Ever met a "deep" JW?

by educ8self 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Re: Ever met a "deep" JW?

There's no such thing. "Deep JW" = Pompous ass, condescending, arrogant dolt, that thinks he...or she, is better than the rest of the world because of reading the watchtower and all its bullshit.

Dismembered

• educ8self
    educ8self
    educ8self , I would like to ask (considering that you've been posting a fair bit in just this last 3 weeks, and your screen-name suggests that you invite such questions):

Sure,

What do you know about having been raised in a JW environment?

Was one from my teens, though my parents weren't I had friends who were.

What do you know about sociology?

Only formal study is an intro class I dropped.

What do you know about epistemology?

Not much either, took an intro philosophy course years ago.

What (getting back to the first question) do you know about conditioning?

Well that we have a lot of practical experience in don't we! I've more education in psychology though it is also in the past, (few classes, few popular books here and there) I essentially have a general familiarization. I guess I'm a pretty simple guy when you get down to it, my interest in educating myself cannot replace my interest in people and life I suppose, which is why I spend so much time on this forum I guess. I do appreciate a good education, although it isn't so much in the way of a large volume of information. You may say I'm more of a humanist than I am an intellectual, something like that. Like today when I'm posting so much, it really isn't so much about what is said as it is just an interest in people, my heart actually goes out to the folks on here.

Did you have some ideas in the way of suggested reading, specifics for discussion?

• TMS
    TMS

Adolph Joseph DeMan, my grandfather. . . .

I spoke of him here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/17387/1.ashx

A.J. was not an intellectual. Not sure that's a negative. He finished the second grade before becoming the family breadwinner in the coal mines. He always said something profound, difficult to understand. He was of the so-called "anointed" but very earth-oriented. Do you remember those colored pencils, half-red, half-blue. He wore dozens of those out, studying his Bible, underlining key points.

He could survive on the soil without greenbacks. He composted religiously, collected soft water in rain barrels and never heated with anything but wood.

His comments and prayers were too wordy for the Kingdom Hall. He was called on with reluctance.

His main attribute? He liked me.

tms

• onacruse
    onacruse

educ8self, I appreciate your response.

You may say I'm more of a humanist than I am an intellectual, something like that. Like today when I'm posting so much, it really isn't so much about what is said as it is just an interest in people, my heart actually goes out to the folks on here.

Now that's a feeling to which I, and most everybody on this discussion forum, can relate. It requires a considerable understanding of how, and why, we got to the point we're at...and most often it's a matter of having "walked in the other persons' shoes" before we can offer advice on what, and why, to believe a different way. Therefore:

Did you have some ideas in the way of suggested reading, specifics for discussion?

I've read thousands of pages of books that have been presented both to me personally, and have been posted on this discussion forum, including things from those despicable Jesuits . Did those readings, in and of themselves, change me? NOOOOOOO What changed me?

IT WAS THE PERSONAL INTERACTION, FEELING THINGS RATHER THAN THINKING THINGS.

Thus my apparent ability to relate to asinac: she 'heard' my words, even though the words were in and of themselves insufficient.

I don't post here (ot elsewhere) much anymore, but, fwiw, I sorta like your temperment. I hope you hang around, eh?

Craig

• educ8self
    educ8self

As I say I've been here before Craig, just not the same as I was even then so I kind of consider it irrelevant. I've actually spoken to you on the phone before. Life will take me here and there, so while I may not hang out I do kind of come back periodically.

• onacruse
    onacruse
    I've actually spoken to you on the phone before.

Call me again, if you like, or PM me and I'll call you.

Interesting.

• onacruse
    onacruse

LOL...what a large, and yet small, world it is, indeed.

It was a pleasure talking with you again after all this time.

To be honest, I was thinking about you this last week: Why? I don't know.

I hope I can wrap my head a little bit more around some of the things you and I have discussed in the past.

Craig

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

To be honest, I was thinking about you this last week: Why? I don't know.

We're all connected, man.

It's weird.

But it's true.

Good to see you again, ona.

Almost embarrassing to say hi to you, but you're Father's Day present will get to you eventually.

The longer I procrastinate, the more goodies.

Thnaks for reaching out to me when you did.

We're all connected, man.

Love your posts, educ8self.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

yes, I know alot of deep JW's

Being shallow is not a prerequisite (lol sp) for being a JW

purps

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

My father is very deep and intelligent.

Sadly, he's also very brainwashed.

Share this