What do JWs think of Mormons?

by lavendar 23 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

You mean you actually think JWs take the time to differentiate among other Christian groups?

Lavender, you give them way too much credit! Truth is, they lump all other Christian religions in the stinky vat labelled "Christendom".

• Hermano
    Hermano
    I think a better term used to describe the mormons or JW's even is a 'Sect' because this word is used to describe a breakaway from a mainstream religion which is what the JW faith is. A cult on the other hand is more used to describe a group of people that isolates itself from normal society and often has one person as the leader.

I like to use the term high control group. Cult and sect, are loaded words in my opinion, which stop the thought process. I don't know how a JW could deny that their group is a high control group.

• brinjen
    brinjen

They don't differentiate between religions in my experience, but bundle them all up as 'christendom'. They don't talk about cults, might draw too much attention to themselves and get the rank and file thinking...

I think a better term used to describe the mormons or JW's even is a 'Sect' because this word is used to describe a breakaway from a mainstream religion which is what the JW faith is.

That was in the days of Charles Taze Russell, then Rutherford took it further and developed them into a cult, that's my opinion anyway...

• lavendar
    lavendar

Thanks for all the replys!

Hermano - that's a very good point. Using "high control group" instead of the "cult". Maybe when I get up the courage to ask our son if he's joined that "cult" yet.....I'll instead say, "So, have you joined that high control group yet?"

• Quandry
    Quandry

Well, when I was going to the KHall, I felt sorry for Mormons. I mean, how could they not know that their belief system was started by a man. And the weirdness of it-they believe that God may be on some other planet. They follow man made rules. They kick people out of their religion if they don't adhere to their belief system. They are a rather closed society, and beleive that they are the true religion.

Then I realized, doesn't all this stuff sound eerily similar to the teachings of the witnesses? There are a few differences. Yes, Mormons must tithe ten percent to the church, but men must go in door to door work for only two years and witnesses must do it for life!

When you get down to it, which one is better?

• lavendar
    lavendar

Quandry - yeah, I guess if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Mormons. Actually, I'd rather DIE than join one of these groups, but at least Mormons get to celebrate Holidays with their families.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Hello everyone. First post. First if anyone can give me pointers on how to use this forum as to applying the pix to the left would be appreciated. Anyway what I read recently was that originally the WTS was created by someone who then believed in the Occult-hence the name cult. That is the connection perhaps. I have 2 questions. I have asked my so called jw "friend" and so far no answers that make sense. 1) If no has met God in person, how would one know his name, and how would you assume He is in fact a he? Isn't that a secular name in the first place and isn't it really stupid that we can only assume that He might be far from the truth-after all, isn't God super human, not human-as that is a human term? 2) If there is absolutely no evolution, and all life came from Adam and Eve, then where did Africans come from as well as others in our world.(that question stumped my"friend").

Anyway I am enjoying the format as it is full of free dialogue and it is most refreshing. Best regards to all.

• changeling
    changeling

They are just a religion like any other. No better, no worse.

changeling

• poppers
    poppers

Welcome, worldtraveller.

• Gordy
    Gordy

I remember many years ago when I was a Min Servant opening the Service Meeting.

One of the items was about Mormons. There had been an article in a previous Watchtower about Mormons.

The item in the Kingdom Ministry was to say that we as JW's were not to make any comments about the Mormon religion.

I found it strange at the time, that such an item appeared.

Were they afraid of something from the LDS?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit