Calgary Dad Wins Partial Court Victory in Daughter's Death

by Dogpatch 55 Replies latest jw friends

• sf
    sf

Good Lowered people, let's not allow this thread to get buried beyond page three of ACTIVE TOPICS.

Thank you.

This is such a relief:

The court has also restored his lawsuit on behalf of the estate alleging the Watchtower Society and its lawyers used mis-representation and deceit to convince his 16-year-old daughter Bethany chemotherapy and blood transfusions would not help cure her cancer and were experimental.

MEMO TO TED JARACZ:

You really did think Barbara was your worst nightmare, didn't you?

It would have behooved you to at least read the entire journal that Kerry NAILED.

How many more nails are you going to wait to get pounded with?

There are many more you know? You DO know this, right, brother?

Isn't it isteresting how "JapanBoy" abandoned his own thread after your sorry ass was mentioned as a lifeline?

Look, it's apparent you aren't going to be going through all 5000 pages of what you were NAILED with, again, But the 98 pages of pure bust is something you should have engraved on your dirtclod. It's priceless.

We WILL find what it 'IS' that your corrupt and weak, kissass organization is funding, outside your tower walls.

THAT will require a loaded staple gun.

Have a splendid labor day, you ass.

sKally

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Why does this thread keep getting pushed back? It's the biggest news this past weekend! It's a HUGE WIN.

Perhaps the thread name should be CAPS or have a catchier title?

"CANADIAN APPEAL COURT OK'S LAWRENCE HUGHES TO SUE WT OVER DAUGHTER'S BLOOD DEATH"

Anyone able to do this? Should we post another thread? I don't want to break the JWD rules.....but this is BIG.

The WT is about to have their a-s-s-e-s sued for its LIES.

• Quandary
    Quandary

BTTT!!

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Let's not forget that this is a win for Ms. Bethany Hughes & her father. Let's give them a HUGS, TEDDYBEARS, AND ROSES.

Skeeter

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Excellent news! When will the WT stop lying to its followers? I think I know the answer as the rest do...but as long as they keep lying, they'll keep paying....

• Gill
    Gill

Anyone have a rough idea of the time scale for this to go back to court properly?

It will be fascinating to hear a blow by blow account of this trial whether the WTS loses or wins. They will not be able to help but expose themselvs as the hypocrites and charlatans that they really are.

• Gill
    Gill

So what do you all think of paragraph 37?

It asks the question (simply put) if a religion tells someone who is diabetic to stop taking insulin and depend on God for a cure, and that person dies, is the religion responsible? If they encourage someone to not take antibiotics and that person dies, is the religion responsible for the death?

This will be a fascinating discussion in court, whether the WT loses or not, finally religion and the right to believe anything whether it kills another person or not will be outed and challenged in court! About time!!

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

The opinion gives Lawrence the right to sue the JWs for deceit and misrepresentation. Brady & gang convinced Bethany (minor) & doctors to stop blood transfusions and to go with "cyanide" treatment. Doesn't cyanide kill people? Brady & gang misrepresented the benefits of withholding blood transfusions and the benefits of cyanide/other treatment. Again, doesn't cyanide kill people?

After reading the whole article, it almost sounded like the court was hinting that this religion could be held for criminal charges. While it was never stated in the court opinion....it's the "between the lines" that just reeks of it. It's the language used, I just can't place my finger on why I think this...perhaps it was the talk of how Bethany was still under the Church officials influence even after church officials left the scene in her final weeks/months. Perhaps it's that the court specifically mentioning that the Brady gang pushed cyanide that sticks out at me. Some type of accidental homicide or negligent homicide? If this goes to trial, I could see the Province of Alberta homicide unit getting interested in it.

I think that each of us can have our own medical wishes - such as "I want to eat blueberries instead of taking antibiotics." But, the court is getting at whether an organized religion, with millions of adherants, can give medical advice. Isn't giving medical advice to be left to doctors, instead of witch doctors? I think the court is saying that religions can't give life threatening medical "advice." At the very least, they can not misrepresent what sound medicinal practices dictate as the truth. Here, I don't think that cyanide is sound medical practice. Bethany should not have been an experiment for the WT quack doctors.

It also sounds like the WT lawyers argued that Brady/they couldn't have misrepresented facts since they weren't there during Bethany's final weeks/months. The court specifically said that Brady's influence could have continued, despite his absence. This is a LOW, LOW argument for the WT lawyers to make. It sounds like the court was beating their hands, and recognizing the yellow bellied snakes for what they are.

Skeeter

• choosing life
    choosing life

Yes!

It's about time some sanity is displayed concerning the damage the doctrines of those old men in Brooklyn have caused to so many innocent people.

First, the pedophile issue and now the blood issue, maybe. All that is left is the shunning issue. Could it be that justice wins out in the end afterall?

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Following are some #'d paragraphs of the Judges words, with my "Blondie-Style" comments in red.

[8] Bethany was discharged from the Alberta Children’s Hospital in Calgary on July 13, 2002. She was placed under the care of the defendant doctors Turner and Belch at the Cross Cancer Institute in Edmonton. They tried treatments (arsenic trioxide and Vitamin C) that did not involve blood transfusions. Further treatment at the Cross Cancer Institute was unsuccessful, and Bethany died on September 5 , 2002.

In July 02, WT attorneys convince judge to get her into Turner & Belch. The WT attorneys probably also convinced the Turner doctors to try arsenic! Bethany stops the blood transfusions, takes arsenic, then died. HMMMMM????? Fishier than a large mouth bass to me.

[35] The statement of claim pleads misrepresentation and deceit, which are well established causes of action. The particular misrepresentation is alleged to be that the defendants told Bethany that "blood transfusions . . . would not help cure her cancer and intentionally misstated to Bethany that a chemotherapy/blood transfusion treatment protocol for her leukemia was experimental when in fact it was not" (Statement of Claim, para. 27(a)).

The WT says chemotherapy/blood transfusions are experimental???? WTF???? Arsenic is experimental!!!!! Is the world still flat, Brady?

The use of the word "intentional" is interesting. If found to be true and given arsenic, then Alberta Police may be able to try "negligent homicide" or the Canadian equal.

[36]....Freedom of religion does not include any right to impose religious beliefs on third parties.

The WT imposes it's blood doctrine through the use of disfellowshipping and shunning, WT appointed attorneys who will report back to other elders if the patient takes blood, and a gestapo hospital liasion. While the court held that Canada does not have "undue coercion", I think the court left the door open for Lawrence to argue "imposes".

[37] Freedom of religion is subject to those limitations that are justifiable in a free and democratic society. The boundaries of freedom of religion are too unclear to warrant striking out this pleading. It is not at all clear to what extent a religious adherent can convince another person to take actions for religious reasons that will cause him or her bodily harm or even death, even if the religious belief is sincerely held. Assume, as an example, that a religious adherent persuades a third party diabetic that he or she should stop taking insulin, and that divine intervention will cure him or her. Assume further that the diabetic follows this advice and dies as a result. Can it be said that the estate of the deceased would have no cause of action against the religious adherent? If the religious adherent withheld antibiotics from a sick person, either in favour of a divine healing, or in favour of traditional herbal remedies, is the religious adherent immune from an action if the patient dies? Cases such as

R.B. v. Children's Aid Society of Metropolitan Toronto , [1995] 1 S.C.R. 315 at paras. 86, 107, 114, 212-7, 225-6; R. v. Tutton , [1989] 1 S.C.R. 1392; R. v. Canhoto (1999), 127 O.A.C. 147, 140 C.C.C. (3d) 321; B. (V.) v. Cairns (2003), 65 O.R. (3d) 343 at para. 139; Rex v. Elder , [1925] 3 D.L.R. 447, [1925] 2 W.W.R. 545, 35 Man. R. 161, 44 C.C.C. 75 (C.A.); R. v. Brooks (1902), 9 B.C.R. 13, 5 C.C.C. 372 (Ct. Crim. App.); and R. v. Lewis (1903), 6 O.L.R. 132, 7 C.C.C. 261 (C.A.) show that the answer to these questions is far from clear.

The court is saying that Jim Jones would not have been protected. Neither should the WT Society.

[38] It might be that the Charter protected right of freedom of religion would protect actions of this sort if they are honestly held. It might be argued at trial that there is no reasonable limit that would be recognized in a free and democratic society that would prevent the religious dherent from giving such medical advice. It is not, however, appropriate to decide such difficult questions in a motion to strike out pleadings. Whether religious views provide a defence to or justification for misrepresentations that cause bodily harm or death should only be decided on a full factual record. It is not "plain and obvious" that a sincerely held religious belief would be an answer to a claim where application of the religious doctrine is said to have caused a death.

Full factual record = trial by jury or judge. Who thinks the WT wants to go to a trial with a jury of non-JWs, including Catholics?

Application = action. The court is saying that people can have internal thougths & beliefs, but when those beliefs turn into action, then the government can step in. What if the belief is suicide bombings by Muslims? When the consequence of the application of the religious belief is killing or bodily harm, the Canadian government can not allow it. Neither a suicide bomber or Shane Brady can use "religious belief" after killing another with bombs or arsenic.

[39] In any event, the pleadings will not require any examination of the "truth" of the respondents’ beliefs about blood transfusions. The misrepresentations pleaded are that it was falsely represented (i) that blood transfusions are an experimental treatment, and (ii) that blood transfusion treatment is ineffective. There is no indication on the record that either of these topics are the subject of any religious belief of the respondents. The record indicates that the respondents are opposed to transfusions as a matter of faith, not because they are experimental or ineffective.

When the WT states medical facts, they are not talking about religious beliefs. The WT can be sued for misstating medical facts.

[40] While the claims in misrepresentation cannot be struck, it must be made clear that the objective validity of the belief of the respondents that blood transfusions are prohibited by scripture is not an issue in this litigation, will not be the subject of discovery or production, and will not be an issue at trial. This is so even though the respondents may raise their sincerely held religious beliefs as a defence or justification.

Can't bring up Acts/Noah law in court.

[41] The chambers judge also struck the allegations of misrepresentation on the basis that no particulars were provided as required by Rule 115. A pleading that discloses a cause of action, but Page: 10 is perhaps deficient through a lack of particulars, should not be struck out under Rule 129 without giving the plaintiff an opportunity to provide particulars. In any event, it is not clear what particulars are missing. The substance of the misrepresentations is well stated. The pleading deposes that the misrepresentations were made between February 15 , 2002 and July 29 , 2002. If the respondents th th believe other particulars are required, and that they are prejudiced by any alleged lack of particulars, the appropriate application can be brought.

[44] The lawyer respondents argue that they were not counsel for Bethany after July 2002. That is a question of fact, but in any event the statement of claim (paras. 19(a), 27 (a) and (f)) alleges misrepresentations as early as February 2002. The exact scope of the allegations (especially considering the possibility of amendment to clarify the remaining allegations now that large portions have been struck) is not sufficiently clear to justify striking these pleadings. If the misrepresentations started in February, 2002, and continued through the period of transfusions, their effect in the period following the end of the transfusions is not plain and obvious.

What Shane Brady misrepresented (see above) on Bethany betwen Feb 15, 2002 and July 29, 2002 colored her mind and effected her may have lingered until her death. While I was not at the trial, I wonder if Shane argued that WT misreprensentations were done before Bethany died, therefore WT can't be held accountable as Bethany was making her own decisions after July 2002 up through her death. This is the yellow bellied snake argument. Disgusting book publishing cult, this is. I think the court is disgusted at this weak argument. Everyone can see through it.

Skeeter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit