Where is the Love?

by Sad emo 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I was on my way to work on the bus this morning and there was an elderly lady in the seat in front of me. Our buses aren't big - only 20 seaters and us Yorkshire folk are a chatty bunch, so quite often there's conversation between several passengers whether friends or strangers.

She started talking about how a few months back she'd been mugged and had her pension money stolen.

To try cheer her up, a friend took her out to play bingo - and she won about £200 ($380ish). She said how she'd given a small amount to each of her grankids - but it would seem that one of them was a little careless about who they told that their gran had some cash. A couple of days later, this poor lady was burgled - they weren't content to 'just' take the money, they beat her up as she lay in her bed. She still has scarring, probably permanent, under one of her eyes.

Both of these happened within the space of a week.

It made me so angry and sad. This lady will have worked most of her life - since age 14, probably in the textile mills - a dirty and dangerous job until relatively recently. She's lived through a war and hardship. Now has little to live on except the pittance they call a pension - and for what? To be abused by young thugs who think everything in this world is theirs for the taking.

The most poignant part of all this was that the radio was playing in the background and the song was 'Where is the Love?' by the Black Eyed Peas.

It has quite lengthy lyrics so I won't post them all here, just the verse that 'says it all':

I feel the weight of the world on my shoulder
    As I'm gettin' older, y'all, people gets colder
    Most of us only care about money makin'
    Selfishness got us followin' the wrong direction
    Wrong information always shown by the media
    Negative images is the main criteria
    Infecting the young minds faster than bacteria
    Kids wanna act like what they see in the cinema
    Yo', whatever happened to the values of humanity
    Whatever happened to the fairness in equality
    Instead in spreading love we spreading animosity
    Lack of understanding, leading lives away from unity
    That's the reason why sometimes I'm feelin' under
    That's the reason why sometimes I'm feelin' down
    There's no wonder why sometimes I'm feelin' under
    Gotta keep my faith alive til love is found
    Now ask yourself

Where is the love
    Where is the love
    Where is the love
    Where is the love

Father, father, father help us
    Send some guidance from above
    'Cause people got me, got me questionin'
    Where is the love (love)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJV9EMkv0u4

• lawrence
    lawrence

Yes man! I visited Jamaica 2 months ago and went up into the hill country where I met an 84 y.o. woman who recounted how she was heading down to Mandeville, when 2 men in a car told her to get in (she thought she was going to get a ride). They took her down a back road, robbed her of all her money, and because her eyesight is bad (couldn't identify them) they threw her out of the car on her head, She recuperated, but another piece of her good heart was ripped out by these worthless thugs.

• changeling
    changeling

Where, indeed!

changeling

• jgnat
    jgnat

The love is on the bus and the friends who surround her. The evil resides with a few young thugs. Who will be old themselves one day. Heaven help them then.

• flipper
    flipper

SAD EMO- What a sad story. There are definitely more than a few insensitive louts and criminals on this planet. Takes real cowards to pick on the elderly , let alone anyone. If you see her again on the bus, give her a rose from all of us , and yourself, or a cup of coffee. As Lawrence said just listening to an older person talk and tell their experience, can make their whole day shine and feel a bit better. In general in societies, older ones are ignored, it feels great to make their day better ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Tara
    Tara

Takes real cowards to pick on the elderly , let alone anyone

Amen to that!

• educ8self
    educ8self

The love has to be smarter to deal with the violence, some call it heart-wisdom. There's a tendancy for the mind to kind of function separately from the heart, which is how things like this can drag us down. Some are just more of one than the other, it may help to have a friend that's the opposite to help balance us out - and make the acts of love more effective.

• PEC
    PEC

When Barbie Doll and I get old, we will be packn'

Philip

• anewme
    anewme

What a rotten thing to happen to such a sweet old lady!

There is some sort of message here but what?

I think someone said that the boys behaved badly and cowardly, but the people on the bus were kind and considerate. Thats how it is. Two kinds in the world.

Naive people trust. Burned people wont anymore. Both see the world in black and white. People are all this or all that. Neither is correct.

Jesus taught us to pray to be delivered from evil. That is all you can do.

That and pack a gun.

Anewme

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

Got to fight back, or you well look like this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit