I Tried To Be a Righteous Dub, but What Do I Do Now?

by R.F. 18 Replies latest jw friends

• freyd
    freyd

By decoy, I mean, what is it that the WT claims to be that it isn't? Everybody has been conned at one time or another. Your relatives can understand that. But what was it that you thought you had dedicated your life to that turned out to be that which it wasn't?

• free2think
    free2think

I know how you feel R.F. I am trying to reconnect with my relatives too, esp my cousins, most are around my age. I'm taking the little by little approach, and after i explained that it was all lies and that i was in a cult they are more receptive and very welcoming. But i must add they don't really come into contact with my parents much at all, and i have sworn them to secrecy.

I'm actually hoping to meet up with one of my df'd relatives this weekend.

• R.F.
    R.F.

Apostate Kate2, thanks for that suggestion, i'll definitely keep that in mind.

freyd, that's true I suppose. I guess everyone does get suckered in to something in one form of another at some point in life.

and that's great free2think when it comes to your relatives! I hope mine are the same way.

• Mum
    Mum

My story is the same as that of snowbird. I was the first dub, and a few others became JW's because I got that nasty ball rolling.

My non-dub family members accept me now just as much as they always did. They don't bring up my JW past unless there's a compelling reason, such as, "Oh, that's right. You couldn't be at that birthday party for Uncle L. That's when you went off to be a Hoby." Getting religion and then losing it happens a lot among my relatives anyway; it's the hillbilly way.

Don't worry. Your cousins and others are likely to be happy to see you're free. Maybe you can send them a holiday greeting card to break some ice.

Regards,

SandraC

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Getting religion and then losing it happens a lot among my relatives anyway; it's the hillbilly way.

Oh! You are sooo bad. Same goes for my family. I like to tell people that we put the d-y-s in dysfunctional family.

Snowbird

• changeling
    changeling

Pick one or two to confide in and tell your story. Gage their reaction and take it from there. That aunt who studied in the past may be a good place to start.

All the best,

changeling

• Mincan
    Mincan

I like Free2Think's eye...

• Twitch
    Twitch

Move on

• R.F.
    R.F.

Thanks everyone.

When I feel the time is right I think i'll start with the aunt that once studied. She of all people would be the most understanding. Then i'll take the baby steps approach with my cousins, doing little things to show I care.

Thanks again!

R.F.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit