1935 and Annointed

by Justitia Themis 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I have some remodeling going on, and my home computer is down. My work computer will not allow me to add the search program for the CD-Rom. I need some help finding some quotes.

There is another poster, whom I really like, on another board who is asserting that the WTBTS never said a 1935 cut off day....that some people just took it that way.

I know there is some hard language in relatively recent publications saying the the "calling" as virtually ended. Will someone post that information for me? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Justicia

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

They will claim that the WTS never definitively said that 1935 was the cut-off. They will generally hit on the words "virtually", "seemingly", etc that precede the word closed to try to say the WTS NEVER said 1935 was defintely the cut off point.

Perhaps they should try this one on for size, the words of their own prez Freddy Franz:

** w99 2/1 19 Our Treasure in Earthen Vessels *** "No
    More Additions!" At a Gilead graduation in 1970,
    Frederick Franz, then vice-president of the Watch
    Tower Society, told the students of the possibility
    that they, who were all of the other sheep with
    earthly hopes, might baptize someone who might claim
    to be of the anointed remnant. Could this happen?
    Well, he explained that John the Baptist was of the
    other sheep, and he baptized Jesus and some of the
    apostles. (((((Then he went on to ask whether there
    still was a call for gathering in more of the remnant.
    "No, no more additions!" he said. "That call ended way
    back there in 1931-35!)))) There are no more
    additions. Who, then, are the few newly associated
    ones who are partaking of the Memorial emblems? If
    they are of the remnant, they are replacements! They
    are, not additions to the ranks of the anointed, but
    replacements for those who may have fallen away."

There we go, the prez said it in no ncertain terms there. No "virtually" or "just about" about it.

• tfjw
    tfjw

I was one of those "replacements" (or so I was lead to believe) and I was born in 1935. I heard it over and over again from elders when I was a child that 1935 was the last year for the "little flock" but that there would be those who fall away from the "little flock" and would be replaced with others who were "busy in Jehovah's theocratic society".

• heathen
    heathen

unbelievable quote . So then John the baptist was considered the other sheep or great crowd? no friggen way . I've never seen quotes like that before , jews before christ were not of the great crowd .

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The ones who say the WT never SAID there was a cut-off date are sort of correct.
    Their statements in the older information were worded carefully, according to the WT Library.
    I do believe you were correct so I imagine there was some re-wording of these books and
    magazines, with the worst being older than the library contains.

w96 8/15 pp.30-31QuestionsFromReaders***

The

reports for someyears show thatthenumberpartaking oftheMemorial emblems increasedslightly.Doesthissuggestthatmany new onesarebeinganointed withholyspirit?

There is good reason to believe that the number of 144,000 anointed Christians was complete decades ago.

At Acts 2:1-4, we read about the first ones in that limited group: "Now while the day of the festival of Pentecost was in progress they were all together at the same place, and suddenly there occurred from heaven a noise just like that of a rushing stiff breeze, and it filled the whole house in which they were sitting. And tongues as if of fire became visible to them and were distributed about, and one sat upon each one of them, and they all became filled with holy spirit and started to speak with different tongues, just as the spirit was granting them to make utterance."

After that, Jehovah selected others, and he anointed them with his holy spirit. Thousands were added in the very early years of Christianity. At the Memorial celebration in our time, the speaker often calls attention to the apostle Paul’s words at Romans 8:15-17, which mention that the anointed ‘receive a spirit of adoption as sons.’ Paul added that the holy spirit they receive ‘bears witness with their spirit, that they are God’s children, joint heirs with Christ.’ Those who truly have this spirit-anointing know it with certainty. It is not a mere wish or a reflection of an emotional and unrealistic view of themselves.

We understand that this heavenly calling continued down through the centuries, though during the so-called Dark Ages, there may have been times when the number of anointed ones were very few. With the reestablishment of true Christianity near the end of the last century, more were called and chosen. But it seems that in the mid-1930’s, the full number of the 144,000 was basically completed. Thus there began to appear a group of loyal Christians with the earthly hope. Jesus termed such "other sheep," who unite in worship with the anointed as one approved flock.—John 10:14-16.

The facts over the decades reflect both the completion of the calling of the anointed and Jehovah’s blessing on the growing "great crowd," who hope to survive "the great tribulation." (Revelation 7:9, 14) For example, at the Memorial celebration in 1935, attended by 63,146, those partaking of the emblems in evidence of their profession to be anointed numbered 52,465. Thirty years later, or in 1965, the attendance was 1,933,089, while the partakers decreased to 11,550. Moving 30 years closer, in 1995 the attendance jumped to 13,147,201, but only 8,645 partook of the bread and the wine. (1 Corinthians 11:23-26) Clearly, as the decades passed, the number of those professing to be of the remnant greatly decreased—some 52,400 in 1935; 11,500 in 1965; 8,600 in 1995. However, those with earthly hopes have been blessed, and their number has increased abundantly.

The most recent published report is for the year 1995, and it shows 28 more partakers than in the preceding year though the ratio of partakers to those attending did actually drop. On balance, that a few more chose to partake of the emblems is no cause for concern. Over the years some, even ones newly baptized, have suddenly begun to partake. In a number of cases, after a while they acknowledged that this was an error. Some have recognized that they partook as an emotional response to perhaps physical or mental strain. But they came to see that they really were not called to heavenly life. They asked for God’s merciful understanding. And they continue to serve him as fine, loyal Christians, having the hope of everlasting life on earth.

There is no need for any of us to be concerned if a person begins to partake of the emblems or ceases to do so. It really is not up to us whether someone actually has been anointed with holy spirit and called to heavenly life or not. Recall Jesus’ solid assurance: "I am the fine shepherd, and I know my sheep." Just as assuredly, Jehovah knows those whom he has chosen as spiritual sons. There is every reason to believe that the number of anointed ones will continue to decline as advanced age and unforeseen occurrences end their earthly lives. Yet, even as these truly anointed ones prove faithful till death, in line for the crown of life, the other sheep, who have washed their robes in the blood of the Lamb, can look forward to surviving the impending great tribulation.—2 Timothy 4:6-8; Revelation 2:10.

WTS says there is good reason to believe the number was complete decades ago, but some newer ones
    partook in error because they were crazy or couldn't be physically restrained.

The poster above is correct:

w99 2/1 p. 19 Our Treasure in Earthen Vessels***

[Box

on page 19]

"No

More Additions!"

At a Gilead graduation in 1970, Frederick Franz, then vice-president of the Watch Tower Society, told the students of the possibility that they, who were all of the other sheep with earthly hopes, might baptize someone who might claim to be of the anointed remnant. Could this happen? Well, he explained that John the Baptist was of the other sheep, and he baptized Jesus and some of the apostles. Then he went on to ask whether there still was a call for gathering in more of the remnant. "No, no more additions!" he said. "That call ended way back there in 1931-35! There are no more additions. Who, then, are the few newly associated ones who are partaking of the Memorial emblems? If they are of the remnant, they are replacements! They are, not additions to the ranks of the anointed, but replacements for those who may have fallen away."

• heathen
    heathen
    Just as assuredly, Jehovah knows those whom he has chosen as spiritual sons. There is every reason to believe that the number of anointed ones will continue to decline as advanced age and unforeseen occurrences end their earthly lives.

interesting how I kept hearing before the 96 article that the end was so close that many anointed would see this system through to the end , now that they changed the generation dogma we get that anointed are faithful til death? what a bunch of shmucks . If they would just stick to what it says in revelation instead adding a bunch of unfounded crap they would have been ok .

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

w88 1/1 p. 11 par. 8 The Last Days—A Time of Harvest ***

However, they are not alone. John, in another vision, sees the sealing of the final ones of the 144,000. (Revelation 7:1-8) Evidently, the gathering of these was virtually complete by 1935. But then, John reports, he sees "a great crowd, which no man was able to number, out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb." (Revelation 7:9-17) So the harvest work continues as many more from "the peoples, national groups and languages" start to serve Jesus as King.

ws chap. 6 p. 49 par. 6 On the Watch During "the Conclusion of the System of Things" * (Worldwide Security Under The Prince Of Peace - 1986)

**In the mid-1930’s, something significant took place. What occurred suggested that the membership of the spiritual bride of Christ had been filled, that there were on earth enough spirit-begotten disciples of the Bridegroom to make up the full number of his heavenly bride.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Thank you...all of you,

Justitia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit