Spinal steroid injections.

by BrentR 11 Replies latest watchtower medical

• BrentR
    BrentR

Has anyone had multiple spinal steroid injections? I am going to be having the second one in five months and I have read up on the side affects long and short term. Has anyone had longterm side affects yet? How soon did you get them? Did the treatment eventaully stop working? I am in between a rock and a hard place now. The disk is not bad enough to warrant surgery yet but it not completely healthy either.

The last one gave me tremendous relief and I was able to mountain bike, hike, cut firewood and alot of other physically challenging tasks. But I had a "blowout" last tues. so I am scheduled for another one. If it turns out I will need one every 5-6 months from here on out that will suck completely.

• BrentR
    BrentR

Don't make me do my Ben Stein impersonation from Ferris Bueller.

Anyone? Anyone?...............Anyone?

• zeroday
    zeroday
    Has anyone had multiple spinal steroid injections?

My brother had those for years. After a while they don't work for long. He had to have them every 3 to 4 months...

• BrentR
    BrentR

Has he had any bone loss or compromised immunities?

• HAL9000
    HAL9000

I have not had these, but my wife has had 3 CT guided injections (Aug 2006, Jan 07 and June 07) for Spondylolisthesis with associated stenosis at L4-5 L5-S1 arising from degenerative osteoarthritis. In the course of these injections she has not had any of the more apparent problems (ie infection which is apparently 1:20000 initially but with increasing risk with each injection). She has suffered intense pain for 1-2 weeks post injection with improvements being gained 3 weeks to 1 month later. For the first two treatments she was able to resume gardening (to some extent) and to limit her analgesia to Paracetamol/Codeine 500mg/15mg.

Coming up to the most recent injection (June), the pain increased rapidly necessitating analgesia escalating to 2xParacetamol/Codeine 500mg/30mg 4 hourly then to Oxycodone (5 mg 2x daily). After the last injection, she spent 2 weeks in bed with no improvement after 1 month - now on Oxycodone or SR morphine (which is not a good place to be)

Comments at this point from the rheumatologist: injections can provide relief for many - but 3 in 12 months is too much & inviting complications, particularly with the (complete) lack of efficacy seen in the latest treatment. It is appears that the preferred "conventional treatment" ends with the injections and that these are continued until no benefit is obtained. The more radical approach (surgery) is only considered when the injections fail.

The issues of infection appear to be of paramount concern in this procedure as many doctors in general practice fail to realise what is going on. If one has any symptoms of infection urgent informed treatment is recommended.

Not sure if this helps, but reflects my wife's experiences to date. Next stop the neurosurgeon.

h9k

• BrentR
    BrentR

Thanks for the info. I got great relief from the last one but if I can only get 5 months out of one I will be getting several more it appears.

I hope she gets improvement real soon. Pain eats you away and takes away your will to live.

• HAL9000
    HAL9000

You are right about the effect of pain - she wants to sleep 24 hours/day & also suffers badly from the many side effects of opiate analgesics.

I suppose that the positive side of this treatment was the extra 12 months gained before the need to seriously consider surgery was needed. I have had 1 family member go through the surgical option 20 years ago with great results (built 2 houses since in his retirement) and know of 1 work c olleague 's husband who had the operation (in Canada) to rectify 2 "crushed discs" with equally good results - he was incapable of walking prior to the operation. Not much consolation, I know, but at least it looks like the treatments are improving in effectiveness.

h9k

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I've been getting them for 4 years with no side effects so far. I just got one last week...it has been almost a year since the last one. Here's the thing...you have to change your activities. I can't participate in most of the sports that I used to enjoy. I walk daily and do some stretching exercises. Surgery is really not an option for me as there is a very strong probability that I would end up paralyzed. If you have just one disc involved, surgery may be the way to go. Check out the dr. and make sure he's one of the best in the country!!! Of all the people I've known that have had surgery, it's about 50/50 on the outcome. Some do great, others don't.

Feeling Your Pain...

Swalker

• BrentR
    BrentR

I have been hardcore at doing the McKenzie extensions, mountain biking and even lost 18 lbs. But the ortho doc did not give me any promises that doing all that would prevent any further problems. I am in that horrible "dead zone" now, not bad enough for disk replacement but bad enough to completely screw up my life. There is a huge stack of firewood next to my shop that is only half split and still needs to be hauled and stacked. The last time I checked outside my front door I did not see any line of people volunteering to do it for me. Being self employed I do not have any state industrail insurance either. My disability ins. only kicks in after I have been disabled for 90 days. That is a long time to have no income. Scary stuff.

• tula
    tula

have you considered laser surgery?

also, beware of a steroid called kennalog. Stupid dr. injected my friend with it as IV instead of site injection. baaad trip. (but it wasn't in spine)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit