Fifty years ago today

by JeffT 13 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

My Dad published the first paper on bone marrow transplants. "Intravenous Infusion of bone marrow in patients receiving radiation and chemotherapy." (Catchy title!) At the time nobody thought it could be done, today there are about 50,000 transplant survivors worldwide; all of whom would be dead without the treatment for diseases like leukemia.

More here: http://www.fhcrc.org/research/nobel/thomas/dondottie.html

And no it didn't go over very well when I joined a cult opposed to blood transfusions.

• poppers
    poppers

I only wish my sister-in-law could have gotten a transplant, but no match could be found for her. Please register as donor.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Poppers, good point. Bone marrow transplants require an exact match, the more people in the pool of potential donors the more likely they are to find one.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister.

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Nothing is wrong with blood transfusions.

"Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it" Proverbs 3:27

What is wrong is if you eat it....cannibalism.

And whatsoever man there be of the house of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, that eateth any manner of blood; I will even set my face against that soul that eateth blood, and will cut him off from among his people" Leviticus 17:10

"...Bring me hither every man his ox, and every man his sheep, and slay them here, and eat; and sin not against the LORD in eating with the blood..." I Samuel 14:34

The medical team has to ensure that the blood for transfusion is safe from any impurities and that the blood type is compatible.

"For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer" I Tim. 4:4-5

"...I will ask you one thing; Is it lawful on the sabbath days to do good, or to do evil? to save life, or to destroy it?" Luke 6:9

Do you accept the truth from the Bible???

hibiscusfire

• PEC
    PEC

No, I have no use for invisible friends.

Philip

• Tara
    Tara

Congratulations to your Dad (and Mom). My mother died of acute myeologenous leukemia. She was only 65. She could not have a bone marrow transplant because she was over 50. That rule sucks!

• oompa
    oompa

More here: http://www.fhcrc.org/research/nobel/thomas/dondottie.html

This link states: "He and Dr. Joseph Murray, a longtime friend and pioneer"

JeffT, According to his link your dad (Dr. Thomas I assume) also won the Nobel Prize! Awesome! However, it also says he was a pioneer. How did he get in his time and be a doctor too?

something is fishy here.....oompa

• JeffT
    JeffT

Oompa: that's bad. I've always suspected that when a dub says something like "I'm pioneering this month" at work, the normal people have images of him running around in a 'coonskin hat carrying a gun named "Betsy"

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

No, I have no use for invisible friends.

Philip

Do agree or disagree with blood transfusions?

If you agree, then you are actually agreeing with the bible.

hibiscusfire

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Wow Jeff - that is an amazing 'mark' to make on the world.

Thank God/Goddess/the stars/whoever/whatever that people like your dad and his colleague don't just give up when the 'experts' say it'll never work!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit