Allah was the moon god? Great read

by MadTiger 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene
    the lengths that the human mind will go to to deny the obvious

Tell me about it!

But what is obvious to me is that we have a Creator; our Creator alone is worthy of our worship; our Creator has sent guidance to us through selected messengers throughout the centuries to explain the meaning of life in this world and how best to live it; we are free to accept or reject this guidance; sound reasoning in determining what to accept or reject is better than blind faith; Muhammad was the final messenger sent by The One God (Allah in Arabic, also in Christian Arabic Bibles) and the Qur'an is the final revelation of guidance from our Creator.

I accept that pagan Arabs were using the Ka'abah as a holy site, prior to Muhammad, that it was filled idols from all over the region to help cement trade relations, and that they too used the Arabic name Allah (The God) to denote the God they held in esteem above all others as the Creator. Why wouldn't they? They were Arabic. This does not prove that Islam is pagan or had pagan origins. Its teachings show quite the opposite. I cannot prove archeologically that Adam built the first Ka'abah there, nor that Abraham and Ismail rebuilt it, nor that some of the rites the pagans were using, and which Muhammad maintained, originated with Abraham. But because my inquiries have proved to me that there is a Creator and that the guidance given to Muhammad is from our Creator, I have no reason not to accept this as reliable as well.

Although the laws and applications may have varied, the essential guidance brought by all of God's prophets to all the nations has been the same: there is no god worthy of worship but the One God; He is alone and has no partner; He neither begets nor was begotten; He alone can determine right and wrong, give us right guidance for our conduct, and pass final judgment on us with true justice and mercy.

If anything I have said is in error, may Allah forgive and correct me.

Salam Shalom Peace E'tokmite'k Paz Paix Shiochain Maluhia Santi 'Eyewi Baris

~Merry

• JCanon
    JCanon

I read someplace where "Allah" could be based on the feminine form of Baal/El, as in Baalet, with Elat becoming Alah? But linguists would have to decide that. If there is some substance to that then the Moon as Elat is a natural connection since the male god is often associated with the sun and feminine god with the moon. Just FYI if you wanted to follow-up on that line. It might explain where that tradition came from, if even spuriously so.

JC

• Terry
    Terry

If you want to witness the most mind-boggling demonstration of insanity/religion watch this video of the Muslim worshippers going roundabout a gaint black cube in the middle of a special stadium which houses a meteor!

This, my friends, is the location on Earth that all Muslims pray toward 5 times a day!

The cube is like a giant barbecue grill covered by a black cloth. It is the HOLIEST SITE ON EARTH!
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1905796782123639189&q=ka%27+aba&total=44&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1
  • SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Maybe it is a giant barbecue. Someone is making some spare ribs, and they're all trying to sneak a bite. They're just all circling around acting all nonchalant waiting for everyone else to leave so no one will see them eating pork.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Allah does not have a feminine ending. The morphophonemic change that variably realized the Proto-Semitic feminine ending *-at as -ah was restricted to Central Semitic (e.g. Arabic, Hebrew, Aramaic) and not was not found in Eastern Semitic which preserved the original consonant. The triliteral form of the word for "god" (i.e. Arabic 'ilah < al-'ilah "the god" = 'Allah), i.e. the form that has three consonants ' - l - h, however, is found throughout Central and Eastern Semitic -- hence one finds Akkadian ilahu alongside ilu, just as in Hebrew 'lwh (Eloah) exists alongside biliteral 'l (El) and Aramaic similarly has 'elaha. This shows that the triliteral form was older than the sound change in Central Semitic. There was a feminine form 'Allat (< al-'ilahat, notice that the feminine ending is attached to a triliteral root) which occurs in the Quran (cf. 53:20), and this corresponds to the name of the chief goddess of the Arabians mentioned by Herodotus (Historia 1.131, 3.38) in the fifth century BC, namely, Alilat whom Herodotus compared to Aphrodite. This is clearly a transliteration of al-'ilahat and not 'ilahat or the biliteral 'alat, so the definite article was part of the name back then. One should also be careful to distinguish al-'ilahat from the earlier Canaanite goddess Elat which is the feminine form of the biliteral root but which does not incorporate the definite article.

I found the article BTW to be speculative and unconvincing, especially in its linkage between Allah and the Akkadian moon god Sin is simply asserted rather than demonstrated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit