Major Internet Security Breach! (My System)

by Amazing 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Normally, I get security Alerts! everyday, but my system makes a simple side note, and I clear it. Usually I get 20 to 30 per day, and some days 65 or 70, most of which are minor 'unused port blocking," and some few are "Hacking" and a few more are "Sub-Seven Trojans". My worst day, a couple of months ago, I got about 175 Security Alerts. Since I started notifying JWD of this, my Security Alerts have declined back to about 10 to 20 in recent weeks.

Today Was a Serious Ball Buster! Not only did my Security System give me notice, it stopped my entire system with a full page frame, detailing 467 (Four Hundred and Sixty Seven) attempted "hacks" into my system. It stopped them all. But this time is not only reported the IP routing, but gave me the email address and screen name and even the version of the hacker's Internet Account they are using! This is Awesome!

Obviously, the person used a weird coded screen name, but since I have their email and screen name and IP Server, I can file a complaint against them.

So far, my security system is working well, but this unusual Alert stage was something like a military DefCon-1, full alert and ready for war. I have not seen this level prior to today. Before my system could proceed, I had to establish new rules for the system, and add new blocks regarding this smooth operating Hacker.

Am I a Target? I have no idea why anyone would want to hack me, but I suspect that 99.9% of any "hacks" are simply floating around looking for a victim, and I get in the line of fire once in a while. BUT, this time, this particular Hacker was after my system with a vengence, and one of their attempts was to try and send email in my name. Either I happen to get in the sights of some random real bad-guy hacker, or someone knows of me and is trying to make my life hell. I wonder why?

Anyway, just tought you all would like to know, in case you experience unusual security alerts or other unwanted activity today, you are not alone. And, that my system has stopped Mr. Hacker once again. - Amazing

PS: IN the laat 20 minutes, I have had 7 more security alerts, with 4 of those as Trojans. This is getting crazy.

• msil
    msil

Amazing my firewall has not been hit once today......you must be the fallguy.

• Tina
    Tina

Hi Amazing,
    Thanks.I started receiving security alerts late last night.....not as many as yours tho. Will be watching now.luv,Tina

NOW PLAYING AT SIMONS MULTIPLEX!
    'The Good,The Bad,The Fundy'

Special Matinee HORROR!!!!
    THIS WILL SCARE YOU,MAKE YOU SCREAM AT NIGHT!!! See-
    'I Was A Teenage JW Pioneer!
    PG-13

• guesswho
    guesswho

What security system do you have?

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi GuessWho: Well, let's see, what system do I have. I have some of this and some of that from various well known vendors. And then I have this really cool stuff I developed that is totally proprietary, and I have not shared with anyone.

If you are looking for a good Security system, here are my recommendations:

1. McAfee is basically okay, but it take too much RAM with a lot of Bells and Whistles nonsense that I don't need and slows my system to much. Otherwise it is okay for Anti-Virus.

2. Norton Internet Security, Firewall and Anti-Virus is also excellent, and Norton does not slow the system with junk. It is now owned and marketed by Semantec.

3. Black Ice is also excellent, and has some features that many like.

There are some others, but these are most commonly known and work well. - Amazing

• fodeja
    fodeja
    So far, my security system is working well, but this unusual Alert stage was something like a military DefCon-1, full alert and ready for war

Pleeease, Amazing, cut the sensationalist "war" nonsense. Just because your firewall logs are showing a bit more activity than usual doesn't mean we have a "Major Internet Security Breach" going on!

The best personal firewall software is the kind that works quietly, blocks unwanted stuff and lets the good things run smoothly. Period. Unfortunately, some people just love to get all excited about "security alerts" whenever a stray ARP packet hits their cable modem. Of course, most users don't have a clue what that is, and they shouldn't have to.

If you're really, really concerned about network security, don't run Windows. Or at the very least rid yourself of software with a track record of numerous security problems, such as Outlook.

f.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Fodeja: You said, "Pleeease, Amazing, cut the sensationalist "war" nonsense. Just because your firewall logs are showing a bit more activity than usual doesn't mean we have a "Major Internet Security Breach" going on!"

First, for "ME" a jump from 10 to 20 low level port blocks to 467 hack attempt, etc. is a MAJOR Breach. I never stated that this was about the entire Internet, nor about anything sensationalistic. That is simply what you are reading into my post so you can have something to bitch about. My reference to DefCon was meant in a humorist allegorical context.

You said, "The best personal firewall software is the kind that works quietly, blocks unwanted stuff and lets the good things run smoothly. Period."

Yep, no brainer there.

You said, "Unfortunately, some people just love to get all excited about "security alerts" whenever a stray ARP packet hits their cable modem. Of course, most users don't have a clue what that is, and they shouldn't have to."

Yep, okay, asuming everyone uses cable modem. And I have only made a three or four notices to JWD. The reasons for this are because my system reports who the hacker is ... and in the unlikely but possible event it is some lurker or poster on JWD, they will get the clue that they are not invisible to me. Also, I do it for interest to see what others go through. Additionally, I make these reports periodicly fow Newbies who may not be aware or realize that there is some cause for concern, and to stimulate a discussion for the benefit of all. Finally, I bring up the topic for a change of pace.

Senationalism, no. I am well aware that this is likely unique to me today. In one past report, several other posters all experienced heavy hacker traffic on the same day. So, it is good to compare notes once in a while and see what in the hell is going on.

Also, I was not sure how to word the title so that it perfectly describes all possibilities so that it will be 100% clear what this is about. Sunject line is simply too short for that. I simply selected a title to let folks know that this is something significant, and in the past no one bitched about it, for they know what I will be posting.

And, lastly, whether people believe it or not, I have good information that the Watch Tower Society has certain Bethelites troll these forums. I personally know of of one person at Bethel who is very capable of hacking, and in some cases will do so if it is believed to be in the Society's interests. That is one reason I only use a router for my forum email - can't be hacked back into my system, and cannot give any significant clues to hackers.

You said, "If you're really, really concerned about network security, don't run Windows."

I am not that concerned about Windows, for its just an operating system. The type of Security package is what counts. Of course, one has to assume I use Windows rather than Linux, or Mac, or something.

You said, "Or at the very least rid yourself of software with a track record of numerous security problems, such as Outlook."

Well, I never stated what I use. And I was not complaining about problems. I was noting significant and unusual types of security alerts - the most since I have set up my system. I also have my own proprietary development that works quite well. - Amazing

• mommy
    mommy

Hey Amazing
    After one of your posts I downloaded Zonealarms, and I thank you for providing this information. I can say that when I am online I rarely get hit, well until I come into JW.com. Then my alarm goes off like mad. Now I am not computer literate at all, and I will say that I have no idea how a hacker could work on my system. But I am glad for the extra protection and blocking I have now. I may not be much safer, but I feel safer. I had over 10 blocks today while I was in chat and that was only about 15 minutes.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention again
    wendy

Blind faith can justify anything.~Richard Dawkins

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Mommy: Thanks for the good points. One of the reasons that JWD.com causes security alerts is that if you click on the "Check here to be notified by email whenever anyone replies to this topic" box below, you will get return notices. And if you don't check that box, but reply to a post where the author has checked his/her own box, and you miss it, it will be auto-checked and you will get the notices. Once I saw this, I reduced the numbers of alerts. But, even with this, I still get a lot of alerts per day, and today was just one of those fun wild days that I tought everyone would find fascinating. Thanks for the tip about your getting ZoneAlarm. This one was recommended to me, and seems to be a good product. - Amazing

• waiting
    waiting

Welllllll, dayum!

I won't know if I received "a hit" if it hit me upside the head!

*sigh* -------- just livin' dangerously, eh?

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit