with penalties for not conforming to those requirements.

If god has no requirements for our behaviour, then its existence is curiosity value only, and again the lack of proof bespeaks the lack of god.

If god does exist, then it is an asshole playing games. There is no other logical conclusion. Either that or god is something so far removed from the Judaeo/Christo/Islamic concept of god as to render the term god meaningless for the purposes of meaningful discussion.

So, those are my thoughts – sorry if they are disjointed, I’ve been at work whilst writing this on and off while I’ve been at my desk, so it might be a bit bitty.

You go on to say, in a subcequent post "I restate my claim that atheism or agnosticism is a choice, or a personal decision".

Yes? And? So? What? Does that make it less valid than the vast majority of peiople who believe what they believe through the inertia of their upbringing rather than any specific attempt on their part to find a way?

Religion is far more often FORCED upon someone than aheism, so your point her is also uncertain.

I also find your asking for arguements curious.

You are making claims for the existence of something based upon a book.

If I would make claims for the existence of Gandalf, or Bilbo Baggins, or any character from a book, it would be beholden upon ME to prove that they existed outside of the imaginary space afforded by the book.

You would seem to be in a similar situation. Why do you believe in god? What are your arguements? From where I stand the tooth fairy is more convincing...

Keep on rocking in the free world...

• JanH
    JanH

skimmer,

I restate my claim that atheism or agnosticism is a choice, or a personal decision

It is a false claim. I discovered I was an atheist, simply that I did not believe any God or gods existed, I never decided to become one.

If I had a choice, that was in educating myself and about being honest about what I believed.

It is my clear impression that many believers just think they believe; to them theism is a membership in a social group that shares a system of beliefs, and they don't give it much thought before they experience a crisis and realize they don't believe, deep down inside, that there is a God that will take them to heaven or whenever when they die.

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Skimmer,

I joined the Atheist church near me because I decided I wanted to be stupid and evil, and they promised me "undreamed of wealth" from selling their two magazines, "The Pit" and "Asleep".

Does that fit your preconception well?

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Christians apparently need to categorize athiests and explain their heresy through the
    use of character flaws, past injury, or indoctrination.

In reality, there is a very valid reason that I am an athiest - after much study and thought,
    I have become convinced that this is the truth. I believe that there is no God for the same
    reason that I believe that the earth is round. All of the evidence points that way. It is not
    because of emotional baggage or damage from religion.

I also find that it is the most satisfying and liberating belief system that I have ever experienced.

As I was deprogramming myself from JWism, I wondered if I would need to go on a search for
    truth to replace my crumbling belief system, like those pathetic losers who give experiences
    at district assemblies. What I found was that excising JW doctrines was not at all like
    surgery, it was more like losing a baby tooth. It didn't just fall out, it was pushed out because
    a new realization had grown in behind it.

I would also like to point out that the comments in this thread are probably the most intelligent
    that I have seen over the years - compare them to those of the bible thumpers.

As a side comment, the introduction to "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking made the
    comment that Hawking sought to address the concept of whether God had a choice in becoming
    a creator. His conclusion was that, in this universe, there was nothing for a creator to do. Carl Sagan
    wrote the introduction. Hawking himself appears to be either agnostic or athiest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit