Challenged to a drag race...

by Jim_TX 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Well, this weekend, I went on an outing with the wife to see the sights. We went up to Austin, Georgetown, and then across to Lampassas - where I filled up with fuel at a local station.

On the way to the Hotel we were staying at, a pimple-faced kid in a Honda pulls up alongside me, and gives me this 'staredown' look. Very serious this kiddo. The main street there in Lampassas (population 6686) has a speed limit of 35 or so. I was in a good mood, and so at the next light, I revved the engine.

Okay... you have to know that I drive a VW Beetle - 1998... 4-cylinders... diesel. Not much 'varroom' in that little engine, but it has a low throaty sound to it, I guess. The kiddo revved his 4-banger Honda. I was there making faces - taunting faces... he - still giving me a very stern 'staredown' look.

The light went 'green'... I popped the clutch... and the VW lurched forward. First gear... then second... all the way up to 35mph... side-by-side... the Honda pulling ahead slightly.

My wife was laughing till she was in tears. She thought this 'display' of macho was hilarious. So did I.

Right about then, we got to the street I needed to turn off to, and I hit the blinker, changed lanes, and went around the corner - the pimply-faced kid going on into the distance.

My wife and I both were laughing about his antics... and how that he would be telling all of his friends in high school how he raced - and won - over the weekend.

Regards,

Jim TX

• prophecor
    prophecor

I guess you really put your foot down, Tex.

That'll show 'em who's Boss.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

ROFL......I get that all the time from young pimple-faced kids with the car I drive daily. I'm not even interested in wasting the fuel on them.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

haha that is awesome.

when i used to race, i always knew better than to race the old guys. they were always sneaky petes and had tricks us young guys had yet to learn.

oh, btw, always be wary of anyone in a vehicle that is not painted well. that means all their money went into the drive train. cool colors don't win races.

• under_believer
    under_believer

For some reason I was picturing a bunch of guys in dresses, heels, and makeup doing the thousand-meter...

• knock knock
    knock knock

LOL Very funny Jim. I love it!

• Sassy
    Sassy

thats cute Jim...

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

jim, drive that car here, let me mess with it. you'll be racing mustangs.

• ronin1
    ronin1

Hi:

I'm sorry if I do not share your humor in this.

But drag racing has caused the loss of many lives over the years and I feel as adults we should be setting an example to our young persons to respect life/lives and not take or initiate dares.

Just my opinion.

Ronin1

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

ronin, it sounds as though neither car made it over 35 mph, so it was not anything you could call dangerous. I agree about street racing in general, we have had some deaths in our community because of street racing. However, I think Tex there has more sense than to actually do any street racing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit