Nebraska state senator sues God

by erynw 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• erynw
    erynw

By NATE JENKINS, Associated Press Writer
    50 minutes ago

LINCOLN, Neb. - The defendant in a state senator's lawsuit is accused of causing untold death and horror and threatening to cause more still. He can be sued in Douglas County, the legislator claims, because He's everywhere.

State Sen. Ernie Chambers sued God last week. Angered by another lawsuit he considers frivolous, Chambers says he's trying to make the point that anybody can file a lawsuit against anybody.

Chambers says in his lawsuit that God has made terroristic threats against the senator and his constituents, inspired fear and caused "widespread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth's inhabitants."

The Omaha senator, who skips morning prayers during the legislative session and often criticizes Christians, also says God has caused "fearsome floods ... horrendous hurricanes, terrifying tornadoes."

He's seeking a permanent injunction against the Almighty.

Chambers said the lawsuit was triggered by a federal suit filed against a judge who recently barred words such as "rape" and "victim" from a sexual assault trial.

The accuser in the criminal case, Tory Bowen, sued Lancaster District Judge Jeffre Cheuvront, claiming that he violated her free speech rights.

Chambers said Bowen's lawsuit is inappropriate because the Nebraska Supreme Court has already considered the case and federal courts follow the decisions of state supreme courts on state matters.

"This lawsuit having been filed and being of such questionable merit creates a circumstance where my lawsuit is appropriately filed," Chambers said. "People might call it frivolous but if they read it they'll see there are very serious issues I have raised."

U.S. District Judge Richard Kopf, in an order last week, expressed doubts about whether Bowen's lawsuit "has any legal basis whatsoever" and said sanctions may be imposed against Bowen and her attorneys if they fail to show cause for the lawsuit.

The Associated Press usually does not identify accusers in sex-assault cases, but Bowen has allowed her name to be used publicly because of the issue over the judge's language restrictions.

Cheuvront declared a mistrial in the sexual assault trial in July, saying pretrial publicity made it impossible to gather enough impartial jurors.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Good luck serving a subpoena.

• Honesty
    Honesty

That senator dude is as whacked out as some of the JW's I've known.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Subpoena God? hehehehe haha

Latin for "under penalty." What penalty will God get for not showing up?

Reminds me of this passage in the Scriptures, which I always thought was hilarious:

1 Kings 18:21-29, 36-39

• poppers
    poppers

Maybe he can get Jonnie Cochran to be his lawyer. Don't let him get into any Ford Broncos, though.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

I hope the Senator wins. Geez...I hope God doesn't have any credible witnesses on His side.

Rabbit

• metaspy
    metaspy

Mad Tiger - the senator already said God is everywhere.
    Therefore, God cannot be penalized for not showing up, he is there.
    I wonder if they will penalize him for not being visible...

• AntiPode
    AntiPode

The whole point was to get people to think, using reasoning and intuition: for instance, if a Witness tells you God doesn't cause death and destruction but allows it, he is guilty by association because he could do something about it but doesn't (he actually set it up). If they tell you God is above the law, then our laws (and his) can't be based on anyone's morality.

And death threats (Armageddon) are treated as a crime in our society. How come he gets away with it?

Is he getting away with murder?

And so on...all to prompt Christians to think about the way this God they serve says one thing and does another.

V

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

UPDATE: GOD GETS A LAWYER !

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070922/ap_on_fe_st/odd_suing_god;_ylt=AruVj41f2Qs7MKuAHLPfkDwZ.3QA

Yahoo! News Back to Story - Help

'God' gets an attorney in lawsuit

ANNA JO BRATTON, Associated Press Writer Fri Sep 21, 10:46 PM ET

The mystery of one response to a lawsuit against God has been solved. Eric Perkins, an attorney in Corpus Christi, Texas, said Friday he filed a response to the lawsuit from Nebraska State Sen. Ernie Chambers. "It's kind of a turn on 'What would Jesus do?'" Perkins said. "I thought to myself, "what would God say?"

"Defendant denies that this or any court has jurisdiction ... over Him any more than the court has jurisdiction over the wind or rain, sunlight or darkness," according to Perkins' response.

As for Chambers' contention that God made terroristic threats, inspired fear and caused "widespread death, destruction and terrorization," Perkins wrote that God "contends that any harm or injury suffered is a direct and proximate result of mankind ignoring obvious warnings."

Perkins, who said he is a Christian, faxed one of at least two responses to Chambers' lawsuit. He said while he hopes the lawsuit was just a stunt by Chambers, "maybe his timing has something to do with world affairs. I'd hate to be that person who sat back and did nothing."

The problem of serving God a summons could land the lawsuit in the earthly scrap heap of failed legal actions.

But whether the issue goes before a judge may largely depend on how hard Chambers pushes the issue. The senator isn't asking that notice be served to God, but says in his lawsuit that if he doesn't get a summary judgment in the case, he wants a hearing — "if the court deems such a hearing not to be a futile act."

Chambers, a self-proclaimed agnostic, said he's trying to makes the point that anybody can sue anybody. He said his filing was triggered by a federal lawsuit he considers frivolous.

It's still not clear where a second response from "God" came from. There was no contact information on the filing, which turned up on the counter at the Douglas County Court office, although St. Michael the Archangel is listed as a witness.

Attempts to reach Chambers by phone Friday were unsuccessful.

___

On the Net:

Douglas County District Court: http://www.dc4dc.com/index.php

Copyright © 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

• erynw

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit