Pyramid at Russell's Grave Modeled After the Great Pyramid?

by cabasilas 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Nathan,

I would agree with you on almost all the points you brought up. However, the 1921 Annual Meeting Program does state the pyramid marker was approved by Russell.

• VM44
    VM44

Brain Dead wrote:

And he / Russell / was looking for a great selling and marketing tool to catch peoples attention and it worked !

There are indications that this was the real reason Russell included the Great Pyramid in his books.

Russell did NOT document in Volume 3 of Studies in the Scriptures exactly how he arrived at the numbers he used in his pyramid calculations. In fact it turned out he got his prophetic "measurements" from a drawing of the Great Pyramid found in a book written by Charles Piazzi Smythe.

Russell was a businessman, a salesman, and a con man.

--VM44

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

Nathan what I don't understand is since the HQ was moved to Brooklyn in 1909 why was C.T.Russell buried in Pittsburgh? Maybe the plot had been already set aside when the operations was in Pittsburgh/Allegheny, also that was his birthplace. Anyway I agree with cabasilas, that it is stated in the pamphlet, Russell had ordered the erection of the monument, and that Rutherford learning of this had Bohnet proceed at once to get the monument erected. I downloaded all the pics when the the item was still up for auction.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Gentlemen, I have learned something. Thank you!

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I may be mistaken, but I believe the plot belonged to the Society before they moved to Brooklyn in 1909.

The pictures from the 1921 Annual Meeting program can still be downloaded. Go to:

http://www.ebay.com

and then type in 260151336489 in the search box. It will bring up the old listing. At least for awhile.

• RR
    RR

Oh, you guys ... do some research. The WHOLE cemetery, and I do mean the WHOOOOOOLLLLLLE cemetery was farmland, owned by non other than Charles Tayes Russell. CTR's uncle. Who left it to him upon his death. He turned it into a cemetery. I have the charter somewhere in my files. The Society later sold the whole cemetery and it was divided into little cemeteries’ fro various denominations. Russell's family (Parents, uncle and siblings) are buried in Allegheny.

Just because the Judge stated that Russell approved the monument, doesn't mean this was true. The Judge proved to be a liar from the beginning, so why should he be believed? Remember, he was the one who said Russell believed he was "That Servant" and said so privately. As far as creature worship is concerned? It started with the Judge, he was the one who put Russell on a pedestal who appease the Bible Students, then in 1927 tried to slay the very monster he created.

RR

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

RR pointed out

As far as creature worship is concerned? It started with the Judge, he was the one who put Russell on a pedestal who appease the Bible Students, then in 1927 tried to slay the very monster he created.

Certainly Rutherford is not without culpability, but I seem to recall that there was one "falling away" around 1900 that was based primarily on the understanding of the "covenant," but secondarily upon CTR's use of the title "Pastor," which some found offensive and unscriptural. One person who parted with CTR over this was M.L. McPhail, who was CTR's first "pilgrim" and E. C. Henninges, who helped solve the problem of Rose Ball by marrying her.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

RR,

Thanks for the info on the cemetery. Please share with us info on the Charter for the cemetery.

The 1919 Convention Report also says that Russell had agreed to the idea of the pyramid marker:

http://cchasson.free.fr/deposit/CR/1919convention.pdf

See page 7. At this time, JFR and the other members of the board were in jail in Atlanta so I don't think Rutherford can be blamed for making this up.

The Judge proved to be a liar from the beginning, so why should he be believed? Remember, he was the one who said Russell believed he was "That Servant" and said so privately.

Russell published letters in the WT where readers referred to him as "that servant." See, for example: 15 November 1915 Watch Tower, p. 351; Reprints 5804.) Russell did not stop others from referring to him as "that servant." Not to defend JFR, but why is this statement presented as questionable?

• Word
    Word

VM44 wrote:

Russell did NOT document in Volume 3 of Studies in the Scriptures exactly how he arrived at the numbers he used in his pyramid calculations.
    In fact it turned out he got his prophetic "measurements" from a drawing of the Great Pyramid found in a book written by Charles Piazzi Smythe.

alt

Pyramid at Charles Piazzi Smythe grave

• Word
    Word

alt

The constellation of the seven stars forming the Pleiades appears to be the crowning center around which the known systems of the planets revolve.... It has been suggested, and with much weight, that one of the stars of that group is the dwelling place of Jehovah and the place of the highest heavens;....

The constellation of the Pleiades is a small one compared with others which scientific instruments disclose to the wondering eyes of man. But the greatness in size of other stars or planets is small when compared to the Pleiades in importance, because the Pleiades is the place of the eternal throne of God.

J. F. Rutherford, Reconciliation, 1928, p. 14.

alt

alt

Watchtower Bible & Tract Society (Jehoavah's Witnesses)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit