She Said It Again...

by saywhat29 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• saywhat29
    saywhat29

My mom. She said that if I went out in that world and lived "like that" then she would never see me again. "Like that" is what she replaces with gay or homosxual in mixed company because of the shame of a having a child that is not normal by even the world's standards. Before, it used to tear me down; I should be moping about, wondering about being lonely and not having a family anymore. I still do sometimes; I recently went to a wedding of a family friend and seeing the family, through all their problems and situations, how they posed together and the love they all shared. It almost made me sick to think about my family, how if I ever got married to a woman, it would be a lie that would fill them with joy, and if I eevr shared my lie with a guy, they would be nowhere in sight.

Again, last night she said it. "Live like that and I will not be able to deal with you." I used to think that maybe she would try, maybe- after time. Even after hearing some of your stories, I believed my mother -"No, not my mom. She's my friend" -would give me some sort of chance.

I'm starting to actually see reality. I'm starting to see the world a little like she does; stark, hard decisions and conclusions that draws lines down the middle of right and wrong. Instead, mine are of what is fantasy and what is reality. I love fantasy since I live in my head everyday and I romantisize most of the relationships I have, blowing them up to proportions that are far from real. I can't leave the religion doing the same thing that keeps others trapped inside of it. Reality is becoming more... "real". Yeah, that didn't make any sense- what I mean is that reality is becoming what I desire instead of the fantasy- of friends, of family. I can't have the conventional family that my own wants for me with a wife and kids. I don't know, maybe I could, but if I did it would still be the queerest conventional family ever. I can't give them what they want.

I have to give me what I want.

So, I know it is time for me to go. Again, my mother won't deal with a son like that, a son whose not a "real man". My therapist helped show me that she has every right as a human being to do what she wants, to react how she wants. She cannot change me from being gay and I can't change her from being in a anti-gay, void-of-anything-real cult. I know things I'm not suppose to and there is no going back, even if I sometimes wish I could be the good faithful JW son. My therapy has helped me see that I control my world, that I have a degree of control and that this is mine. And more than anything, this is all I have. My life and I want it. If any people still feel low, still feel like they aren't worth anything because their family will or are treating them like scum, then please seek out some counseling. It can't make all the feelings go away and I still and will always feel pain when I lose my own. But you have to speak to someone or else you will be stuck. If you moved on from this cult then move on from the pain because you are worth it.

I need to be stronger, stronger than I am. I will be, eventually. I have no choice since I won't take my life- not for them. I would die for them- any of them, but I cannot live a life that is a lie. That is worst than death. So even if my mom or the rest of my family won't dal with a son "like that", I will because I have to. I am "like that".And I know that I don't believe this cult anymore. I need freedom and that is not something this religion can give you. I'd rather die of AIDS then to live forever in some gardenlike place afraid of thinking and feeling what I want to in fear of the Sky God.

..Besides, have ou seen pictures of the new system? I swear, you can tel there aren't any gay people because all those sister with the big hair and those horrible sun desses from the 50's *shudders* It's like fashion and individuality die in the new system (unless you're a person of color then you get to wear kimonos and african garb all day)

• kwr
    kwr

Your situation is not unique to being a JW. Many parents will reject a homosexual child, so just live your life and make new friends and keep family around that will accept you. Good Luck and get involved in some support groups if you need help.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    ..Besides, have ou seen pictures of the new system? I swear, you can tel there aren't any gay people because all those sister with the big hair and those horrible sun desses from the 50's *shudders* It's like fashion and individuality die in the new system (unless you're a person of color then you get to wear kimonos and african garb all day)

LOL -- You're going to do just fine. You have a great sense of humor.

I'm sure you will experience the pain of loss and rejection, dear. But, you sound like you know what is ahead and you're ready to tackle it. Good luck and have a happy life. It's your life--get on with it.

• Mum
    Mum

kwr is right. There are many individuals and groups that do not accept homosexuality or gay people. Your mother happens to be a part of one of many such groups. She might have a similar attitude even if she were not a dub.

It is good that you accept yourself and are ready to live with the rejection. You will find many who do accept you and have a good life anyway.

Hey, don't worry 'bout it,

SandraC

• BFD
    BFD

There are many groups and people that do not accept gays- True that!

It's hard enough growing up gay in the real world but throw in the JW family and it only makes it that much more difficult. Saywhat, you are going to be just fine. You have a good head on your shoulders at such a young age. A really great sense of humor always helps and it is apparent you do not lack in this area!

Hang tough, little brother!

BFD

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

As we have all learned from this forum, people will reject one another for many different reasons. Even parents will reject their own children for being different, a different religion, a different sexual preference, a different lifestyle. JW's even reject other JW's just because they don't quite measure up to their spiritual or social standards.

As others have pointed out, this really isn't unique to JW's though. My counselor told me he had a client who showed him a letter from her father that was every bit as hard and rejecting as some on here have received from their JW families. Families often love their fantasy of who they think we are more than they love who we really are. JW's love their fantasy paradise world more than they love the people who live in the real world with them.

Thank goodness when we are adults we can choose our own friends and build are own family made up of loving and supportive members who allow us to be who we truly are and don't force us to be what they want us to be. That's the true definition of love.

Cog

• eclipse
    eclipse

saywhat29,

You have a wonderful sense of humour that I have enjoyed reading!

Like others have said, you have a good head on your shoulders as well, and with this post, you will help more people than you realize!

You have found the secret.

We are all in control of our own lives and destiny's and no one else's.

If your mother only will love you conditionally, then that is her great loss.

You know how to love with acceptance, and that is a rare treasure.

Maybe one day, she will learn true love equals acceptance.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

An amazing post! You write about your experience so clearly, and with such clear thought - I agree with the poster above who said, "You're going to be just fine."

Your healing is obvious - it's going to hurt, but I think you'll be able to take the hurt. Luckily in this day and age - we get to craft our own families out of the beautiful friends we make. You will get your family one day. I believe that with my whole heart.

Seriously - you have my utmost sympathy and respect.

• DeusMauzzim
    DeusMauzzim

One day in the future, most people will think homosexual discrimination as cruel and barbaric as racial prejudice.

Right now, live like the person you really are, live in an authentic way.

Your mom (like mine) has an exclusive world-view. Like others said, that's her loss. You do not need the approval of those people (I know how difficult this is, exactly because it is your mom). People with an inclusive world-view will accept you because of you.

Celebrate diversity, be diverse yourself.

That is the key to authentic living.

Good luck on your journey. I know you will make it.

- Deus Mauzzim

• saywhat29
    saywhat29

Thanks everybody,

I know my situation is nowhere unique or that different from many gay people and that there are a lot of others who go through the same thing in different groups, but hey, most don't even know or get JWs or the ideology. But you guys do! So.. you must suffer with gay drizama!

Nah seriously, I think the rejection thing is really hard and is such a common thing for folks in our community. But just reading the post here and having folks to support me has been really helpful. And I just wanted to say thanks to folks, to this board.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit