Jw's and prostitutes refuse anti malaria spray in rwanda

by candidlynuts 32 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• jgnat
    jgnat
    There are no splinter groups of the "Jehovah`s Witness`s"..You are a "Pro-(Jehovah`s Witness)"..Or you are not!!...OUTLAW

Actually, it's already happened at least once. Remember, the continent of Africa is very, very far away from head office, and there are many, many disgruntled people. There's a strong anti-establishment bias in may places in Africa, due to horrid bungling by both the established Church (Christendom) and governments.

Why not have a local charismatic leader rise up, waving the Witness doctrine, and drum up his own following?

• Ade
    Ade

It's the usual JW stuff, Trust in God until you get sick.Then run to the doctors when you get Malaria!!!and say you did it for God, pretty odd really, God says i give you joy, the witnesses say "go get malaria" Its called convenience Faith i believe. All the best Ade

• Scully
    Scully

There was a similar incident reported in Christopher Hitchens' book God Is Not Great - How Religion Poisons Everything discusses the efforts in Bengal to eradicate polio by offering the vaccine to all children.

The people of Bengal, and particularly the women, were enthusiastic and inventive. I remember one committee meeting, where staunch Calcutta hostesses pland without embarrassment to team up with the city's prostitutes to spread the word into the farthest corners of society. Bring your children, no questions asked, and let them swallow two drops of fluid. Someone knew of an elephant a few miles out of town that might be hired to lead a publicity parade. Everything was going well: in one of the poorest cities and states of the world there was going to be a new start. And then we began to hear of a rumor. In some outlying places, Muslim die-hards were spreading the story that the droplets were a plot. If you took the sinister Western medicine, you would be stricken by impotence and diarrhea (a forbidding and depressing combination).

This was a problem, because the drops have to be administered twice - the second time as a booster and confirmation of immunity - and because it takes only a few uninoculated people to allow the disease to survive and revive, and to spread back through contact and the water supply. As with smallpox, eradication must be utter and complete. I wondered as I left Calcutta if West Bengal would manage to meet the deadline and declare itself polio-free by the end of the next year. That would leave only pockets of Afghanistan and one or two other inaccessible regions, already devastated by religious fervor, before we could say that another ancient tyranny of illness had been decisively overthrown.

In 2005 I learned of one outcome. In northern Nigeria - a country that had previously checked in as provisionally polio-free - a group of Islamic religious figures issued a ruling, or fatwa, that declared the polio vaccine to be a conspiracy by the United States (and, amazingly, the United Nations) against the Muslim faith. The drops were designed, said these mullahs, to sterilize the true believers. Their intention and effect was genocidal. Nobody was to swallow them, or administer them to infants. Within months, polio was back, and not just in northern Nigeria. Nigerian travelers and pilgrims had already taken it as far as Mecca, and spread it back to several other polio-free countries, including three African ones and also faraway Yemen. The entire boulder would have to be rolled back right up to the top of the mountain. (pages 44, 45)

I guess Rwandans have one more reason to put up No Jehovah's Witnesses signs on their doors.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit