How to Disperse the UN Story

by indireneed 11 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• indireneed
    indireneed

I am looking for help . . . as I always am when I turn to your discussion board.

After reading the unbelievable news about the bestiality practiced by the governing body, I have been looking for a way to break the news in my local area. I would really like to have the newspaper to pick up the story so it could in turn provoke a discussion with my wife.

I was thinking an opinion / letter to the editor article might help in this respect, and so I wrote one up. I am posting it here to see if anyone has any comments or suggestions.

The Worship of the Seemingly Powerful

Decades ago, people felt that science would completely obliterate modern society’s thoughts about religion. It was generally accepted that people would become more and more cynical about the influence of God in their lives and would accept the ideas behind Darwinism – we are not special because God created us that way, but we are actually special because we are who we are.

However, this flight from religion has not occurred. Instead, we see religious fundamentalism and even cult-like groups arising from even more directions. Whether these groups have always existed and are just now being exposed is beside the point. The important item is that they exist, and they are not being lulled into accepting evolution and man’s concept of man.

When we look at the events of the past few months, we are frightened by the possibilities of people’s actions that result from their belief that they are right. The shocking events of September 11th, the tragic Waco incident as well as lethal attacks in Japan prove my point. Why do these groups decide that they must be so right so as to take the law into their own hands?

It surely cannot be their reading of religious texts. In my life I have never found a religious document that could be clearly read and understood that said ‘Thou shalt take the law of the Lord in thine own hand.’ Rather, religious texts are necessarily oblique and dense simply because their topic (the why of life) is so difficult to bring to light.

However, there does seem to be a common thread among religious and secular extremists. This thread is the existence of strong, authoritarian and unquestionable leaders. These leaders take the opinion of one and then offer it to hundreds, thousands, even millions in order to spread their ‘gospel’. We see Osama Bin Laden attracting young Muslims that perhaps have no better person to turn to and the Taliban taking up his cause. What do the people of Afghanistan think about the Taliban now? Faced with thousands of innocents dead, can they still believe that the Taliban has the right to lead them?

But today’s events are not the only examples of religious leaders and their shameful hypocrisy. True, Osama Bin Laden and his holy war to free people who do not necessarily want his help due to his inhuman practices is a glaring example. However, we see scandals throughout our recent history brought about by overzealous religious leaders. Priests who do not live up to their calling, ministers just seeking money and now an emerging scandal that could rock even one of the most fundamental of fundamental religious groups – Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Faced with decades of disparaging remarks against the League of Nations and the United Nations as a demonic body and one of the telltale signs of impending action by God, they have recently been rocked by allegations concerning their membership in, and therefore allegiance to, that same body of hard-working peacemakers. Does this mean that their religious doctrine is wrong? Not necessarily. What it means is that their spiritual leaders are no different than any others – misguided men who pursue their own objectives, and thus, their authority is questioned.

What is the common thread? People still long to belong to special groups that profess to be the ultimate truth. Perhaps Darwinism will conquer religion; however, will we begin to worship Darwin himself? People long to worship something, and perhaps we need to find something that is worth our time and worship. Maybe we should quest for peace – that all elusive entity that has no religious book dedicated to just it. Why must we worship organizations, people and unknown gods exposed only through cryptic passages? I propose that we worship peace, unquestionably.

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

More toiletpapers!!

• Celia
    Celia

Hi, "Indireneed"....
    Great letter, perhaps not enough details about the UN/JW "scandal".
    In the next paragraph, you start with "Faced"; it does not seem to fit there. Who is faced? ok, "they", the JWs or the GB?
    Maybe more details about all the disparaging articles in the Watchtower and Awake magazines : riding the wild beast or whatever else they've been saying over the years. And that belonging, joining such a political group is ground for DF, if you're a rank and file JW. So what about the men on the GB ? They've joined the wild beast, shouldn't they be DF ? and why did theu withdraw their membership, a couple weeks ago ?....

.....Faced with decades of disparaging remarks against the League
    of Nations and the United Nations as a demonic body and one of the telltale signs of impending action by God, they have recently been rocked by allegations concerning their membership in, and therefore allegiance to, that same body of hard-working peacemakers.....

Good job
    Celia

• indireneed
    indireneed

Honestly, I'm trying to find a way to sneak it in to the article without it just being a rant against the JWs. I'm going to add more detail though to the JW section . . . there are just too many fun details that make them look stupid.

• indireneed
    indireneed

I have strenthened the paragraph on the Witnesses to the following:

Their leadership, faced with decades of disparaging remarks against the League of Nations and the United Nations as a demonic body and one of the telltale signs of impending action by God, has recently been rocked by allegations concerning their membership in, and therefore allegiance to, that same body of hard-working peacemakers. Does this mean that their religious doctrine is wrong? Not necessarily. What it means is that their spiritual leaders are no different than any others – misguided men who pursue their own objectives, and thus, their authority is questioned. However, there is an even darker dimension to this authoritative group of men’s association with the UN. For years, they have quickly removed all dissenters from their group by outright shunning and social banishment for reasons much more trivial than membership in the wild beast of Revelation itself. Will they shun themselves? This is not possible since they have set themselves up as the only true Christians on earth and have limited the membership to this club to only a set number, which has been filled for decades. Those that join now receive salvation only by following these leaders blindly, not by direct participation in the ‘new covenant’ itself and are restricted to a second tier earthly future. The failure of these men, supposedly ‘anointed’ and set apart by God, means that, in fact, God’s direct mouthpiece has been consummating a rather diabolical relationship with the devil himself. While the leadership immediately disassociated from the UN following the controversy, their hypocrisy lives on in the written record.

• indireneed
    indireneed

I have strenthened the paragraph on the Witnesses to the following:

Their leadership, faced with decades of disparaging remarks against the League of Nations and the United Nations as a demonic body and one of the telltale signs of impending action by God, has recently been rocked by allegations concerning their membership in, and therefore allegiance to, that same body of hard-working peacemakers. Does this mean that their religious doctrine is wrong? Not necessarily. What it means is that their spiritual leaders are no different than any others – misguided men who pursue their own objectives, and thus, their authority is questioned. However, there is an even darker dimension to this authoritative group of men’s association with the UN. For years, they have quickly removed all dissenters from their group by outright shunning and social banishment for reasons much more trivial than membership in the wild beast of Revelation itself. Will they shun themselves? This is not possible since they have set themselves up as the only true Christians on earth and have limited the membership to this club to only a set number, which has been filled for decades. Those that join now receive salvation only by following these leaders blindly, not by direct participation in the ‘new covenant’ itself and are restricted to a second tier earthly future. The failure of these men, supposedly ‘anointed’ and set apart by God, means that, in fact, God’s direct mouthpiece has been consummating a rather diabolical relationship with the devil himself. While the leadership immediately disassociated from the UN following the controversy, their hypocrisy lives on in the written record.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I think it's excellent. Send to as many papers as you know exist.

Good luck and please post the results of your fine work.

Slipnslidemaster:"It is always the best policy to tell the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."

- Jerome K. Jerome

• Trilobite
    Trilobite

indireneed,

Excellent letter. I think that no one approach works best. One thing to consider doing is to include copies of the three Guardian articles which tell the UN story very nicely. You might even want to make ref. to The Guardian explicitly in your letter - I don't know.

I suggest this because it is my impression that the UK press and the US press operate somewhat differently. Lots of local US papers, and even larger ones, rely heavily on reports from AP etc. The UK papers also do this but tend also to have more independent investigative reporting of international affairs. So, local papers (apart from local news) tend to rely rather heavily on AP originating stories. Since the Guardian is an internationally known paper, and esp. the Weekly this might help improve the odds.

BEcaus ethe Washington Post is a sister paper of the Guardian and also contributes to the Gdn Weekly maybe that's an angle too.

Good luck,

T.

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Indireneed,

thanks for your post.

Once modified according to suggestions received

i.e. Trilobite (very good) send it away and please

let's know and post on the main thread " UN,NGO's and

the WTBS " to give it a wider audience and publicity on

this forum.

Thanks, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

I just posted an article, that I fired off tonight to a reporter for a very well read newspaper. The reporter will read it and get back to me. He is interested.

It's called "Hypocrite Organization" and is on the main board with a red X....

I also sent the reporter the contact info from the reporter at the Guardian who broke the story. Steve Bates, the Guardian reporter, said he was anxious to speak with the reporter at my local newspaper.

I am providing the reporter here with all he needs, and since this paper already wrote two articles about the JWs this year, a third, and a more accurate one, is only appropriate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit