Why is the "Cross" an issue?

by Doug Mason 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• greendawn
    greendawn

It was part of the policy of demonising Christendom in order to lure away members from it and into the dub organisation and also to create a sense of isolation from the rest of the world for those that are already in.

Otherwise there is nothing wrong with the cross or the way it is used by the church. Also it reminds me that to the unholy everything is unholy. The cross is just an innocent tradition.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I'm not to sure if it's been mentioned yet but wasn't there a WTS doctrine that implies that the followers should not bow down to any graven images and the cross

is seen just as that. And of course their own personal belief that Christ did not die on a cross but a single steak.

• TooBad TooSad
    TooBad TooSad

I have bee a Witness for over 50 years and I have come to believe that Jesus did die on

a cross. My wife says that Jesus died on a stake because the cross had a pagan origin.

I said "who do you think the Romans were? They were pagans and they used crosses."

Personally it should not make any difference on what Jesus died on. The important thing

is that he did die for mankind.

• oompa
    oompa

I want to go to Isreal and get a piece of really old wood. Can I sell splinters of it on the web, and say it "may be" part of Jesus Cross?

big market.....oompa

• 5go
    5go

Another way he could of been executed would of been by hanging which I think a scripture could support hanging. It would not be out of the question but not likey form of execution at that time and place.

By the way for those that want to cling to the cross as a primary Roman means of execution the word fascism comes for the Roman Fasces. Which included a tool for decapitating some one which symbolized the ability of the state to take ones life through decapitation or other means.

The other means could of been a cross, or stake though not likely in Palistine because of the shortage of wood. Also when such a device was employed it was typicaly set of fire, or in a pit of lions. Slow deaths were not that entertaining to the people of Roman Empire they normaly wanted carnage and screaming not a slow moaning death.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

The evangels suggest that Jesus was crucified because they borrow heavily from Homer's writings. See The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark (by Dennis R. MacDonald; Yale University, 2000)

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233
    wood was in short supply

I don't mean to sound ignorant here, but I am loooking out of my living room window and am seeing a crapload of wood. I'm was not aware of wood shortages in Jerusalem during the time of Jesus' supposed existance. Could you please tell me where you found this info?

• 5go
    5go
    I don't mean to sound ignorant here, but I am loooking out of my living room window and am seeing a crapload of wood. I'm was not aware of wood shortages in Jerusalem during the time of Jesus' supposed existance. Could you please tell me where you found this info?

I would think so seeing as you are in the USA. Also just because some thing is there today does not mean it was there back in the supposed time of the christ. Also not all trees make good crafting wood.

Jerusalem is in a mountainous dessert region tons of palm and olive trees though few trees good for building. Wood was imported for most all building purposes in this region. In fact the bible eludes to this when it says Solomon brought in wood from Lebenon to build his temple, because well there is not any good trees to build things from in Israel. The only place in all the middle east to get good building wood is Lebenon and it's cedar trees. Outside of Lebebnon and your going to northern asia for your suitable crafting wood.

So you see any good building or crafting wood would be rather expensive ( though maybe not extremly rare ) in Jerusalem which is why carpentry was a good profession to be in you were probaly making good money.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

Thanks 5go. I was confused cause, #1 I am not a carpenter and know nothing about it, and #2 grew up as a JW and the bible wasn't what we studied, it was the WT publications.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit