Armish vs. JW

by Princess Daisy Boo 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

Hi JWD'ers

I watched an episode of Greys Anatomy last night, which featured a 23 year old girl, who had come from an Armish family, and was dying of cancer. She and a friend had left home at 16 and now that she was dying she wanted to go home to her family. She could still talk to her family because she had not been baptised and therefore not shunned and her friend was shunned because she left after she was baptised.

Now, as a non american, I don't know a whole lot about the Armish, except what I have seen on movies and TV, but the similarity between the JWs and the Armish or Puritans struck me last night. Obviously, the JW's embrace technology to an extent (except for those pesky non JW websites) but I am curious to find out from you Americans about the perceptions, similarities and differences that exist between these sects.

Regards

Princess DB

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Check out the ex-amish website.

http://amishdeception.com/phpbb/index.php

Here's an example of a post:

Okay just got the word that a Belmont County Ohio man was arrested on one charge of sexual assault (on his daughter) bond is set at $200,000. I am sure David and or Fran can fill us in more on this topic....

Karrie Herschberger

Here is what I have found so far :

Sheriff: Amish Community Takes Punishment Into Own Hands

POSTED: 6:52 pm EST January 24, 2007
    UPDATED: 10:09 pm EST January 24, 2007

SOMERTON, Ohio -- Belmont County sheriff’s deputies arrested 55-year old Jacob Weaver on a charge he raped a child under the age of 13.

Investigators said the abuse happened in Somerton over the past few years. They became aware of the alleged abuse after an anonymous tip.

County Sheriff Fred Thompson said before his department heard about the possible rape, the Amish community where Weaver lives took it upon themselves to punish him. Thompson won’t elaborate on what the punishment was.

and another:

i,m not sure how to put this so will just do my best and leave it at that i stoped at my amish sister anna this last weekend she is the one that is married to Daniel M Swartzentruber in tenn. most of you know the other problems they have had a dull blade would have been nice while i was there but i kept my self in control but i digress from the original reason of this post as some of you know i have diabetes so i know it is nothing to mess around with well my sister also has diabetes and because of all the problems they have had finanical and otherwise other amish have control of there money but that is not really my complaint my concern is that they will not let hare get the drugs the doctor precribed for her to help control her sugar they say she needs to use herbs and natural drugs first now i have nothing against herbs and natural drugs but to be safe in this case they need to be used in conjunction with whatever it takes to control the diabetes now what really gets me ticked is they give daniel money for his pipe tobacco but know money for her diabetic drugs i wonder is this another way to punish har she has threaten to leave the amish but she has children to worry about also just found out from another sister Daniel may be back to his old tricks not neccesserily abuseing the children but mistreating my sister waiting on conformation on that
    well i have rambled long enough
    Sam H

They are so much like JW's in the controlling of members and the punishment if one leaves.

lisa

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Not long ago I was wondering the same thing and spent some time on an exAmish discusison board.

I was asking about shunning. And it was explained that when a person leaves or is excommunicated association and conversation is still permitted, what is not permitted is dining together. Also, because conversations will revolve heavily around trying to get one to return to the congregation, association is limited.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
  • Scully
    Scully

What was appalling to me was a WT article about Mennonites a couple of years back, where the practice of shunning was described as "cruel", 'oppressive' and creating a situation where followers "live in dread of being expelled from the community - a terrible prospect for one who has never experienced life outside"!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/117799/1.ashx

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/96683/1.ashx

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/97302/1.ashx

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Yeah Scully, sounds like the pot calling the kettle,black !!

• freyd
    freyd

Amish no mustaches allowed - jw's no beards

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Correct me if I am wrong - but I live in the heart of Amish country and have known many of these folks over time.

I believe they only shun for a specified period of time then resume association. Of course, most AMish who leave the flock to be with the 'English' find themselves away from the family - and with no phones or internet, communications might be more difficult to begin with. But I know they shun - I thought it was only for a couple years before they allowed contact.

Jeff

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

l can't believe the WT would write something like that about another sect when they themselves do the same thing! As always, so bloody hypocritical!

I definitly must do some researching!

• oompa
    oompa

I was really hoping this was about an already arranged wrestling match! I would like a Hasidic Jew and a Nun in the ring as well.

PPV would be good....piledriver...oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit