Revelation weekly Book study review

by still_in74 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

It's their power game to play, just like so many other men who want the seat of power, and this is absolutely why there are so many Christan religions that are

functioning today, so many men want that golden ring for themselves, but look at the problems arises from this.

Self promotion is preservation

• Robert222
    Robert222

JWs have made all their great proclamations to themselves and people sitting in living rooms across the country. These judgments against the Catholic church have resulted in nothing. No one has paid any attention, or even knows about these JW judgments. They are great in their own mind. Whenever you look at real history books about government are the JWs ever listed at all as having any impact?? Not that I know of. I guess I can sit in someone's house for a book study and proclaim judgment against anything I want, does it matter? Does it impact anyone except those poor souls trapped in the book study? No.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

This particular study really amazed me cecause of the updates in doctrine since this book was originally released. I remember thinking what a stretch the stinging locusts were on the original go around. And I was still an ever so smug JW back then.

They really tried hard in bending scripture into assemblies and such that occured after 1914.

• oompa
    oompa

Awesome Stillin74! I know talent when I see it. So much so obviously unprovable.

keep up the good work....oompa

• M.J.
    M.J.

Thanks for doing this! This pub is easier to lampoon than even the WT study. I'll keep checking back!

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

WHEN DID THE FIRST TRUMPET BLOW?

at the second historic gathering of God’s people at Cedar Point, Ohio, September 10, 1922

DOH!!

• Scotty
    Scotty

I can sympathise with you, Maddie. As one who's spent a year and a half on bible studies. (which I find interesting, but little more than that). I'm being told I should try to get to know Jehovah closer but I can't feel anything towards him at all. Jesus, yes, Jehovah, very difficult as they tell me I should not picture him in my mind as a human entity. Well, what is he then? A cloud of fire, an electrical charge, what? Apparently no human can view his face without dying. Why's that if he made us in his image? I've also been to quite a few Revelation classes and like you I don't answer up because I don't believe Jehovah could be so cruel as he is in their interpretation of Revelation. I asked an elder this question? "Could you really stand by and watch your relatives and neighbours being destroyed in front of your eyes, maybe your parents, your siblings, whilst you believe you'll be rewarded with everlasting life? Just because they didn't follow your beliefs?" After a long winded reply I think in the end he meant "yes", he could because Jehovah decides, not him. I'd rather have no eternal life than go through this. I can't picture the meek, mild, loving Jesus, arriving on horseback and destroying all the bad infidels. Can anyone imagine a God of love doing that? Why not just snap his fingers and they all disappear without any suffering or pain. I asked what would happen to Ghandi and Mother Theresa? Just because they might be from the wrong religions are they rejected, despite all their wonderful deeds? The reply was that Jehovah knows and decides, no one else. So one minute they tell me all non JW's will be doomed to the grave, next they're telling me Jehovah might make exceptions. I asked if Hitler will be resurrected at the day of judgement and was told yes, we mortals can't decide whether he should live eternally or not, only Jehovah can. All who have died will be resurrected and for all we know Hitler might have suffered from insanity. That elder wasn't joking? If I'm being honest, I'm finding it interesting to learn more about the JW's and their beliefs, but the blood issue and my not allowed to have my favourite breakfast item, black pudding, or the famous Scottish haggis, just because there's blood in it. I made the point that all raw meat has blood in it and it's just the cooking that changes the colour from red to brown. It doesn't disappear, it's there in all meat, and if their beliefs are right they should all be vegans. I was told, no, the red colouring in meat consists of meat juices (are meat juices not partly made up of blood?). They allow JW's to have transfusions of their own blood. Is this not cheating? It's still a transfusion. I kinda agree blood transfusions should only be used in extreme emergencies, but as one whose life was saved on more than one occaasion by transfusions I would find it hard to go along with the blood issue. A senior elder admitted to me that he doesn't know what he'd do if his daughters were in an accident and the doctor said a transfusion is essential to save her. Then there's the problem with their kids. They don't allow them to play in the street in case they make friends with the wrong kind. I know of one wee boy who's in the house all the time except for when he's at school and going from door to door. he plays table tennis and things with his parents. Some childhood! Their families, I was told, take them on outings and trips with other JW kids. I don't see this as a healthy way to encourage your kids to become street wise, in fact it surely makes them lacking in social skills. I also made a point about the wine and bread at the commemoration night for Jesus. What if some lunatic appeared off the street and drank the wine and ate the bread? Would that make them one of the 144,001? They tell me that those that are chosen will know, only them and nobody else. So who can be positive that the lunatic who believed he was one of the chosen was not one? The latest thing was an attempt to make me see that if I became a Witness I'd have to withdraw from my present circle of friends and join the merry band of brothers and sisters who make up the congregation. There would be nothing wrong with me being with my old friends, could even have a couple of beers with them, but nothing any closer. The trouble is I can't see me with JW's, limiting myself to a couple of wines. Those I've met I find interesting and very nice, polite people, but certainly none that I would want as a friend. I have very little in common with any of them. Sorry for going on, Maddie, but I'd guess you're having similar experiences. LOL!

• Scotty
    Scotty

Does anyone know why my post appeared as one paragraph as that wasn't the way I typed it?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Leolaia helped me put the book of revelation in context with it's time. [Edited to add: Woohoo! I found the link]

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/134764/1.ashx/Symbolism+in+Revelation+Points+to+the+Watchtower+-+Leolaia+HELP

The Watchtower "study" on the other hand, is written very much as if a society writer has a book of symbiology open in his lap, as he randomly interprets each line.

A pet peeve of mine is their random interpretation of "literal" and "figurative" throughout the book. Never mention arbitrarily deciding who is talking (Jehovah/Angel/Jesus).

• M.J.
    M.J.

jgnat, nice thread. But for some reason I can't bring up pages 2 or 3.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit