Lets talk about 1975

by lola28 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

I was 8 in 1976 when my mom said that she was relieved to be told that it was the publishers who claimed the end would come in 75 and not the society. She said that we can thank jehoohoo for correcting our thinking.

Just the literature photocopies in Crisis of Conscience are proof enough that the society pushed that date.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Faith in the system Guardian Unlimited, UK

There's been an odd Jehovah's Witness motif to my week. On Tuesday, I watched my erstwhile colleague Laurie Taylor on Channel Five, giggling gleefully over the Witnesses' confident predictions that the world would end in 1975. That was the fun bit.
    http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/padraig_reidy/2007/08/faith_in_the_system.html MORE PROOF ON 1975 WATCHTOWER JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES END OF THE WORLD Faith in the system
    Guardian Unlimited, UK - 24 minutes ago August 25 2007
    There's been an odd Jehovah's Witness motif to my week. On Tuesday, I watched my erstwhile colleague Laurie Taylor on Channel Five, giggling gleefully over ... .....There's been an odd Jehovah's Witness motif to my week. On Tuesday, I watched my erstwhile colleague Laurie Taylor on Channel Five, giggling gleefully over the Witnesses' confident predictions that the world would end in 1975. That was the fun bit. The less fun bit came last night, watching the BBC news, hoping to catch a glimpse of Fiona Bruce's ankles . The story of Michael Porter turned up. Porter is the Jehovah's Witness who yesterday managed to avoid - as David Wilson says , scandalously - a custodial sentence despite admitting to a horrifying catalogue of child abuse offences. ---------- WOW a prominent British paper (equivalent) to the American New York Times has published on the Watchtower 1975 end of the world AND the Jehovah's Witnesses pedophile problem all on the same page.

• Crafty Lady
    Crafty Lady

I left in 75 and harbored a few lingering doubts that something might happen by the end of the year. I don't have access to any literature but I remember it was freely talked about--that 75 was the big one. All the people in the congregation talked about it and were never corrected by anyone--even CO. They can back pedal all they want, but those of us who were around in the early 70's know the truth about what happened. Of course, the fact that we left means that we're all apostates. Some of the people still in know the truth in their heart of hearts but are probably too intimidated to say anything.

Crafty

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES 1975 END OF THE
    Tehachapi News, CA - Jul 24, 2007
    With the same vivid recall i also remember exactly where i was in 1967 at age 10 when i heard the Watchtower (Jehovah's Witnesses) announce the end of the ...

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Here is one of the talks that led to the hype. The speaker was NOT just a publisher - as other threads will show.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/140408/1.ashx

My guess is that the whole 1975 thing was a "membership drive"... scare loads of people into running into the JW "Ark-like arrangement"... to increase the booksales and get the proceeds from those that sold their property and possessions !

AO

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Google JW/WT 1975 mega pages

Jehovah's Witnesses prophesied the end would come in 1975 (YouTube video)

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Let him listen to Sinutko's talk. I have a few more talks from circuit and district overseers that are relevant. Also I could post scans from the relevant pages from the Awake! and Watchtower but I am traveling so I don't have access to them at the moment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit