Have you ever researched your family history, any tips?

by restrangled 12 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

I have been researching on and off and just started up again for my dad. I've gotten back to 1869 and could get further, but all I run into is adds to pay on line companies. Has anyone ever subscribed or used one of these out fits. Or do you have a few secret places you go. North Carolina is the state I am searching in. Jackson and Holcombe counties.

Your help is much appreciated.

r.

• Scully
    Scully

If you know the city where they lived, you can check libraries for what are called "city directories". They contain sections of all people in the city sorted by name or by street address. It should have the names of all the residents of the home.

You can also check census records using the public archives. This is something you have to do in person, usually, and it involves looking through scads of microfilm.

I would not recommend listing your name or your family members' names online. Genaeology websites can be used by people with ulterior motives (ie, identity theft) to get information about you, such as full name, mother's maiden name, date of birth, addresses, etc.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    You can also check census records using the public archives. This is something you have to do in person, usually, and it involves looking through scads of microfilm.

That is what I thought of, too.

I've used Ancestry.com before with a free trial. It told me everyone's names, who married who, who gave birth to who, etc. I couldn't believe the number of WI family members there were over NJ!

• restrangled
    restrangled

I found my Fathers name on some website but it did not show he was deceased. It also showed my mother's maiden name which freaked me out because that's always a question from bankers etc., for a password.

It showed 3 children but no names or locations, ....thankgod.

I would never consider entering our latest info. I'm looking for 1850 and back.

r.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I have done extensive research on my family history. There are lots and lots of websites.

One of the best is www.familysearch.orgIt's the Mormon site and if anyone in your family or ancestry has done the research, it will be in their files. It is free too. They have some census records, including UK 1881.

I have paid at www.ancestry.com and found lots there too. You can access census records wayyyy back for a fee. You can pay for a month, or six months, or a year, so it's not a bad deal.

Google Cyndi's list too. Very good info. I don't have the URL but it should be easy to find.

Most states have good genealogy searches too. http://www.usgenweb.com

Also, you can search on your family name on a blog (very good one) at www.genforum.com

• Mum
    Mum

My cousins have researched my dad's family. I have done some research on my mom's. I found a site once with social security info on the deceased. One thing I learned was that my mother's family name had undergone several spelling changes. Names can be tricky that way.

Regards,

SandraC

• lies all lies
    lies all lies

Its been about 7 years since I've done it but just want to mention that in addition to the Mormon website someone else mentioned, they also have records located in some of their local branches and allow anyone to come in and use them. I've gone to the large church/temple up on Santa Monica Blvd. in Los Angeles a few times and they have EVERYTHING you could think of. The smaller branch close to me has info as well, just not on the same large scale, but they will do loans between the sites if something you need is not at the local site...(again, its been a few years so that might have changed). Also, they have volunteers who steer you in the right direction and give you tips on how, where and what to search. I think it might be on their family history website where they have the free downloadable software program that is like a no frills "Family Tree Maker".

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

My father has researched our family back to Wales, ancestors that fought in the Rev war, and the War between the states. The government has military record on family members if you have some basic info to give them on your ancestors. You might have to give the unit they served in, but its amazing the stuff you can learn about their lives once you track em down.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I have a subscription to ancestry.com and it is great. The access to census data, already prepared family trees, newspapers, ship records, immigration statistics, birth and marriage records, WWI and WWII records, etc. really is critical to good research on your family history.

• FreeGirl2006
    FreeGirl2006

My favorite website, in addition to the ones mentioned, is onegreatfamily.com. It is subscription based. The census records are a great place to gather information. Also, the ellisisland.org if your family immigrated to the US.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit