Sex is bad...violence is GOOd. :)

by d0rkyd00d 10 Replies latest jw friends

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

Hi. Joelbear brought up a point about something on the sex forum that i've been thinking about for a while, and i'm wondering what the answer to my question is. Dunno if this should be on the relationships forum, but here it is anyways. Why is it such a no-no for kids like myself (i'm 16) to see sex, yet so acceptable for us to see violent movies? I personally believe violent movies have a much more horrid affect on kids my age and younger, but sex is so taboo. Please, somebody explain to me.

"No cool quote yet. but i'll think of one soon."

• Xena
    Xena

Good questions....guess they figure you are more likely to go out and have sex then to murder someone....??

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

this board is ridiculously busy. just wondering if anybody else had thoughts on this.

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

any thoughts on my originally posted topic that is...

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

what about violent sex?

~smiling in a ruined age~

• anglise
    anglise

Have often wondered about this one.
    The borg isnt alone in its sex is out violence is in attitude.
    Just look at the pictures and descriptions in the WT and Aw about the canaanites and Assyrians, sacrifices and other violent treatment and yet any mention of sex and love always had to be alluded to or cloaked in almost incomprhensible terms ie song of solomon.
    I think that maybe it stems from religions wanting to have control over people.
    Especially in the UK with its still victorian history, it served to keep the underclasses down and in submission. The only thing they had that was pleasurable and free was classed as a sin and only to be used for procreation.
    I think that the only religion that openly approves of the joy of sex is the hindu's, doesnt the kama sutra come from those sources.
    I am sure others will correct me if am wrong!!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

d00d -

Why is it such a no-no for kids like myself (i'm 16) to see sex, yet so acceptable for us to see violent movies?

I think that one practical reason might be that if you see sexual activity, you're going to want a piece of the action, and there could be negative consequences, either emotional ("she belongs to ME!") or physical ("Here's your kid - get a job!") that can have a devastating effect on your life.

If you watch violence, it is likely that any inclination you feel to go get a piece of that action will be offset by your sense of self-preservation, so you WON'T do it.

Stated another way,

In the case of sex, your normal drives will push you toward it and there will be few if any alarms going off in your head telling you to stop, and (one would hope) the object of your attention will also be encouraging you to "get it on." You both could get caught up in something that could lead to your harm.

In the case of violence, the object of your attention will be trying to preserve his own hide, and when you get your nose splattered across your face, your own sense of self-preservation will tell you to STOP.

ALWAYS take personal responsibility for preventing unwanted pregnancies!

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

What about violent sex?

• Bgurltryal
    Bgurltryal

It's not like this everywhere. When i lived in Norway sex wasn't at all taboo. You go to the Frogner park(e very pretty park with many sculptures) in the summer time and there are women sun bathing topless. Nudity is shown on TV.

I really think it has to do with the religious history of the country you live in. The values places upon a country stem from it's religious roots.

Now why different religions view sex differently is a whole new discusion.

• Seeker
    Seeker

This is not a universal phenomenon, but only in America and a few other places that think like it. Americans freak out over sex, and so the culture states that sex is bad. Meanwhile, America glorifies violence in its culture, so violence is good.

In Scandinavia, they are much more relaxed about sex and nudity, and children there are far more exposed to sexual ideas. As would be expected, their teen pregnancy rate is considerably lower than in America. This makes perfect sense: if you treat sex as the normal part of life that it is, instead of creating some awful Christian condemnation of the subject, children grow up viewing it as anything else. Forbidden fruit, and all that.

So as to your question, the reason sex is considered bad for teens in this country is because of the puritanical culture that formed America. In other countries, it's not this way to the extent it is here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit