Time to clean house, and move those bound volumes.... E-Bay?

by xjw_b12 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Hi all, it's been a while. My father is planning to sell his home in Abbotsford, and my sister has been helping him clean out the library. Dad has quite a few bound volumes he no longer has use for, and was going to donate them to a local University, but I thought they might be worth something on the open market.

I was thinking of listing them on E-Bay, but I've never listed anything on there before, and was wondering how difficult it was to sell, as I don't have a lot of time on my hands to monitor the site.

Anyways this is what he has.......

AWAKE.........1948,49,50,52 &(1955 x 2).......1956, 57,58, 59, 61, 62, 63 (1964 x2) 1965, 66,67, 68,69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 78, 79, 80, 1981, (1982 x2) 1983, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93............ Index for Awake Volumes........each year 1930-1985.......3 copies of 1985 Index for Watchtower Voulmes 1930-1961 1961-1965 1966-1970 1971-1975 1976-1980 WATCHTOWER VOLUMES.............1950, 51, (1952 x2).........1954, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 (1962x2)....(1963 x 2)...........1964.....(1965x2).....1966 x2...............1967, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 1982 x2.........1983, 84, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, Any suggestions?

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

kjw_b12:

Any suggestions?

If you had asked this question a year ago, I would have taken a ton of those off your hands. My library goes back quite a ways and I would have loved to have some of the really old stuff (40s and 50s)...and fill in some gaps I have in the 60s.... would have..being the operative phrase.

I will likely be getting rid of my collection one of these days soon too.. They take up almost 2 full size bookcases (4'x6')....I just leave them because I have the room and don't feel like lugging them anywhere. This topic has come up before and there were a few suggestions....burning was one.... I suggested recycling, but you have to take the covers off first I think.....just please dont throw them in a landfill....

Ebay is an option, but I think there is a glut of those.... There used to be a website called Bethel Antiquities online, but I can no longer find it...Free Minds might have a link or an idea what to do with them. Keep bttt this topic every month or so, you might get a hit...

Snakes ()

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

See if you can find the sept 15 1982 Watchtower magazine. There is only crappy scans of this on the internet. This is the one where they stole the johnnie walker ad. go to this link for more info http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/103779/1.ashx

It would be nice to get a proper scan of this mags front cover (please save it as a TIFF you scanner gods)

• JCanon
    JCanon

The WT CD Library is a very hot item for outsiders. They were selling at E-bay for as high as $65 at one point. I see a few going up for auction recently but haven't kept up. Of course, the WTS explicitly forbids the distribution of the CD Rom outisde of the WTS.

If you are going to sell on E-Bay what I suggest is that you go there first and see who else is selling what. That will give you a good indicator what is being offered and what is selling. I think the older Awake! are rare and not included on the CD ROM for some reason.

I also noticed that some sell an entire collection in one block. That saves on shipping also. So I wouldn't split them up at first if I were you. Plus I think if they are not in a hurry to get them, you can get a fairly cheap book and informational materials postal rage, but you'll have to check it out. In the US there is a bulk rate box for around $8 that I believe you can fit perhaps up to 4 bound volumes in.

My other suggestion would be to check with some of the people who offer the materials, like used book Christian book stores. But don't expect too much. The CD Rom makes the volumes obsolete with the exception that you don't get the graphics with the CD ROM.

The upside is that some newer brothers who are really studious and want to build up their library or may want them, so I'd defiitely try putting them on E-Bay for a while to see what happens.

Have fun!

JC

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

They are a pain in Dora to get rid of, if you have lots of them and put them in a bunch of boxs you end up with 1,4000 pounds like I did. Most of the Witness's don't want them cause they say ah its old light, think of how much money I would have now if I could get back the dough I paid for all them darn things. I wish I would have got MAD magazine rather all these ugly brown bound books, they could not even provide a nice color to them just ugly brown, no class at all.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

xjw_b12:

You have a [ pm ]

Cheers! Atlantis-

• FlipThis
    FlipThis

book burning?

• Grammy
    Grammy

I had all the bound volumes Watchtower and Awake from 1950 through 1998 and put them in the trash...I didn't think of the fact they would be going into a landfill I just wanted them out of my house.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I made mention of you recently in a post and here you are. magic

• White Dove
    White Dove

E-bay?! Who would buy them? I chucked all of mine in the dumpster.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit