What Are Your Special Interests?

by R.F. 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

swettface . . you're dangerous . .

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

R.F. . . music was a large part of my way out of the collective.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I play the piano. Been playing since I was 5 years old. I'm not nearly as talented as Farkel though. I wish he'd post some more of his music.

• R.F.
    R.F.
    I play the piano. Been playing since I was 5 years old. I'm not nearly as talented as Farkel though. I wish he'd post some more of his music.

That's awesome.

And I heard that Farkel was an excellent piano player. I must hear this.

• liquidsky
  • BrentR
    BrentR

I like forging orange hot steel and iron. It is the only artistic/creative outlet I have had any success at. Blacksmithing transports me back to over 2000 yrs ago and gives me a deep appreciation of how valuable iron tools and products were. Hopefully I am in some small way keeping an ancient art/craft alive so people can see first hand how a knife, sword or any other iron product was made then compared to now.

I still have all of the basic modern machining tools in my shop but there is something very primal and ancestral about shaping iron with nothing more then a hammer, flame and anvil. It's mostly a male dominated craft but quite a few woman have demonstrated some amazing creativity and skills. They also learn it much faster because they tend to approach it with finesse vs just brute strength.

Besides where are you going to buy an iron champagne flute?

alt

Or a Nordic bearded battle axe made from 160 year old wrought iron?

alt

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

brentr, Last year I went to a historic community that had a blacksmith shop. I spent the whole afternoon (5 plus hrs) there barraging the smithy with questions etc. It was awesome. I learned alot about metallurgy and the history of welding!! Mrs LoB wasn't happy that I spent the afternoon in the smithy though . .

So many interests and only one life . . sigh

• BrentR
    BrentR

All of the smiths I hang around with have a very deep passion for preserving the craft and are more then willing to teach and pass it on to anyone else that may find it interesting. It's also fairly easy and cheap to learn which keeps the frustration level down and the interest up.

It is also a full body workout with immediate gratification as a side benefit. I can hike all day with a 35 Lbs pack but I am wiped out after two hrs of forging.

My shop is open to anyone that wants stop by and ask questions or mash some iron. The beer is cold and the forge is hot.

• R.F.
    R.F.

You guys are making blacksmithing look interesting. Perhaps this is something else I should possibly look into???

And thank you for the link liquidsky. As with the other link from earlier, i'll have to check it out a little later when my computer is acting funky.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    R.F. . . music was a large part of my way out of the collective.

Mine as well. Cream was a big influence when I was first learning to play; I cursed Jack Bruce many times trying to nick his bass riffs. I could still pickup and play White Room today without a listen I'm sure, it's permanently etched into me brain. The band I'm in now covers Strange Brew. Badge, Tales of Brave Ulysses, Spoonful were favs too. Awesome band. Of course, John Paul Jones and the late John Entwistle were early influences too, as well as some of McCartney's tasty riffs. Good times,.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit